U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 AM

99 posts, read 83,149 times

Advertisements

We are remodeling our kitchen and looking at having 48 inches to the right of the sink for cabinets/drawers and then it would turn making an L with another 48 on the other wall.

I need help figuring out what makes the most sense to do. My everyday plates, bowls, glasses, mugs etc would go in the uppers and then I need base cabinets with drawers and possibly the garbage.

I'm looking for any advice on what size cabinets and drawers would make the most sense. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
That would vary widely.
You need to know WHAT all you plan to store in there, then plan accordingly!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 AM

As I said, I need to have my everyday plates, bowls, glasses and mugs at least on top and silverware, utensils in the top drawers and then whatever fits in the other drawers. I don't know what would work, how many drawers, the width of the drawers(with or without the garbage there).

Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
And as I said, that varies widely!

For the bases alone....
Do you need to store a Kitchen Aid mixer in the base?
How about a toaster oven?
Crockpot?
Blender?
Rice cooker?
etc
etc
etc

For the uppers/drawers....
Lots of mugs?
Dinnerware service for 4 or for 24?
Storing fancy knives in the drawers?
Utensils in a drawer or a crock?
Where do you want your spices?
The punchbowl will go.... where?

Only YOU know what you need to store. And you need to plan accordingly!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 AM

All my bigger items, such as the mixer, crock, pots and pans etc will all be somewhere else and I have the normal amount of glasses, plates and bowls. I don't have huge amounts of anything. I'm just trying to see what the average size cabinets for everyday plates, bowls, glasses etc are and what would work. Drawers would be silverware, utensils, maybe dishtowels, tinfoil etc. I was thinking of doing angled drawers in the corner(drawers pull straight out) instead of lazy susan or any of that(which I don't care for), but angled drawers may take up too much space and leave very little room for any other decent size drawers.

This is only one part of the kitchen. I will have bigger things, such as mixer, bread maker, crock pot big pots, that I rarely use etc in my pantry and another area with drawers for my pots and pans etc and cabinets for other things.

I just need to figure out this area. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM

13,438 posts, read 51,478,836 times
For the base-
18", 18", corner/lazy susan, 18", 18"

For the wall-
12", 36" blind, 36", 12"

But, there could be many other configurations. Some people may prefer a "caddy-corner" cabinet for upper corner instead of a blind. Some designers "insist" on matching upper and lower sizes "for symmetry"- I call BS on that! What works, is what "works" for that person (you).

Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 PM

655 posts, read 913,943 times
I like the idea of deep drawers on base cabinets. You can have a silverware or utensils inset in the drawer that slides out of the way. I also like a section of open shelf on upper section.
Let us know where you keep your spices. I like mine by the stove but they would probably be better off in pantry.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 AM

8,571 posts, read 11,459,328 times
Instead of the corner lazy susan consider a pull out drawer for pot storage. I understand that you don't care for the Lazy Susan but they are great for the corners where you ordinarily can't reach what is in the back.

As others have stated, you say that you don't have huge amounts of anything. What does that mean? 2 place settings, 4, 8? I spent hours arranging my kitchen cabinets when I redid my kitchen but I had to figure how my stuff would best be accommodated and no one could tell me that without knowing what I had.

You can use the grid shelves from the Container Store or Walmart, of course.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:58 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,378,480 times
My kitchen has 3 lower and 3 upper corner cabinets. On the lowers (with hinged folding doors) one has doors that total just 14 inches and it's too narrow for comfort. The opening is just 10.5" at it's widest point. The others have doors that are 17" and 20" with openings of 11.5" and 14.5".

This is once instance where bigger is better IMHO.

The uppers all have single doors and openings of 12" and that is OK.

I hope that when you're all done that it is a great kitchen that you love.

Last winter when a blizzard that dumped two feet of snow had me housebound for several days I came up with a plan not just to remodel the kitchen but to relocate it to what is now a sun room at the back of the house. Tried to figure out which of my friends has the fastest getaway vehicle since I'd need to rob a bank to afford it. Sadly they all drive old clunkers and beaters.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:27 AM

66 posts, read 183,526 times
I did a remodel last year and went with mostly drawers in the bases since it's easier to get at things without having to crawl around or move one thing to get at another. I do have a U-shaped kitchen, so I also went with one blind and one lazy susan. I was also getting rid of some upper cabinets that blocked the view of the dining area, so I went with a pantry that has lower drawers. I do cook a lot and love gadgets, which is why I went lots of drawers.

Think about how you use your kitchen and what works best for storage and easy access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating