U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,122,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it is difficult to look "elegant and expensive" when it has drink holders.
Indeed! Both styles say "Man Cave" or "Bachelor Pad" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM

3,403 posts, read 4,721,942 times
Yes, that was my dilemma as well. Both sets are really man cave looking, not elegant. So with that said, its really your choice for your lifestyle.

But really, who doesn't design their room for a tree? Now THAT is the what it is in the back of all our minds, come on admit it!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,447 times
thank you everyone for the feedback.. this room is a family room and mainly used to watch tv/ relax and also entertain guests. Currently we are renting this place for one year only so floor plan doesn't really matter as we will move out. Since both are genuine leather sofas and sectional and big investment I wanted advise on the look/ color and style of the two options.

Also, sectional is rearrangeable as it comes in separate pieces that are put together and we can take out any piece we want if needed for next house/ new floor plan.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Good for you. *shrugs*
I'm not looking for kudos. I was just saying that was kind of a random comment since there are a lot of factors including the fact that this might not even be a room they put a Christmas tree in. I am very picky when it comes to sectionals. I do not like large overstuffed man-cave style sectionals, but they can work in the right lounge spaces. I particularly like Room & Board's Reese sectional.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 PM

16,719 posts, read 15,520,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I'm not looking for kudos. I was just saying that was kind of a random comment since there are a lot of factors including the fact that this might not even be a room they put a Christmas tree in. I am very picky when it comes to sectionals. I do not like large overstuffed man-cave style sectionals, but they can work in the right lounge spaces. I particularly like Room & Board's Reese sectional.
I wasn't giving kudos.

I was replying to your inane comment regarding my personal opinion on how I choose my furniture, which really didn't require any input from you on how random it was.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,231 times
Quote:
I wasn't giving kudos.

I was replying to your inane comment regarding my personal opinion on how I choose my furniture, which really didn't require any input from you on how random it was.
I was being factitious regarding the kudos

I just wasn't sure why your opinion on Christmas tree placement affected the look of the OP's living room - that's all. I wasn't trying to start an argument.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM

86 posts, read 112,500 times
Honestly, I don't like either one for that room (I think it may be the cup holders).
I would pick something that would allow the room to look spacious and allow space for walking.
Our family room gives us enough room for a sectional and a chair. My parents have a chair, sofa, and love seat which works well for their room.

Last edited by FabulousE; 10-07-2014 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 AM

5,659 posts, read 5,571,403 times
Quote:
No thanks.

I like my couches that don't have to be set up a certain way even when you move them around. The chaise in a modular sectional looks dumb without sitting right next to the end of the couch, and the other part of the couch has no armrest, so it looks dumb by itself. If you're going to pull them apart, they are just couches; they might as well be normal ones.

Also, I don't like having to force my guests to lean forward to get their drink from a coffee table. I like end tables. In a sectional, many guests are either sitting on the part that pulls down.

Well, some people buy a couch and their houses or layout are so particular they can't move it around anyway. That's just how it is modular or not.

As far as modular sectionals go, I have seen ones where you can pick and choose which pieces you want, how many you want, etc. They don't only come in standard forms. I always thought it would be nice to have a modular sofa one day where I could even store an extra piece or two elsewhere except for when it's needed. (Maybe when I don't live here...)

I would say that yes, when you're in the middle you can't really reach for your drink (same if you're in the middle of a three-seater) and that can suck but we actually ended up putting a tray in the middle of our sectional to hold stuff---decorative and useful. Works out pretty well. We like to eat at the couch.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM

10,131 posts, read 8,705,272 times
A sectional piece can work well if in a corner or one end is against a wall with the other end dividing a room. The original picture of a sectional blocking the door is how a sectional should never be used.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I don't find sectionals very practical. No one can sit in the corner if there are people on either side because your knees touch anyway. And it blocks the traffic flow. Might as well do a sofa and loveseat in an L shape for the same seating effect and better traffic flow and flexibility. Just my opinion - do what makes YOU happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating