U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,106 times

Advertisements

New here... Need some help with color paint on living room's and dining room's wall. We are going to close a house in November. Minor renovation is needed. We are going to repaint majority of the wall but cannot come up with an idea on what color and on which wall.

Pictures attached!

Living Room:
For a regular room, we usually paint the ceiling white/ivory, 1 or 2 walls with darker color then the remaining wall with lighter color. For this living room, because of the special ceiling and beam, we don't know how to distribute the color so it won't look too weird and small with more than 1 and darker color. We are leaning on color such as orange/peach in the living room. Which wall should we paint darker and up to which part of the ceiling?

Dining room:
Currently the kitchen and dining room has the same color, Yellow. We are not planning on renovating the kitchen so the yellow color will stay with the kitchen. We do want a different color for the dining room though. Any idea can be given? We can keep yellow on 1 or 2 walls but would like a different color on somewhere. What color would go well with yellow? and which wall should we paint?

We are not artistic at all and no experience. Hope to hear some suggestions from you all here. Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Color suggestion for living and dining room!-capture.jpg   Color suggestion for living and dining room!-capture2.jpg   Color suggestion for living and dining room!-capture3.jpg   Color suggestion for living and dining room!-capture4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:55 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,104,111 times
IF that was my living room, it would all get painted one color.

I would repaint the kitchen and eating nook (really dislike yellow!), but I would keep the walls one color as it is all one room.

I am not a fan of accent walls or white ceilings, so you might not like my advice!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 AM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times
I am also not a fan of accent walls, I think they sound good in theory but in reality, they make a room look chopped up and smaller. I would pick an attractive taupe or gray neutral but with some color and paint everything the same color, leaving the ceilings white or off white. Use artwork, textiles, etc. to create focal points rather than painting a wall.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,718,190 times
Are you keeping all your red/burgundy furniture and art? I wouldn't do peach or orange with that. A taupe or grey would be better with that like emm74 above said.

I would not split the color in the living room on the ceiling either, it will look very odd and make it smaller.

I would also keep the kitchen and dining room the same color, makes it larger then.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,676,781 times
I am probably the last person to give color advice (took me 16 paint samples to decide on a color), but, I will pass along what I learned from my painters.

Be sure to use a ceiling paint on the ceiling. Benjamin Moore ceiling paint has an "ultra flat" finish and causes the room to look much taller. I would not have believed the difference it made had I not seen the original paint on the ceiling next to where they used this "ultra flat" ceiling paint.

It looks like you have lots of windows- so lots of natural light. Paint colors look very different depending upon the type of light you get in the room. I had the opposite problem - a great deal of indirect light. The paint I finally selected looks totally different in direct sunlight - sort of a grey/white, but, in my home it is a very soft looking slate blue. So, whatever paint color you select be sure to try some paint samples first in the room you are going to paint.

Also, with regard to having paint samples mixed - those 2 oz - 8 oz paint samples can be misleading because it is hard to adjust the colors to be added to a very small can of paint. While you may not need a 16oz can of sample paint, it is more likely to represent the actual color when you order the regular paint in gallon cans.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,106 times
Thanks all for the suggestion. Seems like painting in one color is a better choice and won't chop the living room into pieces. I will go ahead and look for the best color. By the way, the furniture there belongs to the seller. So they won't be there by the time we move in.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:55 PM

39,062 posts, read 48,006,211 times
First off, I think its a very pretty house, and I would not feel the need to do anything about the paint right away. It looks fine as it is.
I am not a fan of yellow walls either, but if you are keeping the yellow in the kitchen, I would also keep it on the back wall of the dining room.
I also don't like accent walls much, but if you feel you must, do one long wall in the living room behind the sofa, in a shade that compliments your furniture.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,718,190 times
Do you have furniture that will be moving in? Or are you buying new furniture? It would be best to pick paint to work with your furniture.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:03 PM

25,326 posts, read 16,297,798 times
I've used accent walls successfully in a large great room. Two sides were painted a shade deeper than the other walls, and it looked glorious in certain light. However, I painted the wrong color on the walls.

You have lovely warm floors. I recommend painting the dining room ceilings a light warm color, and painting the walls cooler. I think the yellow you have clashes with the floors, as would red, orange or peach. Ouch. It hurts just thinking about any of those colors.

Think cool neutrals such as green grays, or grayed blues. These colors are available in abundance now. Pick some color chips and tape them up in the room to decide which ones work. (I would not choose colors until I had closed and had time to just be in the space.)

I like the idea of painting the entire living area in one color, because of the unique and lovely ceiling features. What color would you like to wrap yourself up in? Which of the cooler colors make you happy. Don't go too dark or bright, but choose something that works well with your furnishings. Make sure your choices blend well with the permanent features of the home. Stay away from the warm colors though. Those beautiful floors are quite warm on their own, and need to be cooled down with wall color. After you decide on the major colors, you can consider accent colors, IMO.

Your new home looks lovely.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 PM

5,075 posts, read 8,901,552 times
Well, #1, white vinyl divided pane windows do not go with that interior. I'd swap those out or figure out some way to minimize their intrusion because they're going to stick out even more if you change the color of the walls to something other than white.

You have a lot of really good options with that living room design. At minimum, I'd pick a slightly different shade for the wall next to the stair well and the stair well itself, so it appears as a different dimension. With the 'beamed' ceiling, there should be some subtle transition from the 'wall' to 'ceiling' area color wise. Otherwise the beams look like they're just floating or tacked on (which they probably are, but as long as they're there, make them look like they're actually part of the ceiling rather than something stuck on the wall)

After a second look, another option with that nice high ceiling is to do the walls a slightly darker shade than the ceiling, then replace those wall sconces with something that directs light at the ceiling. This will give the whole room a nice 'glow from above' all with indirect light. and make the ceiling feel even higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating