U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,170 times

Advertisements

Alright. I've posted a few other threads on our CRT TV Nook facelift, our living room makeover, some of our master bedroom makeover (which still is a little in-progress), so now I'm going to post about our budget master bathroom makeover.

Here are some pictures of the master bath as we were cleaning out our master closet and bathroom (we redid all the hanging and shelving storage in the closet already as part of this project):

It was really just bland and beige. And we both really hated the lights. It has been way down on our list of rooms to decorate to our liking but we finally decide to start.

BEFORE:

Normally we're both involved in the design process together but we have both been swamped lately and my wife especially. So, one day when I had some free time I set out to put together a plan for the room and to show my wife. I got immediate approval.

Started out painting the entire room (BM American White):

Then I started spacing and face-nailing the shiplap boards. I used a quarter for the spacing:

The spacing is more consistent in person than it looks in that shot. Some of those were just tacked up and could 'rock' back and forth a little before I secured them well which gave the impression that the spacing was uneven toward the bottom. I just don't have a more recent picture yet.

Then we potted some of our succulents:

Next we took down our large frameless mirror, cut it into smaller pieces, and re-installed the smaller pieces with shelving in-between. Deciding between staining or painting the shelves.

And that's kind of where we are today so far.

That back wall with the boards will have a piece of art that I will make that will go inside of a frame we picked up at a thrift store. We'll also be hanging a chandelier from the ceiling over the tub. Probably this one from Schoolhouse Electric:

I still also need to buy lights to replace the current ones, as well as go back and counter-sink all the nails, putty, sand, and paint the boards. We will most likely do some sort of faux roman shade with a modern fabric above the window. I will also probably install more shelves over the toilet.

At some point I would love to rip out the fiberglass shower and install a tile one but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle that. I will probably hire that one out.

I'll continue to post pictures as we make progress, but we are limited to a little bit of time on the weekends right now to work on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 12:34 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,720,850 times
I like your accessories and plan. I would have done floating shelves though, the L brackets show too much...

Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,170 times
Thanks

I was going to do floating shelves, but we decided to go with exposed brackets with a warm metal finish to them (The screw heads will be swabbed with a 'gold' paint similar to something we did in the rest of the house so that they match the brackets). The main reason we did this is that we are utilizing small bits of brass-colored items throughout the room. Just a bit on the chandelier, brass on the one towel/robe hook set, brass framed picture mirror, etc. I thought it may tie in the warm-tones a little more. We'll find out when it's done though!

If we don't like it then what I will do is simply go the 'reverse' route and put the L-brackets on top that way they will 'hide' behind the items stored on them. It reduces the load they can hold but the load on those shelves is extremely light anyway. So we'll see!

Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,720,850 times
Ha! Good idea to reverse them and hide them behind the items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating