U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,515,673 times

Advertisements

Finding a lighter shade of paint is usually easy. You find the color swatch and use a lighter shade. Unfortunately, the paint I'm using IS the lightest color on the swatch. Does anyone know how I'd go about finding a lighter shade of that paint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,104,111 times
Use white?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:26 PM

13,393 posts, read 51,351,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Finding a lighter shade of paint is usually easy. You find the color swatch and use a lighter shade. Unfortunately, the paint I'm using IS the lightest color on the swatch. Does anyone know how I'd go about finding a lighter shade of that paint?
Halve the formula.
Any paint store mixer will know exactly what that means-

They take the formula for that particular color and "Half" it. Or, if thats too light use a 3/4 formula.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Halve the formula.
Any paint store mixer will know exactly what that means-

They take the formula for that particular color and "Half" it. Or, if thats too light use a 3/4 formula.
Exactly what I was going to say. I have gotten down to the 3/4 before.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 PM

5,721 posts, read 13,921,613 times
Your paint store can shoot the quart formula in a gallon can. It's done all the time. FWIW, when going halves on a light pastel, it changes the color reflection only a little. To give you an idea, one drop of blue colorant in a gallon will change it considerably in a side by side comparison. Another helpful hint, unless you have another color against it, the light pastels turn to white regardless of formulation. You can have a real nice pastel beige as an example but once applied in a room with no other color to bring it out fades into white by your eye sight. Paint the trim Brilliant White and the pastel pops as a warm seeable color. Color is a very strange thing that most never master.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:59 PM

13,393 posts, read 51,351,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Your paint store can shoot the quart formula in a gallon can.
I know my math isn't the best in world, but I believe that would be called a 1/4 recipe.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:48 AM

255 posts, read 331,623 times
Here's what I did. My walls are white but there are dozens of whites. Went to Lowe's and I took home some sample brochures that were for whites and a few white paint color cards that I thought might be the closest. Held them up to the wall in bright light and one was obviously the closest. I went back to Lowe's and had them create the color formula in a white sample jar. Asked the guy what he was adding to the white and he said 'white'. So what they added must have been a highly pigmented white in order to make the white whiter. And the sample jar was only $3.00. Sure enough, the white was right. I had spackled nail holes and put a couple coats on the spots and they disappeared! If you do this, try to get a brand that has the finish you want. In my case I needed semi-gloss and they could make it with only one brand. The other brand I think was either matte or glossy.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 AM

16,441 posts, read 13,541,063 times
Many colors cannot be made in quart size.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 AM

128 posts, read 456,672 times
Check into other brands - the mixing bases that they start with differ. And some, such as Sherwin Williams, might be able to translate the formula.

Another option - add sheen to the type of paint; if it is flat, then eggshell, semigloss, etc, can add a slight amount lighter.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM

11 posts, read 19,106 times
For the better color combination use color chart as a guide, because your eyes will be the best deciding factor for final colors that you will create. With the help of using white paint you can be able to lighten your paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or