U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:14 AM

41,260 posts, read 59,588,644 times

Advertisements

The answers have to do with things like the style of your home, the size of your room, your locale, your choice of fan, and even your ability to keep it clean.

I don't like them, and I agree - in most cases they are ugly and dated. However, some sort of fans are almost necessary when you live in a very hot climate. With a little effort you can find really cool, eye-catching design and make it a major design element.
As for the light - that depends if you need an overhead light, or you OK with just bedside lamps.

Here are some really beautiful ceiling fans:
Are Ceiling Fans the Kiss of Death for Design?

BTW: I don't have any in my bedrooms, because it gives me an earache.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:20 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,212,744 times
I don't love ceiling fans, but we do have one in our bedroom and we use and it serves its function well. Old ceiling fans look dated, but there are a lot of styles now and the modern ones certainly don't look dated. You can keep the house warmer in the summer and not feel uncomfortable if you use a fan.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 AM

7,200 posts, read 8,885,817 times
In my area, Raleigh, we love ceiling fans in the bedroom. They do not need to be monstrous or to have multiple frilly little lamps sticking out on arms. Pick one that visually 'disappears' into the decor (ie white on white for a white ceiling).

Here a ceiling fan can gently stir the air on a humid night such that you can reduce how low to set the thermostat. The AC then costs less. Ceiling fans are completely quiet. I use ones with a single central dome light, which besides being a light source when you want it, hides the motor casing above it.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 AM

2,291 posts, read 5,095,340 times
Don't care for them. I took the one in my bedroom out, it was right over the bed, couldn't stand it blowing on me or to look up and see it whirling while I laid in bed. I do have one in the living room, I never use it either.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:03 AM

15,689 posts, read 11,417,013 times
I love them, not for looks, but for practicality. This is a typical form verus function choice and, for me, function almost always wins. We have them in every bedroom and our living room. Where I don't like then is over a table, whether kitchen or dining room.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,968,020 times
We live in the desert where the temperatures are high and the humidity is low, so ceiling fans are very handy and really a necessity. I have one in each bedroom, six total, four in the garage, four on the back patio, one in the family room, one in the living room. They dramatically cut down on the need to run the A/C, which can get very expensive.
My biggest complaint is they tend to dry out my eyes after a while. Need to keep the Murine handy...

Old 10-26-2014, 02:06 PM

4,631 posts, read 7,810,187 times
Add some more love from GA. I could care less about the looks (though we always opt for single globe style, the multiple light options are hideous looking), it's all about function. You simply MUST have moving air to stay cool down here without running up a prohibitively costly AC bill. The only rooms without are the dining room and kitchen, we even have 2 outside (keeps the bugs away).

As for style/design, if what Elnina linked to is that, *barf* I'll stay an uncultured heathen. lol

Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 PM

14,707 posts, read 21,726,660 times
Yes.
Way cheaper than A/C.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,834,424 times
I have one over my bed - no lights, just the fan. I don't have AC - the fan provides just enough breeze to keep me cooled off on hot summer nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Pick one that visually 'disappears' into the decor (ie white on white for a white ceiling).
Mine is like that - it really blends in. When I am lying on my bed looking up at the fan, sometimes a blade will actually "disappear" due to it being the exact same color as the ceiling. It freaked me out when I first noticed it, I had to actually get up close to it to see if was still there.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 PM

19,147 posts, read 5,169,027 times
Yes, the house came with 3....1 in the master bedroom, 1 in the livingroom, 1 in the family room.
I use all 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or