U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:07 PM

8,571 posts, read 11,459,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Real brick, just like natural stone like travertine, can be sealed.

Kathryn,
Question for you. I know that it can be sealed but how good is the seal? For example. Fortunately, I was able to get to the granite in time to get the ring out but....... I placed a bottle of olive oil on my granite counter and in two minutes a ring developed. (I now have a paper towel inserted in a beer cozy around my olive oil and it goes only on the glass cutting board). That said, my granite counter had been sealed twice, one by the company and the second time by me and I nearly had a permanent ring. So, going back to the sealed brick, aren't you up against the same thing?

As I understand it, while it can be sealed it really isn't foolproof. I love the look of brick and toyed with it myself but once I thought about how hard it would be underfoot in addition to the staining I decided against it. Maybe the brick is able to be sealed better than I was lead to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 PM

15,713 posts, read 11,452,999 times
Quote:
My understanding is that you can get an aged look in brick.

You may also consider travertine. We're putting that down right now in our kitchen (also going for the vintage look - sort of a Downton Abbey downstairs kitchen look), and here it is right now - not sealed or grouted. It's in the Versailles pattern. Not terribly expensive (laying it and the extra adhesive required adds to the cost a little - the pattern is complex), but as soon as my daughter walked in she said, "Oh wow, Mom - IT LOOKS LIKE THE FLOOR OF AN ANCIENT CASTLE OR CATHEDRAL!" BINGO!

We're going with painted cabinets too, and soapstone counter tops. Old World country, sort of turn of the 20th century is what we're aiming for.

But aged brick sounds absolutely gorgeous.
I think that is just beautiful but there is just something about the color and shape of bricks that calls to me.

I's like a little darker brick than this.
Kitchen Brick Floor - Cottage - kitchen - Smith River KItchens
Here is one darker, in a herringbone pattern
http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content...ick-floors.jpg

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-11-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 06:23 AM

50,732 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Kathryn,
Question for you. I know that it can be sealed but how good is the seal? For example. Fortunately, I was able to get to the granite in time to get the ring out but....... I placed a bottle of olive oil on my granite counter and in two minutes a ring developed. (I now have a paper towel inserted in a beer cozy around my olive oil and it goes only on the glass cutting board). That said, my granite counter had been sealed twice, one by the company and the second time by me and I nearly had a permanent ring. So, going back to the sealed brick, aren't you up against the same thing?

As I understand it, while it can be sealed it really isn't foolproof. I love the look of brick and toyed with it myself but once I thought about how hard it would be underfoot in addition to the staining I decided against it. Maybe the brick is able to be sealed better than I was lead to believe.
Wow, that's weird about your granite. I guess natural stones are all different, even slabs of granite. I say that because I had granite in my kitchen and bathrooms in my previous home and not only did I never reseal them (it was done only once - when the house was first built and we lived there four years), I never had anything stain them. So...your experience is disconcerting!

I guess I'm about to find out when it comes to travertine. It's a lot more uneven and porous than granite or brick. I'm a little nervous about it.

We're going with soapstone for the counter tops this time. It is virtually inpenetrable so it doesn't need to be sealed. It's also super heat resistant. I need all that because I can be rough on counter tops!

Back to the brick - it must depend on the quality of the sealing. Also - I think if a person puts down brick, it's best for an antiqued look in a kitchen. In other words, some distressed look to it would be fine. In fact, I'd go with distressed brick to begin with. That way, some wear and tear would add a patina to the overall effect, which would be nice.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 AM

50,732 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I think that is just beautiful but there is just something about the color and shape of bricks that calls to me.

I's like a little darker brick than this.
Kitchen Brick Floor - Cottage - kitchen - Smith River KItchens
Here is one darker, in a herringbone pattern
http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content...ick-floors.jpg
I absolutely love both of this. The first one is my favorite because of the variations in the colors of the brick. What a gorgeous look. You HAVE TO keep us posted and post pictures as well, whatever you decide to do!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:01 AM

21,993 posts, read 13,064,337 times
I think it looks great but would be extremely hard on your feet, legs and back. I know I am looking forward to the more forgiving surface of the hardwood floor I'm installing in my new house.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,163,785 times
I have seen two homes in my area with brick floors, and they looked great. However, I have to agree with others who said it would be hard on your feet. I can't imagine a toddler or elderly person enjoying a brick floor if they lived there.

If you really love the look of brick, could you do an accent wall somewhere with brick? I love when there's a fireplace or brick wall that is part of the interior wall. Lowe's has backsplash that is a brick pattern that is about 1/2" thick. Just thick enough to look real.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 PM

262 posts, read 494,921 times
Maybe you could consider something with the look of terracotta? We almost chose one but in the end flipped to a different tone because we wanted a softer glaze. But I love the look of terracotta and it sounds like it might be similar to the brick idea.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:28 AM

11 posts, read 19,181 times
Quote:
Real brick, just like natural stone like travertine, can be sealed.
Agreed with your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or