Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times

Advertisements

I don't want to totally take over the other thread being discussed now about kitchen cabinet hardware, so I'm starting my own. Here's my question:

Who has kitchen hardware that they hate and why? Or what should I avoid, and for what reasons that I might not think of?

I've been told to avoid knobs that are elongated but fasten with only one screw because they will constantly be not straight. I've also been told to avoid drawer pulls that could potentially catch on belt loops or appliance cords.

I love the look of tinted glass knobs, but I worry they might show fingerprints (plus they're expensive, particularly the Murano ones. But they are sooo pretty!)

I also like the look of granite knobs (would probably do a color that contrasts with my granite countertop). The only downside I've thought of for them is that, often, thee are no coordinating drawer pulls, so I would have to use the round (or possibly square) knobs on cabinets and drawers alike. I think that would be too many identical knobs.

My cabinets and countertops are dark (really my kitchen in general is too dark, except for light colored tile backsplash and stainless appliances). I currently have no cabinet hardware at all.

Help!!!!

(I'll try to post a pic if I can remember how)

Last edited by kayanne; 10-23-2014 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:27 PM

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Textured and "birdcage" hardware capture a lot of grease and dirt. I liked what I put in my old kitchen, but it got dirty in the grooves.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Textured and "birdcage" hardware capture a lot of grease and dirt. I liked what I put in my old kitchen, but it got dirty in the grooves.
That's a good point about capturing grease and dirt. That's probably why so many of the knobs out there are boringly plain, which had not occurred to me before!

Yours are very pretty though!! I've never seen those anywhere. That's what I want---something I haven't seen in anyone else's kitchen.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
LOL I just ordered twenty completely plain brushed nickel knobs. I think that would show up nicely against all your pretty, dark wood.

Plus the whole bag was like, $20. SCORE!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I just ordered twenty completely plain brushed nickel knobs. I think that would show up nicely against all your pretty, dark wood.

Plus the whole bag was like, $20. SCORE!
That's a great price! I found one kind I liked, but they were $20 EACH! Actually there was another one that was $48 EACH!! I haven't even counted up my doors & drawers yet to figure out how much this lil project will set me back.

Which store/website did you use?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That's a great price! I found one kind I liked, but they were $20 EACH! Actually there was another one that was $48 EACH!! I haven't even counted up my doors & drawers yet to figure out how much this lil project will set me back.

Which store/website did you use?
Well, what I ordered is very plain -but I already have it on about 1/3 of the existing cabinets so I wanted to match it up rather than have to replace EVERYTHING. Besides that, in the total scheme of things, these very plain knobs look nice. I'd rather people be oohing and ahhing over the counter tops or the light fixtures...who cares about the knobs when there are about 35 of them? I needed them to be QUIET.

Here they are:

Amerock BP53005-G10 Allison Satin Nickel Round Cabinet Knob 25 Pack - Cabinet And Furniture Knobs - Amazon.com

Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
We have cheap, plain black knobs and I hate them. I dont want to replace them until i fix the rest of the funky kitchen. I would need to take up or lay over new counters and remove the paint and re-finish the cabinets.

Personally, If i could~ Id do some fancy black long knobs/pulls on medium tone wood cabinets with grey counter maybe.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 AM

8 posts, read 13,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, what I ordered is very plain -but I already have it on about 1/3 of the existing cabinets so I wanted to match it up rather than have to replace EVERYTHING. Besides that, in the total scheme of things, these very plain knobs look nice. I'd rather people be oohing and ahhing over the counter tops or the light fixtures...who cares about the knobs when there are about 35 of them? I needed them to be QUIET.

Here they are:

Amerock BP53005-G10 Allison Satin Nickel Round Cabinet Knob 25 Pack - Cabinet And Furniture Knobs - Amazon.com

They seemed nice.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerandolf View Post
They seemed nice.
Thank you. They're not exciting but I don't want everything in the kitchen to be exciting! Some things I just don't want to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating