U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,676,909 times

Advertisements

I'm sick of people buying beautiful vintage houses and then "updating" them with some generic HGTV-style garbage, so it's nice to see that some people really know how to restore a place like this rather than gut it. They sanded the white paint from ENTIRE house and restored the knotty pine. I can't imagine how long that took.

Alicia and her husband restore the knotty pine in their 1955 cabin - so inviting! - Retro Renovation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 PM

50,616 posts, read 40,078,766 times
I love knotty pine - it's so warm and inviting. Glad to see that some people are keeping it up.

We just bought a 1997 built house. Now - I couldn't deal with the wallpaper so that had to go, as well as the carpet everywhere (we put in hardwood floors), but one thing I am DEFINITELY keeping from that era is all the polished brass light fixtures. This was a custom built home and a Parade home and the fixtures are not builder grade, they're very high end for the most part. So...I told my husband, "Time to embrace the brass!"

Funny thing is - I bought a new light fixture for the powder room, and it's blingy brass, which I was surprised to find, and I was discussing it with the woman in the lighting store. She told me, "Don't you dare get rid of those brass fixtures - not even the shiny ones. Antique brass is already back in style and I have a feeling polished brass will make a comeback soon too."

Anyway, regardless of whether it does or not - we're going with it! I LOVE the big brass chandelier in the dining room and we just blinged out our front door with all new brass fixtures...and even a polished brass kickplate! It looks awesome - we even had a guy stop and ask us yesterday if he could take a picture of our front door because it's so beautiful and he was trying to explain the whole brass and trim thing to his builder, who just wasn't getting it! WOOHOO!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,676,909 times
"Embrace the Brass"...you could be on to an ad slogan! I, too, am learning to appreciate the brass in my 1979 mod house. I have a sort of mishmash of doorknobs and was thinking of trying to replace them all with 1970's polished brass ones. I like chrome but the brass really does go better with all of the wood and earth tones. Unfortunately there aren't any original '70s light fixtures so I'm having to replace those one at a time when I find cool ones.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 AM

50,616 posts, read 40,078,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
"Embrace the Brass"...you could be on to an ad slogan! I, too, am learning to appreciate the brass in my 1979 mod house. I have a sort of mishmash of doorknobs and was thinking of trying to replace them all with 1970's polished brass ones. I like chrome but the brass really does go better with all of the wood and earth tones. Unfortunately there aren't any original '70s light fixtures so I'm having to replace those one at a time when I find cool ones.
Hey, they're out there! I see them pretty often in second hand stores. Do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore around you anywhere?

Here's how we embraced the brass on our front porch - new brass hardware on the door, new brass kick plate, numbers and light fixtures. The really cool thing is that the other day a guy stopped by the house and actually asked if he could take pictures of the front door. He is building a house with a similar facade and he wanted to show his builder the look he was after!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:21 AM

33,089 posts, read 61,990,346 times
Wow, thanks for that link. I love knotty pine.

Kathryn, your front door is fantastic. Nice job.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 8,922,003 times
This is a dilemma we've faced with out house. What to do with the vintage features? Restore, remove or hide? Most of the time we've restored, but there were a few that were beyond restoration, and others where restoration was too big of a job. In those cases, I've figured out how to cover them up in a way that they *could* be restored at some point if desired. A good example of this is the original hardwoods in the bedrooms and hallway. They were neglected, damaged and had thousands of carpet staples and nails in them. Refinishing them would have been huge job, and that's not something I could take on at the moment. Fortunately they were level so all I had to do was pull the staples and nails before laying a floating floor on top. With unlimited time and budget it would have been nice to restore them, and who knows, maybe that'll happen at some point. For now they'll remain hidden.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,175 times
I love vintage! Best thing to do is restore

Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM

13,428 posts, read 51,459,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaor View Post
Best thing to do is restore
No. "The best" thing to do is PRESERVE.

Restoring is for FUBAR!

Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,634,890 times
That house looks amazing! After removing some wood paneling from my house, there is one thing I've found out...wood paneling (even the the stuff) is TOUGH. Seriously, - try hitting it a piece hard with a hammer. I doubt you'll even make a dent. Drywall on the other hand...you'll probably knock a hole all the way though and need to patch/paint. Heck, just about anything can dent drywall. I have a family member that does rentals and he loves unpainted paneling because of its durability. When a renter moves out, all he has to do is wipe the paneling down and he's ready for the next tenant...this saves all the cost and labor of painting.

With that said, I don't think many homes can pull off paneling like the one in the link. Being a cabin, that house looks to be well suited for paneling with the wood beams and ceilings. Your average 40-70s home with paneling probably has a blend of modern finishes, contrasting white/popcorn ceilings, modern furniture, etc and the paneling just sticks out like a sore thumb. Most of these homes don't have a lot of big windows either so the paneling just makes the house look dark and smaller.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM

25,446 posts, read 16,399,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I'm sick of people buying beautiful vintage houses and then "updating" them with some generic HGTV-style garbage, so it's nice to see that some people really know how to restore a place like this rather than gut it. They sanded the white paint from ENTIRE house and restored the knotty pine. I can't imagine how long that took.

Alicia and her husband restore the knotty pine in their 1955 cabin - so inviting! - Retro Renovation
just want to point out that this is a cabin, so knotty pine is appropriate. I am thankful I don't have to live with that on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or