Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 15,853 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a bigger home that has a formal living room and family room. I don't need both, so I want to convert the formal living room into a library/study area. My wife and I spend a lot of time either reading or on our computers. The room is 12'10" X 12'4", open to the entryway and family room on two sides, and with an outside wall with a picture window on the third side. The fourth side is a wall that is 10'4" with a 10' ceiling. I'd like to design the room for our computer use against that wall, with a reading table and chairs in the center of the remaining space, and probably some bookcases. I'm having trouble deciding how to configure the computer stations against the wall. I could go built in, or I could buy two credenza hutch desks, or I could put desks against the wall with shelving above, or? Any and all ideas will be considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,188,264 times
Not sure what type of style you are interested in so here are some ideas to start with.

http://www.stararc.com/wp-content/up...s-1024x678.jpg

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2012...xxxlarge_0.jpg

http://myofficeideas.com/wp-content/...th-library.jpg

http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/u...3-731x1024.jpg

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,955,833 times
You might want to consider building in desks that can be concealed in cabinets when not in use. Then when you have guests you can hide the inevitable clutter that collects around a work space.

These are computer armoires, but you could do a built in version easily:

https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...2F%3B300%3B300

Old 10-25-2014, 09:48 AM

452 posts, read 894,974 times
I might suggest having some comfy chairs with a table in the middle. Put some bookcases on the outside but I would recommend not putting a tower computer with screen. U can always conceal a tower in the bookcase covered up. U can use tablets or laptops wirelessly and have all electronics concealed. The room them can be multipurpose when u want to eat in there u can pull the chairs up to the table for eating, game nite, entertainment, etc. electronics are not in clear sight but hidden and u keep only the books that u really want. We r in the electronic age and it is becoming a rare commodity to have a book I can dog ear....just my thought. Make it comfy without the stuffiness of the computer desks.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,687,022 times
I have a double parlor and use half of it as a study. When I originally decorated the room I bought a beautiful computer credenza. In the last few years I've traded in my tower computer for a laptop and now the credenza is really not used. If I was dong the decorating today I might put in a small work table, a bookcase to hold a printer and a comfy chair to sit in while reading or working on my laptop. Or I might hang a computer/tv screen on the wall and have a comfortable chair and a wireless keyboard. I think whatever I chose I would make sure it's flexible. Technology changes so quickly these days

Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
Ask yourself what you want to see when you work at your desk. I personally don't like desks that face a wall. A computer station might be a different thing. But try to imagine how you would use the room most. Design your space to give you the best and most pleasant use of that task. Then try to fit in secondary tasks. I do think bookshelves are great for the space you desire. And, if you guys read a lot, then you need comfy recliners or other chairs in there too. A stereo system would also be nice. And if you do work in the space, you might want a handsome and functional file cabinet.

I think turning your lr into a library/office is a great idea.

I wonder if you are using laptops, if you need workstations? Would you really use them?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 15,853 times
Wow! Thanks for the great replies. I'm thinking about all of it. I probably should have mentioned that my wife and I use the 27 inch iMacs. I have a couple of laptops, but nearly all of our computer use is on the desktops. I'm really tempted by the idea of finding a way to "hide the clutter." What a nifty idea!

The house style is that imitation Italian Mediterranean stucco tile roof arches and pillars kind of thing that builder are so fond of these days. It about 10 years old. Nothing inside looks contemporary, it's all quite traditional. Right now I'm considering putting two of these side by side, with a matching reading table in the center of the room, and bookshelves on a couple of short walls.
http://www.rcwilley.com/Furniture/Ho...Hutch-View.jsp

At 72 inches each, those puppies would just about fill my wall. What do you think of that idea?

Last edited by VegasGeorge; 10-26-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 05:11 PM

50,044 posts, read 63,384,408 times
It's kind of hard to visualize without photos, and we don't know if your taste is modern or eclectic, or what.

How about a nice old partner's desk in the center of the room, with your computers back to back, and some nice old side chairs with upholstered seats for comfort. This is the sort of thing you can find at a consignment or antique shop for probably less money than those cheap computer consoles. Then, shelving on the walls and comfy chairs and ottomans to read in, tucked into the corners? Don't forget good lamps and small side tables to set a glass or cup.
Is there any way you can close the room off from the family room? If one of you wants to watch TV and one of you wants to read in quiet, it could be a problem.
Just be mindful that you don't need to line everything up against the walls. Use the whole space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating