Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

We are looking for an Eames Lounger replica, there are several places online selling them from around $700 to $1600 and all the chairs but one that I have found are made in China; does anyone have any experience with any of these? Quality seems to vary quite a bit and I would like to find one that is a decent replica and is comfortable.

thanks in advance =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I'm right there with you. From the hundreds of "reviews" out there on blogs and forums that I've tracked down, you're really hit and miss with Modern knock-offs. The only names that come up as being worth buying are Plycarft and Selig (which are either the same thing, or have overlap) ~ but neither are sold new.

No one knows what they have when looking used though. They'll be labeled all wrong and you have to really LOOK at the item, and know what you're looking for. Hence, I'm still looking. I'm sure the same will be true of a new knockoff... and just because I haven't found a recommendation for new, doesn't mean they aren't out there (I'm not looking for that, don't have the money), but you will likely get MUCH better recommendations for forums dedicated to MCM design.

Good luck, and good taste!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 AM

I spent a ton of time on one site with 6 pages of posts and it ended up being more of an attack on some poor woman who was looking for a replica than anything else, I guess the design purists take offense at anything short of a Herman Miller Eames and were really beating up on her lol. I will keep looking though and if I find anything interesting I will post it here, thanks!

Old 09-28-2014, 04:40 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We are looking for an Eames Lounger replica, there are several places online selling them from around $700 to $1600 and all the chairs but one that I have found are made in China; does anyone have any experience with any of these? Quality seems to vary quite a bit and I would like to find one that is a decent replica and is comfortable.

thanks in advance =)

I don't have personal experience with this company but it appears they pay pretty close attention to detail and claim they use similar high quality material. Friends got a Mies van der Rohe bench from this company and they are very pleased.

Lounge Chair & Ottoman Reproduction | ModernClassics.com

The price is a bit higher than you want to pay but still half the price of Herman Miller.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,637 times
I was recently at an event and there was an interesting company who is dedicated to the replica furniture designed. It was awesome. Lounge chairs were with a very good quality and very comfortable. I found the website and they have the chairs you are looking for

Search results for: 'lounge chair eames'

Hope you find it useful

Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claircon View Post
I was recently at an event and there was an interesting company who is dedicated to the replica furniture designed. It was awesome. Lounge chairs were with a very good quality and very comfortable. I found the website and they have the chairs you are looking for

Search results for: 'lounge chair eames'

Hope you find it useful
Thanks, but they are apparently in GB, even if they delivered to the US it would be prohibitively expensive

Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Nearly all the replicas I have seen are crap. A few good ones out there but I have to urge to avoid chinese knockoffs if at all possible.

They are certainly expensive chairs, but if you cannot afford a new one, I would suggest the following (in order) before ever considering a current knock-off:

1) look for a good used/vintage one
2) look for a vintage one that needs some TLC and repair it or get someone to repair it
3) look for an 'of-the-era' knockoff. The plycraft and other similar chairs are actually pretty decent. They are all much cooler than most current knock-offs.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 AM

We've been watching for used ones, but there aren't many around & I would want to see it before buying it. If I can't find a decent knockoff, we might just give up on the idea and look for a different recliner / lounge chair. It's not critical that we get one, the reasoning behind it was that we just bought a mid century modern house and have no interest in replacing all of our furniture and replacing it with MCM stuff, but thought one of those chairs would be a nice touch in the living room and would fit in well with our other stuff which is mostly plain enough that it works with almost any period decor.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:22 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Since you're just looking, then set up an IFTTT Recipe to watch local craigslist, ebay, whatever sites: http://www.ifttt.com

No active looking. FWIW, my wife and I went through the same thing. 1950's brick ranch, the front living room was unused (and empty, we didn't have furniture to fill that space), so after a year of craigslist shopping it was filled for about $700 with a couple couches, 3 chairs, a display hutch thing, a few tables (coffee/end), some wall hangings, etc... we even swapped out our dining table when a cool 50's expandable one came up locally, then "upgraded" the chairs when a set of 8 Navy chairs showed up one night. No rush for this kind of stuff, it'll turn up in time and hunting it down is most of the fun. Though, be warned... MCM is mainstream enough that retail stores will absolutely ask 300~3000% more than a private sale.

We're starting all over again (sold that lovely brick ranch) with a 1930 brick Tudor Revival... looks a Touch odd with MCM furnishings, not totally out of place though. Still, it's a fun process and I enjoy finding lovely old pieces, even if they need assistance to be all that they can be.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the link to ifttt, that looks great. I have several saved searches that I regularly run on craigslist and ifttt looks great for that. I refuse to even look at any MCM furniture in stores, it's crazy expensive. I think quite a bit of it is just butt ugly anyway and I'm not sure how it can become appealing just because it was made at a certain time. We have never gone "furniture shopping" per se, we usually run across a piece we like then sort of build a room around it. We have some antique japanese tables and chests and a few decent vintage craftsman pieces but they are all rather minimalist looking and should work well in the new house. The only stuff I'm looking for is a recliner with ottoman so that I can finally ditch the ugly one that my husband has had for the past decade, and we need a dining room set because I sold my old one before we moved.
The Tudor sounds great, that's one of my favorite architectural styles. We only found one Tudor that was within our price range (they aren't all that common in California) but lost out when it sold for several thousand over asking. We both love houses with character but so many have been ruined by flippers that the inventory continues to shrink - we must have looked at a dozen 'neutered' craftsman homes, it was enough to make you cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating