U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 AM

49 posts, read 58,285 times

Advertisements

Hello, can you help me out here? I currently moved into a new apartment in Houston and I still can't figure out on what to do with the empty space. I can't think of a good interior design for this. Can you help me out? I need your opinions/suggestions. Here's the pic of the new place I'm moving in. This is the kitchen by the way.

This is the kitchen.

I'm going to put my bedroom here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 AM

8 posts, read 11,618 times
You've got a nice place. Hmm. Maybe you can add an island counter on the kitchen or a mini bar. I googled some ideas and found this:

You can use it as a storage area too. What do you think?

Last edited by katerandolf; 10-24-2014 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 AM

49 posts, read 58,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerandolf View Post
You've got a nice place. Hmm. Maybe you can add an island counter on the kitchen or a mini bar. I googled some ideas and found this:

You can use it as a storage area too. What do you think?
Great! Going to do that. Good thing to cover up some space. Thanks

Old 10-24-2014, 09:54 AM

21,988 posts, read 13,031,414 times
do you have a floor plan? I'd put the living room area near those great windows and the dining area in front of the kitchen, but the shape and layout would be helpful in terms of giving specific ideas.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,965,338 times
I agree, an island is a must for that kitchen! I would get one that allows you to use stools on the side opposite the existing kitchen. Is this a studio apartment? If so, I'm assuming it's a square/rectangle shape and you can see those windows when you walk in the door.

In that case, I'd add the island and get comfortable stools (with backs, probably) instead of getting a separate dining table. Then I'd put a couch perpendicular to the windows facing the wall and put the TV/entertainment center along the wall. Then I'd place the bed/nightstand on the opposite wall.

Right now it's really hard to tell how much space you have and I'm assuming the space is small, but that's based on my experience with Chicago and New York apartments which probably are a lot smaller than anything in Houston.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:12 PM

39,113 posts, read 48,071,297 times
It is hard to tell from your photos. can you see the view from the kitchen? You can buy a kitchen island that is free standing, so you can take it with you if you move.
My island came from Ballard Designs and it has drawers and cupboards which open from either side. It would be nice if you could sit on the kitchen side and look at the view.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,200,171 times
Unless you are one who cooks at home a lot or has guests often I would not put an island in the kitchen.
Dining room table right outside the kitchen, living room furniture beyond that then your bedroom where you want it but use something to separate the rooms visually.

So when you place your living room furniture put the back of the couch where you can see it from the kitchen, that separates the kitchen/dining area from the living room.
If you put your bedroom at those windows you may want some sort of free standing screen to separate your bed from the living room area. Personally I would not put my bedroom in front of those windows, the sun coming through those windows may be more heat than you really want and at night with even a small light one can see inside those windows very clearly.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,724,762 times
Nice place. But yes, get a floor plan and few more pictures. Hard to say if I don't know the depth of the room. And the width and everything...

Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 PM

14,710 posts, read 21,741,912 times
Hire an interior designer on an hourly basis.
Spend $200 and take lots of notes.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 PM

25,382 posts, read 16,348,181 times
Ask yourself how you want to use the space. Do you want to eat meals in the space? Do you need a portable kitchen island for food prep? Or do you want to watch movies, or work on your computer?

What you need will govern what you put there.

I do think your kitchen is not adequate if you cook. But if you eat out all the time, I don't think you need a whole lot more. But surely you eat breakfast there? So you need someplace to sit and eat a meal.

Think of the space as functioning for you as you are living now. You need to make it work for you. What do you want to do there?

Your bedroom presents problems. You will need curtains or drapes for those large exposed windows. I agree that hiring a design pro for a couple of hours could give you enough info to proceed with making your apartment a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or