Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

50,051 posts, read 63,394,930 times

Advertisements

I don't know what a high hat is, but I do know if you intend to go through menopause in the near future, a ceiling fan in the bedroom will prevent you from killing someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 04:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,090,109 times
I can't sleep if it's hot and a/c only does so much

Old 10-26-2014, 05:00 PM

40,927 posts, read 48,890,118 times
People always look at me like I'm crazy but the best place to put a ceiling fan is in the Master Bathroom.

It's one of the hottest, humid rooms in the house.
Any woman who's been in there after a shower and putting on makeup or getting dressed will love you for it.
Especially women over about 50.

Also in the south where people use Central air, it is common to have a CF in every bedroom, game room, media room, living room and on the back patio.
My last house probably had 10. (Big House)

Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM

43,313 posts, read 44,033,973 times
I can't sleep with an overhead ceiling fan as it is drys up my nostrils and gives me sinus headaches.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM

10,025 posts, read 17,942,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Would you put a ceiling fan in a bedroom? With 4 high hats around it? Would you use a light kit to lit the fan up if so? Or do you hate ceiling fans, or think they are dated?
What on earth does "4 high hats around it" mean?

It never occurred to me that ceiling fans were inherently "ugly" -- for me they are mostly about function (and if you have an ugly one, you can always replace it ). At my last house (which I still own but rent out), there's a ceiling fan in the living room, which I used a lot in the summer. I had a window a/c that served the large open area that included the living room, but rarely needed to use it except on our hottest, most humid days.

At my current house, one of the first things I checked on was adding ceiling fans to several rooms including all the bedrooms. I still plan to do it someday, but alas, it will be expensive because few rooms have ceiling lights.

I must say that I found many of the "modern" ones pictured in the Houzz link to be pretty hideous. The "double" one above the black leather bed looked to me like a giant insect -- not exactly what I want to be sleeping under!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 PM

17,424 posts, read 65,620,496 times
A "high-hat" is a foot operated cymbal apparatus that is part of a drum kit.
As I mentioned in my previous post- cymbals on a ceiling is ridiculous!

However, I believe the OP was referring to recessed cans/pot lights. The combination of cans and ceiling fan in a standard bedroom is a bad idea- it creates a strobe effect.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,085,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A "high-hat" is a foot operated cymbal apparatus that is part of a drum kit.
As I mentioned in my previous post- cymbals on a ceiling is ridiculous!

However, I believe the OP was referring to recessed cans/pot lights. The combination of cans and ceiling fan in a standard bedroom is a bad idea- it creates a strobe effect.

Sorry. Meant recessed cans. Thought high hat meant the same.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,360,221 times
Would you put a ceiling fan in a bedroom?
Yes. We sleep with ours on all year long.

With 4 high hats around it?

It would depend on the size & layout of the room. Our master bedroom has 8 recessed lights and once we update our other bedrooms, I would imagine we'll place 4 based on size.

Would you use a light kit to lit the fan up if so?

Depends on ceiling height and the aesthetics of the fan & light kit. In our case, our ceiling height is 8' so we opted not to use a light kit. We have sconces for additional light. When we update the other bedrooms, I would imagine we'll go the same route. (Right now they have a fan with a light kit, which serves its purpose, but it's not my ideal when it comes to design.)

Or do you hate ceiling fans, or think they are dated?

Dated? Sometimes...it all depends on in how they're used.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,051,260 times
I had one in my bedroom in my last house - the prior owners had installed 5 of them in most of the living spaces. I rarely used the one in my bedroom as it was kind of loud. I took down the one in my son's bedroom as he had a bunk bed and the fan came dangerously close to the top bunk. I didn't feel like we missed them at all.

For my new house, I decided to put one on each level - very open floor plan on the main floor. Upstairs is not as open but has high ceilings in the stairwell/central hallway, and I think that one fan there will give enough air circulation for me to be happy with. I can always change my mind and add them in the bedrooms as needed.

There are definitely many attractive ones out there these days - thinking about getting this one.

Last edited by emm74; 10-26-2014 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: because living room =/= bedroom

Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,954,527 times
I think it depends on where you live and if you think utilities are going to be expensive. If you are in a hot climate I can't imagine not having a ceiling fan in almost every room. We live in a climate that is hot, but dry and find that the ceiling fans are great at moving the air around in the hottest part of late afternoon, and then the AC rarely needs to be turned on. Our daughter lives near the Gulf and the humidity will kill you there. Their ceiling fans, in every room, run almost 24/7 most of the year. Trying to sleep without a ceiling fan and the AC cycling on and off is a circus...on with the sheet, then off with the sheet!
However, if you are one of the lucky few to live in a hot climate and just keep the thermostat set for personal comfort without worry of utility costs, then you probably don't need a ceiling fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating