Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 02:58 AM

7 posts, read 4,876 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My everyday working hours is 3pm ā€“ 12am, and then I usually arrived at home at around 1am. I really wanted to sleep right away, but, sometimes, Iā€™m having a hard time to do it. Can you suggest a good room set up that is comfortable for sleeping?

Thank you in advance for all the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
We all have trouble getting to sleep sometimes. Most of the time I think it is because we can't shut our brain off at the end of the day. There are too many things we are thinking about to allow sleep to come.

A few suggestions - your bedroom needs to be a calm place. If you have a TV in the bedroom, move it to another room. You need to associate sleep with the bedroom, not watching TV.

A dark room will help - do you have room darkening drapes?

Some sort of "white noise" may help such as nature sounds. My favorite is the sound of the ocean waves CD I play very softly when I am ready to go to sleep.

And of course a cup of warm milk before I retire for the night also seems to have a calming effect.

Just as you would help a child get into a going to bed routine, you need to establish one for yourself. You could be physically exhausted, but, if you are not able to calm your mind, sleep will not come.

Mary2014

Old 10-04-2014, 03:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Bed, no lights, and heavily medicated!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 04:47 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
So many factors come into play. How much time elapses from when you leave work and go to bed? Is your sleep environment quiet? Is it dark?
Most of us need a buffer between activity and going to sleep. I would have my bedroom dark and quiet, and then I would read with a dim light until I felt sleepy. By reading you can leave the day behind.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
COOL room for most, Cold for me, not freezing but cold.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFields View Post
Hi everyone!
My everyday working hours is 3pm ā€“ 12am, and then I usually arrived at home at around 1am. I really wanted to sleep right away, but, sometimes, Iā€™m having a hard time to do it. Can you suggest a good room set up that is comfortable for sleeping?
It's unrealistic to expect to go to sleep an hour after you get off work.

But you've been given some good suggestions. "Screen time" - watching TV or being on the computer - is known to make it hard to sleep so avoid those when you get home. Keep your bedroom as free as possible of reminders of activity - no TV, computer, exercise equipment, etc. in there. Keep the room as cool as your electric bill will allow. I like a soft night light but some people sleep better in a totally dark room. You have to experiment to see which is best for you. If you do need dark, make sure you have lined curtains because with your hours, you probably need to sleep until after sunrise.

I make sure I always have couple of *boring* books handy, for nights when I'm having trouble nodding off. They calm all that buzzing brain activity and also make your eyes feel tired. If you read them on a Kindle, it should be the e-ink kind, and not one with a backlit screen.

If you must eat when you get home, be sure you know which foods help and which foods harm your sleep. Herbal tea is good; even if it doesn't make you drowsy, a cup at bedtime makes a good routine and sends a signal to your body that it's time to relax. For some people, a single beer or glass of wine does the same, but for others it has the opposite effect.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:22 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFields View Post
Hi everyone!
My everyday working hours is 3pm ā€“ 12am, and then I usually arrived at home at around 1am.
I worked rotating shifts for about 12 years, with long stints on both 3pm~11pm and 11pm~7am. First off, it takes at Least a month to get "used" to a change, so if you've just Recently started this shift, give it time. Second is that you have to figure out your own "wind down" program. Mine is pretty easy, read a book and I'm ready for sleep within an hour. My wife's can't seem to turn off work, so it takes her an Easy 3 hours to be ready for sleep, and then she can't sleep well.

To add onto the already good other suggestions, you need to be Very rigorous about maintaining the same bed and wake times. Getting them off will make it harder for you to get to sleep, it takes 4~5 days to recover from one day of messing up the schedule.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I doubt that the room has much to do with it. You brain needs time to turn off. Creating some calming habits after work would probably help more than doing anything to the room.

ETA in addition to that, maybe figure out what kind of bedding you like. I find I want a certain weight on me, regardless of the temperature, which makes it hard int he summer when its warm, but I want covers.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I used to work similar hours and struggled with sleep issues for a long time. You do need a little more wind down time before expecting to get to sleep. As others have said establish a routine and stick t it. go t bed and get up at the same time each night even on days off for at least 6 months.

When you get home don't watch tv. My routine when I come home late and need to get to bed is t take a hot shower have a small snack and a cup of chamomile tea or glass of wine(alcohol makes me sleepy). Read for 30 minutes or so and then go to bed.

Even if you can't sleep stay in bed.

Make your bedroom comfortable for sleeping. That means making sure you have bedding that you enjoy being in. The right sheets blankets and pillows do make a difference. Cooler is better or sleeping. My best nights sleeps have been in a room with no heat in the winter when it would get down to around 40-55*f with an extra blanket. Colder than that and you are too tense with the cold to sleep. Also keep it dark. Use blackout or room darkening curtains to keep outside light out. Make it quiet. If you have distracting outside sounds try a white noise machine. A lot of alarm clocks come with some white noise selections that will play repetitive soothing sounds for an hour or so to help you fall asleep.

Learn to meditate. And by meditate I don't mean think about things I mean silence your mid and learn to be still inside of your own head. One of the most valuable things I have learned was how to silence my own mind. If you can't be silent try building yourself a special peaceful place to go inside of your head and spend time wandering in it.

If you wake up. try not to turn on any lights or do anything stimulating. Just stay quiet. If you need to get up for the bathroom do that and get back into bed right away and try to keep our mind quiet.

It does take time to train your body to sleep regularly but it is worth doing.

Whatever you do you need to do the exact same thing every night before you go to sleep.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Room darkening shades/curtains so you don't wake up when the sun rises.

Calming colors. No clutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating