U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks for the link to ifttt, that looks great. I have several saved searches that I regularly run on craigslist and ifttt looks great for that. I refuse to even look at any MCM furniture in stores, it's crazy expensive. I think quite a bit of it is just butt ugly anyway and I'm not sure how it can become appealing just because it was made at a certain time. We have never gone "furniture shopping" per se, we usually run across a piece we like then sort of build a room around it. We have some antique japanese tables and chests and a few decent vintage craftsman pieces but they are all rather minimalist looking and should work well in the new house. The only stuff I'm looking for is a recliner with ottoman so that I can finally ditch the ugly one that my husband has had for the past decade, and we need a dining room set because I sold my old one before we moved.
The Tudor sounds great, that's one of my favorite architectural styles. We only found one Tudor that was within our price range (they aren't all that common in California) but lost out when it sold for several thousand over asking. We both love houses with character but so many have been ruined by flippers that the inventory continues to shrink - we must have looked at a dozen 'neutered' craftsman homes, it was enough to make you cry.
I can understand that you don't personally like MCM, but you're logic is backward. It's not appealing because it happened to be made at that time. It is appealing because of it's style first and foremost but that style happens to define the time in terms of modern furniture. It just happens to be from that time, thus I happen to like a lot of pieces from that time. There are also a lot of ugly pieces made during that time that I do not like, so I don't just like something because it was made in a certain time (and I don't know anyone like that either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM

33,642 posts, read 15,440,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I can understand that you don't personally like MCM, but you're logic is backward. It's not appealing because it happened to be made at that time. It is appealing because of it's style first and foremost but that style happens to define the time in terms of modern furniture. It just happens to be from that time, thus I happen to like a lot of pieces from that time. There are also a lot of ugly pieces made during that time that I do not like, so I don't just like something because it was made in a certain time (and I don't know anyone like that either).
It is not that I don't like MCM, I do. My response was just poorly worded, what I meant to say was that it appears that some people are willing to pay a great deal for anything labeled MCM just because it dates from that period. I grew up in a house full of MCM furniture during the 50's and 60's but it was lovely, understated and elegant. Most of it was Danish, or at least had a Scandinavian influence and it shaped my taste in furniture greatly. However, I didn't care for then and still don't like furniture or decor that looks like it belongs in an episode of the "Jetsons"

Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is not that I don't like MCM, I do. My response was just poorly worded, what I meant to say was that it appears that some people are willing to pay a great deal for anything labeled MCM just because it dates from that period. I grew up in a house full of MCM furniture during the 50's and 60's but it was lovely, understated and elegant. Most of it was Danish, or at least had a Scandinavian influence and it shaped my taste in furniture greatly. However, I didn't care for then and still don't like furniture or decor that looks like it belongs in an episode of the "Jetsons"
Understood! Your clarification makes perfect sense. My tastes seem to align with yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating