U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM

21,986 posts, read 13,019,548 times

Advertisements

You've posted a few times about Kitchenaid. You may want to check out Consumer Reports as they don't rate KA particularly high and puts it as one of the brands most prone to need repairs. LG was the other brand with the most reported problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 AM

17,086 posts, read 10,477,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You've posted a few times about Kitchenaid. You may want to check out Consumer Reports as they don't rate KA particularly high and puts it as one of the brands most prone to need repairs. LG was the other brand with the most reported problems.
I have both a KA fridge and a KA dishwasher. The fridge has a terrible fit & finish with a crisper drawer that slides out on its own, and the clips that hold the clear front panel in place are so poorly designed that they broke the first time I took the drawer out to clean it. And, of course, the clips are no longer available for replacement, so I finally glued the panel in place with only partial success. Additionally, the top rack on a one-year-old dishwasher has broken yet again, so I've shelled out another $27 for a replacement piece that holds the rack to its rail. I'm fed up. I will NEVER buy another KA again in my life! Complete lemons.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-15-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM

99 posts, read 82,965 times
Can anyone recommend a good reliable CD FD fridge? What about a good 30" gas slide in range with convection and a dishwasher?

KA has the best warranty and if any repairs were needed, the appliance store near us that sells KA has repair guys. If there is a better brand, can I find someone that can repair it if need be and does it have a good warranty?

Of course, that's not the only reason I was considering KA. I've been told at 2 different appliance stores near us that KA appliances are very good. Yes, I know they sell it, but they have other brands as well, and both recommended KA.

If KA really isn't very good, what brand is?

Last edited by Kathy246; 10-15-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,457,801 times
Default refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
Mawoods, can you tell me what color you got? Did you also get stainless?
We got stainless steel. Our daughter had gotten the same model several years ago and had no problem.Very roomy inside. The only negative is the ice maker is not very large. Not a big deal to us. We saved thousands of dollars from the price at HHG, Lowes and HD by just going online and ordering the model from Brandsmart. They delivered and set up exactly on time and professionally.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,488,945 times
Quote:
I would love to get a black fridge, but since I've heard they scratch badly no matter how careful you are and there is nothing you can do about it, I will most likely end up with the stainless, although I've never been fond of it. At least it doesn't scratch.

If anyone knows of a good, reliable CD fridge other than KA that is easy to clean, doesn't scratch(or rust-some ss rust), please let me know. I've heard the fake stainless scratch. Also, it would be great if I could put magnets on it.

I know KA recently made their SS fridges magnetic. Anyone have the newest KA CD that is magnetic? If so, do you find it hard to keep clean?
My black CD Samsung side by side has a smooth front it's glossy and does show scratches and fingerprints
the sides are more of the pebbled look (don't know what it"s actually called) it's not as pretty but doesn't seem to show scratches or fingerprints could be a good option for your finish, of course it is magnetic.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM

14,708 posts, read 21,731,184 times
Default Bosch

Quote:
What about a good ... dishwasher?
Bosch.
Buy one with a list price of $1000+.
Cleans well.
QUIET.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 AM

Mawoods, how long have you had your fridge? If KA is so bad like others have said, with things inside breaking and the stainless being so hard to clean, I'm wondering since KA fridges are made by Whirlpool, if Whirlpool fridges are any better. So, how long have you had it and do you find it hard to clean the SS? I've heard that a soft cloth(micro-fiber) with cold water and then drying it with a soft cloth works well. Not sure how well it really works since something one person says works, another says doesn't work. Also, is it magnetic?

Anyone with a black fridge try using an appliance pen to touch up the scratches?

Last edited by Kathy246; 10-16-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,457,801 times
Default refrig

Quote:
Mawoods, how long have you had your fridge? If KA is so bad like others have said, with things inside breaking and the stainless being so hard to clean, I'm wondering since KA fridges are made by Whirlpool, if Whirlpool fridges are any better. So, how long have you had it and do you find it hard to clean the SS? I've heard that a soft cloth(micro-fiber) with cold water and then drying it with a soft cloth works well. Not sure how well it really works since something one person says works, another says doesn't work. Also, is it magnetic?

Anyone with a black fridge try using an appliance pen to touch up the scratches?
I have had ours for 2 months but our daughter has had hers for 3 years. Both doing well. STainless steel can be a pain but all finishes have an issue. I just use a little wet cloth and dry. Every once in a while I will use a Weiman cloth to clean it but rarely. The inside is very easy to adjust shelves. It also feels and looks substantial which I like. We did not want to pay a lot of money for a top of line name which is not always reliable but did not want the bottom either. Whirlpool is in the middle. I needed the counter depth and this was very good fit.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:58 AM

17,513 posts, read 16,345,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
It's not possible to be harder to keep clean than the stainless. I've had to let go of my wanting the fridge to look unblemished and just accept the water spots and streaks, but it's hard.
Our Frigidaire stainless has a pebbled finish on its side (faces the door as you walk into the kitchen) and its front has some sort of anti-smear finish....no problems with fingerprints or water stains. I wonder why they don't make all stainless like that.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 PM

CA4Now, how long have you had your refrigerator? Any problems with it or has it run well with no problems? Do you find it to have durable shelves and bins? Is it on a faux stainless finish? I've heard any of the fake stainless can scratch. How has the finish held up on yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or