U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 PM

5,075 posts, read 8,925,250 times

Advertisements

I'm a little shocked that dad would remove the insulation from above the baby room and not replace it. Combine that with 600 holes in the ceiling and it's going to be a bit drafty.

He could have made this project a lot simpler, cleaner and easier to install by adding a drop ceiling. Basically prefab the drilled sheets and screw them to spacers. All of the assembly work could have been done on a workbench and the existing ceiling would have remained untouched except for a few screw holes into the joists. If I saw this done in a house I'd really wonder what other hare brained remodeling had been done.

Some people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:47 AM

50,732 posts, read 40,119,236 times
I could have told this dad a lot easier way to do this, if only he'd asked me.

My husband and I love stars on the ceiling but we thought we were a little too old for the glow in the dark stick on ones. So I bought some glow in the dark clear paint at the craft store, and some star shaped stencils in various sizes. We painted the ceiling in our bedroom a beautiful sky blue. Then we stood on a scaffold with the stencils and a little paint brush and we stenciled stars in this "invisible" paint - all over the ceiling. We did a crescent moon as well! And a few constellations.

During the day and when there's light in the room, you can't see the stars. But when we turn out the lights - STARS APPEAR! The really cool thing is that I swear the "twinkle!" They stay illuminated for nearly the entire night.

I don't know how long this lasts - all I know is we did it in our former house and they were still twinkling away for two years when we sold the house. One of the first things we did when we bought our new house was paint that master bedroom ceiling and add the stars!

We didn't tell the new owners of our former house about the stars that "come out at night." I bet they were surprised!

We absolutely love this ceiling and will sometimes just lay in bed looking up at it together. It's so peaceful.

If my kids were still living at home, I swear I'd do this in every room. I may still do it.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:53 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,262,503 times
I would absolutely hate that in our bedroom, I have to have no lights on at all to sleep, no glow in the dark, no shiny anything, dark and nothing but dark.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:48 AM

36,501 posts, read 45,571,541 times
I even have to put a cloth over the clock on my bedside table. And if I try to rest during the day I wear a mask. Very sensitive to any light my whole life but since macular degeneration 7 years ago I'm really sensitive to any light.

Having said that I know I would have loved stars or few twinkles in the ceiling as a kid.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,163,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I see this through a different lens. To me this is what Daddy did for himself. He spent a lot of time and energy doing this and I am certain the kid will not appreciate it. Guests might.
I disagree. When this kid has something that none of his friends have, he will appreciate it.

On a related note, we recently stayed at a bed and breakfast that had lasers shooting into the trees around a bonfire, and it made the appearance of twinkling stars as the leaves blew around. It was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or