U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM

99 posts, read 83,056 times

Advertisements

I can only do countertop and upper/lower storage to the right of the sink, which doesn't give me much lower storage since the dishwasher will be there. Also, I don't have much space on the basement wall for counter and drawers(about 54") since there has to be space between that counter and the fridge to get through to the basement. With 54" on basement wall and the small amount of lower drawer space to the right of the sink(with dishwasher), that's not many drawers and most will be quite small with probably only one 28-30" wide drawer stack with deep drawers for pot and pans. I need to find a way to have more lower storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:12 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,776,737 times
What's going under the windows on either side of the fridge?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 PM

13,421 posts, read 51,436,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
Unfortunately, all 3 windows were just replaced and staying...
Well, I guess you're SOL.
Welcome to the world of poor planning.

Still, replacing the windows is cheaper than having a wasted wad of money on a nonfuctional kitchen!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:59 AM

Unfortunately, the windows are way too low to put a counter or anything under them. They are about 22" from the floor. My husband wanted to keep the windows low and just replace them with the same size in order to keep the style of the house. The house is an 1800's hand-hewn log home. We are trying to keep as much of the original style throughout the house(expose the log etc). Believe me, I totally get that keeping the windows low makes it harder to design. That's why I posted here. I was hoping for some ideas and suggestions from others, not just negative comments saying nothing can be done. I hope I'm not sounding rude. Sorry if I am. I know it's a hard kitchen to design. That's why I was hoping for some help. If I knew it was going to be this hard to design, I would've just left it the way it was! lol.

Thank you to those that actually gave me a suggestion of what we could do.

If anyone thinks of anything else we could maybe do, I'd appreciate any ideas.

Last edited by Kathy246; 10-21-2014 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM

TRANSformStudio,
I don't quite follow the second sketch. Also, I can't move the sink to the exterior wall(where the 2 windows are). My husband says it would be a problem with the duct work etc in the basement, plus he doesn't want anything in front of either of the 2 long windows. I know you can't really see it, but there is a window on the other wall above the sink in the photo I posted. I will email you, as I have other questions you may be able to help with. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM

10,902 posts, read 6,385,047 times
Kathy, have you considered doing a room swap? Putting the kitchen where the current Living/Dining room is and then moving the dining area to where the kitchen is now. It's a great size and space for a dining room but not a great size or layout for a kitchen You may have more options if can move the kitchen all together.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM

We can't switch the rooms since it would be extremely expensive, can't move plumbing and don't want to be entering the house into the kitchen. Also, we have 2 doors right on the other side of the LR which are our bedrooms and eventually(not for quite awhile) changed to being the LR/FR and a den. Yes, I agree that the LR is much bigger, but switching the rooms is not an option for us. We will be looking for 1 or 2 tall cabinets(china cabinets?) for the LR/DR for more storage at some point. If something extended slightly into the LR/DR that may be ok, but we have to work with what we have in the kitchen.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 AM

50,536 posts, read 40,015,705 times
OP, you really have some challenges to work around.

That being said, I think you ought to forego the idea of an island and instead focus heavily on maximizing every bit of cabinet space that you have. Built ins, slide outs, hooks, adjustable shelving, and maybe even hooks on walls or a pots and pan rack from the ceiling, shelves above all windows, etc.

I just moved from a very large kitchen with tons of storage, to a much smaller kitchen. Though we're nearly totally gutting the kitchen, we can't increase the size - all we can do is increase the storage capacity, which we're doing with TONS of extra built in stuff. We've been able to maximize the storage enough for me to feel comfortable in it - but I also just had to get rid of a lot of stuff - which I didn't really need to begin with.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...es-coming.html

If you have a closet close by, you could store all your small appliances that you don't really use that often in that closet. If you are like me, you have TONS of plastic wear and baking dishes that you rarely use - I bet you could get rid of a lot of those space hogging items.

Also, can you build in a very shallow shelf or cabinet (maybe down the side of an upper cabinet) to hold spices and oils? We added that and I think it's going to be a huge help. Or you could get those very shallow shelves that you add inside a cabinet door. Nothing's worse than trying to dig around and find spices or oils or whatever that are all jumbled up, taking up tons of space in your very few and precious upper cabinets. I call that "taking up real estate that's too valuable."

Old 10-23-2014, 11:40 AM

21,992 posts, read 13,042,464 times
I think I read somewhere that you are doing this yourself to save money. Personally, I think that's a bit penny wise and pound foolish. You have a difficult space with a lot of limitations. Take a few hundred dollars out of your budget and find someone who can work with you on an hourly basis to get the layout right to start with. You'll spend more than that if you have to fix it down the road - or pay for it in frustration of having to live with a kitchen that doesn't work as well as it could.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 PM

Kathryn,
Thanks for the ideas! We have a narrow inside front porch the length of the living room and kitchen and haven't done anything with it yet, so we're turning the part by the kitchen into a walk-in pantry where I'll store food, big items(bread maker, mixer etc) and rarely used items. So, going from no pantry to a walk-in will help considerably!

I saw your post of your kitchen remodel. Can't wait to see photos when it's all done! The Soapstone is gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or