U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,427,779 times

Advertisements

Hi group,

I'm doing a major renovation and was wondering if it would be inadvisable to have two different kinds of hardwood in the house. Here's the scoop. The existing 2 1/4" red oak flooring is salvagable in the two downstairs bedrooms; the rest of the existing flooring will be scrapped. So I can either try to match the existing floors in the rest of the house, which I would prefer not to do, as I'm just not a big fan of oak, or I can keep the existing oak in the two bedrooms (about 300 sf) and put down 4" select grade hickory in the remainder of the house: living room, foyer, dining room, kitchen, and master bed. The other option would be to rip out the remaining 300 sf of oak and go all hickory, but obviously cost is an issue. Logistically, the two downstairs bedrooms and downstairs bath are lined up on the north side of the house; the open kitchen/dining/living space is on the south side. The master bed is upstairs.

If I did go with both hickory and oak flooring, I would use a natural, water-based stain.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 14,467 times
Personally, I would keep the same flooring throughout. It's always a good choice, and if I understand your post correctly, you're not all that fond of the existing flooring anyway. Avoid kicking yourself later on by going ahead and replacing it now.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 AM

21,987 posts, read 13,024,841 times
Unless you can stain them the same color, replace the old floor and keep it consistent throughout.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,174,354 times
Why not rip out the floor, go all hickory and then see if you can sell all the good wood via craiglist or something to help offset the cost a bit.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:30 PM

25,381 posts, read 16,340,388 times
Carpet the existing oak floor? These are bedrooms, right? Put down the wood floor you want in all the other rooms. Most people want carpet in their bedrooms anyway. If you don't like the oak hardwood, then I'd put down the hickory.

Or, have the old floor sanded and stained the same as the hickory. They might blend well enough, that no one would notice the difference.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,742,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Carpet the existing oak floor? These are bedrooms, right? Put down the wood floor you want in all the other rooms. Most people want carpet in their bedrooms anyway. If you don't like the oak hardwood, then I'd put down the hickory.

Or, have the old floor sanded and stained the same as the hickory. They might blend well enough, that no one would notice the difference.
^^^^ I would probably carpet the bedrooms.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 11,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Why not rip out the floor, go all hickory and then see if you can sell all the good wood via craiglist or something to help offset the cost a bit.
Totally agree.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 AM

21,987 posts, read 13,024,841 times
I would not cover up hardwood with carpet while putting down different hardwood everywhere else in the house. If you ever want to take up the carpet at a future date, you are still stuck with the issue of different types of woods, plus then you have to worry about matching the hickory if you wanted to change it then. You can always use an area rug on top of the hickory if you want that floor covered, but it sounds like you have been ok with the existing oak floors.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,427,779 times
Carpet??? Blasphemers!!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 PM

999 posts, read 1,458,258 times
I think it's perfectly fine to have different wood species in the same house. The main part of our house and hallways has real ash hardwood. The bedrooms have laminate that has the same hue as the ash, but it's not real. Since kids are hard on floors we decided not to put real hardwood in the bedrooms. And our bathrooms, laundry room, and family room all have the same ceramic tile. The most important thing, I think, of different flooring in the same house is to have a plan for the transition from one flooring to the other. I like to butt the ceramic tile right to the hardwood at the same height with no transition strips...forward thinking to getting older and eliminating the chance for trips and falls and being able to get a wheelchair around the house if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating