Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:56 AM

63 posts, read 213,589 times

Advertisements

I would like to add hardware to my kitchen cabinets and have oil rubbed bronze throughout the house, but stainless steel appliances. What color hardware is best for dark cabinets? Photo of my kitchen is below. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
What hardware to put on dark kitchen cabinets?-kitchen.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I ran into this dilema also. i had cabinets that had the oiled rubbed bronze handels, I loved them....anyway, i finally re did my kitchen cabinets and now have black onyx bead board cabinetry, but what type of handels do i use?

It was a sin to throw out the fairly new handels I just bought, ( I tried to re-vamp the older cabinets),
Brushed nickel would have worked, but my ceiling fan, and all the rest of the apartment has the bronze colored accessories, door knbs and bathroom faucets, so i just put them back on. It has been over a year now, and Im OK with it, do they stand out, no, but they dont look terrible, and at this point, i dont even care.

I would go with the bronze and keep the color thru the house flowing.

but............since you have the SS, you could go with the brushed nickel. I have black appliances so i was kinda stuck.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:01 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
We got some like this (this is the first random link I found.) Most places call them twisted basket I think. There are various finishes from the silvery weathered that we go to bronze and brass.

3071 Twist Pull Handle Iron MP - Cabinetry - Hardware - Our Range

I forgot I had a picture showing them.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:51 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,249 times
I would go with simple, sleek and longer length handles in a brushed nickel finish to echo the stainless steel. It'll also be a nice contrast to the dark cabinets.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:40 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
We have dark cabinets and went with antique brass, looks good. If you can't decide you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a handle to see if you like it and the color, if not you can return it and try all over til you find the color style you want.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I am getting brushed nickel - the design isn't necessarily what I would have picked but my builder is including them at no additional charge, so I can live with them for now. And I think they will look nice with the stainless appliances. It's an easy enough fix if I want to swap them out down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
What hardware to put on dark kitchen cabinets?-knob-rubbed_satin_nickel_toggle_knob-3239sn.jpg   What hardware to put on dark kitchen cabinets?-timberlake-sonoma-cherry-java.jpg  

Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
I would definately go with a sleek tube silver handle to mimic the stainless steel handle on the frig. They are very much in style and cost a bit but worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
What hardware to put on dark kitchen cabinets?-screen-shot-2014-09-29-11.38.09  

Old 10-18-2014, 06:24 AM

11 posts, read 25,078 times
Well for the dark cabinet if you will use some dark colors then the dark cabinets have sucked all the light out of the room, but if you put some bright color then, it is not necessary for replacing those gloomy boxes. It depends upon you that which color you want to put in your dark cabinet.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I would definately go with a sleek tube silver handle to mimic the stainless steel handle on the frig. They are very much in style and cost a bit but worth it.
I'm always getting things (like my headset) caught on these handles - I SO don't like them for that reason.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:56 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Kayekaye's choice is the one I envisioned also. You need something to perk it up in there! I did also like the idea of a twisted design (could be a slow twist along a solid bar). Is it not a 'new' idea to mix metal finishes in a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating