U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:04 PM

99 posts, read 83,059 times

Advertisements

We are debating on whether or not we should go with a CD French door refrigerator rather than standard depth. We were looking at getting the Kitchenaid 25 cu ft standard depth, but it sticks out so much into the room. We are not able to recess it into the wall and even putting cabinets around it to make it look built in, it still sticks way out and cabinets would be 30" deep, which we think is way too deep.

I've been looking at CD FD models without ice dispenser and they're all way too small. I was hoping if we went with one, that KA would have one big enough, but neither KA or any other brands make a CD bigger than 23 cu ft. At least not that I'm seeing.

Does anyone know of any CD FD fridges without ice dispenser that are bigger than 23 cu ft?

Also, our old top freezer model is only 18-19 cu ft. I am trying to figure out if a CD will have more space in it than my smaller fridge, or because of being CD, if it will be the same or not much more than our old one.

Last edited by Kathy246; 10-08-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM

4,637 posts, read 7,826,920 times
You understand what those numbers mean, right? I ask because you're unsure if 23 cubic feet is bigger than 18~19 cubic feet (yes, it is, by 4~5 cubic feet of interior space). And are you really understanding what the difference between 23 and 25 cubic feet are?

I'm going to hazard a guess that you're Really concerned about useability. In which case I'll ask you, have you never changed refrigerators before? Be that through moving, the death of an old unit, the want for a different color/brand.. whatever. You'll Quickly adjust and adapt to what you have available. A month after using whatever fridge, you'll probably never even think about whatever issues concern you now.

Oh, last thing, "counter depth" isn't really accurate (or wasn't when my wife and I looked a couple months ago). The main cabinet may be, but the doors still stick out another 1.5~2 inches, so it'll Still stick out. It's only going to make about 2" of difference for our room but since that's how much space we'd need to open the back door... can't believe the prior owners poor decisions.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 PM

17,321 posts, read 5,786,996 times
This counter-depth French door refrigerator by Fisher & Paykel is 17 cu. ft. It is one of the few counter-depth fridges that doesn't have an ice dispenser. I've been looking for the same thing as you for the past several weeks, but that type of fridge is very hard to find. I ordered this model at my local retailer last month, but it won't be delivered until mid-November. Even though it's smaller than you want, it looks like it uses the space well:

RF170ADX4-ActiveSmart™ Fridge - 17 cu. ft. Counter Depth French Door

Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 AM

14,191 posts, read 15,266,073 times
most counter depth won't hold much. if you are more than a family of two that isn't all that much into cooking I wouldn't buy one.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 AM

21,992 posts, read 13,047,010 times
I am getting counter depth for my new build. I had a standard depth in my last house, and I was not happy with the way it looked. And in my new house, I have a totally open floor plan and my kitchen is one side of my living room. So the aesthetics are very important to me.

I am not thrilled with the loss of capacity, but it's a tradeoff that I am knowingly making. FWIW, french door counter depth models tend to be particularly poor on freezer space so I'm getting a side by side. I will be using a fridge in the garage to help make up for some of the lost space.

I really, really want this fridge but unfortunately it does not come in counter depth. I'm sure it will come out in that size at some point but as this is a new build with no refrigerator, I don't have the option to wait until then.

Samsung Ultra-High Capacity 4-Door French Door Chef Collection Refrigerator RF34H9950S4 | Refrigerators

Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 AM

323 posts, read 647,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
most counter depth won't hold much. if you are more than a family of two that isn't all that much into cooking I wouldn't buy one.
I wouldn't make that generalization. It really depends on the design. We recently moved and bought a counter depth refrigerator and it's awesome. Compared to my old full size fridge, I can fit a lot more because it is so well designed. I haven't missed the "extra" space of a traditional model once--and we're a family of four and I cook a lot! Our fridge is a side-by-side though and I think that makes a difference. We have friends with a full-sized french door fridge that is impossible. I would go crazy trying to shoehorn my food into that thing.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 PM

31,531 posts, read 34,790,778 times
I have a counter depth side by side with an ice maker but NO thru the door stuff. I get much more room in the freezer and no puddles on the floor that way. It's been plenty roomy for my family of 4 the last 12 years, and I love it, but unfortunately this type of thing isn't made today, and even in regular depth the pickings are slim. I've checked all the sites and brands and it's just not there. Even when I purchased it they were phasing it out and I had to have it ordered special. Here's hoping for a long and healthy life for my faithful Frigidaire.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 AM

264 posts, read 278,395 times
I got a counter depth french door Kitchenaid a few years ago and LOVE IT! Things are so much easier to access and don't get lost in the back of the fridge. It's a bit wider to make up the difference in depth.

Mine doesn't have anything thru-the-door, but does have filtered water from inside which I use all the time. I've not seen another model/mfg with that feature.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 AM

17,595 posts, read 16,394,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
We have a counter depth side by side Frigidaire and it holds plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
"counter depth" isn't really accurate. The main cabinet may be, but the doors still stick out another 1.5~2 inches, so it'll Still stick out.
True!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 AM

21,992 posts, read 13,047,010 times
They do stick out a little bit so there is clearance to open the doors, as opposed to a true built in where the doors are hinged differently. But you still save about 6 inches or so compared to a standard depth. Personally, I think the ideal is to have the fridge recessed so you can get a standard size for less money with more room but still have minimal projection into the room. Unfortunately, that's not always an option - it was not for me in my new build, the plans just didn't allow for it and there was nothing I could do to change that.

I'm also looking at getting one of the newer styles without projecting handles, which saves another 2+ inches of clearance space.

One of these two.

LG DoorinDoor 21.6 Cu. Ft. CounterDepth SidebySide Refrigerator with ThrutheDoor Ice and Water StainlessStainless look LSC22991ST - Best Buy

Samsung Showcase 21.5 Cu. Ft. CounterDepth SidebySide Refrigerator with ThrutheDoor Ice and Water StainlessStainless look RH22H9010SR - Best Buy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or