Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 05:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,251 times

Advertisements

Hello.

One of the local thrift stores just went nuts and is selling off their herd of office chairs for $1.00 each.

As it happens, I was looking for something comfy to roll over here and there in the house. One of the chairs was fairly handsome for office furniture, and sitting in it I got that sensation of Pleasure Juice streaming in my veins like you get in a really amiable chair.

But it's kinda dirty.

It's cloth upholstery. I've seen spray upholstery cleaners, and I've even used one or two, and the object looked more or less cleaner but where did the dirt go? I didn't end up with rags as dirty as they should have been. Does the dirt just go inside the cloth? Does it just disappear from the universe? Where does it go?

The seat and back aren't bad at all but the arms are a little nasty.

And oh by the way, if you have experience with a particular brand of type of cleaner that you've found to be exceptionally good (and not perfumed), please let me know.

Or any other recommendations or experiences would be very welcome. I'm not too fond of guesses, so if you don't know much about the topic at hand but just want to chat, maybe you can say a few words about your cute kids or something.

Thank you kindly.

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,991 times
Well, this is more chatty than helpful. I bought a used dining room set recently a some of the chair seats need a little cleaning. I called the manufacturer and found out the cleaning code for the fabric is "S" which means solvent only. I really wish it were "W" for water-based because it would be so much simpler. Anyway, I bought Guardsman Citrus Dry Cleaning Fluid, but it's for oily or greasy stains and my chairs are more dingy than greasy. It's definitely not unscented. I've vacuumed the seats and used the brush attachment and that did help quite a bit and I've used the dry cleaning fluid which helped a little. I can't say that the cloth got very dirty, so I don't know if I'm really getting any dirt with the cleaner. I should devote some more time to that this weekend. I want it looking spiffy so that my cute kids can sit around the table for Thanksgiving and my adorable dog can wait for crumbs underneath it!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I have a Hoover steam cleaner for carpets. It also have a handheld attachment for spot cleaning and upholstery. Extraction is the way to clean- vacuum, steam clean, let dry, vacuum- done! And clean!!!

I've done the upholstery in my truck a few times- every time I'm done it looks practically brand new.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I agree with K'ledgeBldr, steam extraction is the way to go. I'd recommend Folex to use as the cleaner. It's says it's for carpets and it does an amazing job on them but also works on all kinds of other surfaces. You can use it as a surface cleaner, but I think you'll get much better results if you use a steam cleaner. If you have access to one, you can pre-treat spots and particularly dirty areas and spray Folex directly on those areas, and then you can use it as the solution in the steamer.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM

I am aware of steam cleaners but I don't think that it's appropriate to buy or rent something like that for one $1 chair. Although I did think about following a Stanley Steemer truck to wherever it's going and trying to get the guy to blast off the chair in the driveway for a couple bucks....

Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Although....if there is someone with a cleaner here reading this and wouldn't mind knocking this off for $you-tell-me, I'm receptive. I'm in Durham.

No perfume please.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:31 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I am aware of steam cleaners but I don't think that it's appropriate to buy or rent something like that for one $1 chair. Although I did think about following a Stanley Steemer truck to wherever it's going and trying to get the guy to blast off the chair in the driveway for a couple bucks....
I wouldn't look at it as "paying to rent a steamer is too much for a $1 chair." I would look at it as "With spending $1 plus steamer costs, I'm getting a comfortable and clean chair for only $X amount!" If you can find one to borrow or a someone who is willing to help you out for a small amount, that's even better, since $X ends up being less.

But good, comfortable, sturdy office chairs are not inexpensive, so chances are you are still getting a good deal at the end of the day.

Last edited by emm74; 10-18-2014 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Do any of the supermarkets here rent steamers like we had up North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating