Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 145,448 times

Advertisements

We just had quartz countertops put in last week. Am I being unreasonable to expect the seam to look better? The width of the seam is 1/8". I've read that the seam should be 1/16" or less. I've already called Lowe's (I know, I know - but they have a customer satisfaction thing where they don't pay the contractor unless you're happy with their work) and someone is coming out tomorrow to see the seam. My question is, can the correct epoxy/color matching make this seam less conspicuous? Or is the seam too wide? Should I demand them remove the piece and reconnect the seam? Is that even possible since it's all glued down?? As of right now, the seam color is too light and isn't even flush with the countertop.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Quartz Countertop Seam-overhead-view.jpg   Bad Quartz Countertop Seam-side-view-800x600-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
That is one of the worst seams I have ever seen. Honestly. I am shocked any installer would actually leave something so unlevel -- that will collect gunk and ultimately fail...

A professional installer would have dry fitted that joint to be MUCH tighter and then used a more closely matched color to make the seam disappear.

It is generally NOT difficult to cut free new adhesive. My real worry is that it is always hard to recut a seam in the field instead of having both pieces in the shop to test fit...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Before jumping to any conclusions, let's hear what they have to say about the install.

chet- that's pretty firm statements for a 2-D image and possible color inconsistencies due to different monitor settings. I'd have to see it in person to make an opinion.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I must say that the first pic, my comment was : Eh maybe a little off but to be so unhappy I don't think so. Then pic #2. I am with you 100 percent that is a disaster. Stick to your guns and if necessary demand a new top if they don't refit to your satisfaction.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 145,448 times
Default can anyone share NICE 1/8" seam pics??

Thanks for your opinions. The installation manager is coming this week to see what he can do and let me know what my options are. They seem willing to work with me, so I'm not giving up hope just yet... I don't know how they could deny this is a poorly done seam.

Does anyone have a pic of a GOOD seam which is 1/8" wide? I would like to see a 1/8" seam with well blended epoxy - doesn't necessarily have to be quartz; granite would be fine. I would rather not pull the countertop apart if they don't have to.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 191,790 times
Can you follow up on what the install manager said about your seam? I just had quartz from lowes installed, and my seam is making me sick

Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 AM

If anyone is interested, I found out why Lowes Seams are so terrible....... They actually bevel the edges at the seam so that when the two pieces are put together it actually creates a groove that needs to be filled. Has anyone ever heard of this? I did some calling around and I couldn’t find one company who does this or who has ever heard of this. My best guess as to why they do it this way is that it will speed up the installation process not to mention making their job much easier. This way all they have to do is get the two pieces close, glue them, then fill in the groove that they created on purpose. I fully understood going into this type of counter top that there would be a seam, but had I know that the fabricators actually create a groove to be filled in to save them time and hide their lack of craftsmanship, I never would have purchased from this place in the first place.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2014 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Default Lowes Quartz counter top problems

If anyone is interested, I found out why Lowes Seams are so terrible....... They actually bevel the edges at the seam so that when the two pieces are put together it actually creates a groove that needs to be filled. Has anyone ever heard of this? I did some calling around and I couldn’t find one company who does this or who has ever heard of this. My best guess as to why they do it this way is that it will speed up the installation process not to mention making their job much easier. This way all they have to do is get the two pieces close, glue them, then fill in the groove that they created on purpose. I fully understood going into this type of counter top that there would be a seam, but had I know that the fabricators actually create a groove to be filled in to save them time and hide their lack of craftsmanship, I never would have purchased from this place in the first place.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2014 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The "time savers" that some "high volume" type shops engage in are definately NOT what one should accept for ALL products -- I know Staron (from Samsung) recommends that seam edges should be back-beveled at 45 degrees and supported from the underside with a plate -- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...MvKZ3En9_p9XWQ BUT there are other guidelines for other products.
When you get a product where the "speckle pattern" is going to be very much interrupted by a huge seam with bevels the sales consultant and layout people really out warn the customer...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
Egads! That seam looks like something I would do. Very amateurish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating