U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 PM

16,086 posts, read 9,429,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I couldn't live without one in the bedroom, our summers can be brutal.
This, but I will paraphrase Kayekaye's statement a little, because I live in TX:

I couldn't live without one in the bedroom, our summers are ALWAYS brutal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,428,573 times
We have 6 ceiling fans in our house and turn them on in whatever room we're in about 9 months out of the year. We're in South Texas and as others have said, need all the help we can get to survive the summer. The ones in the bedrooms have light fixtures, but we rarely use ours.

DH and I also have a big pedestal fan in the BR and use both fans at least 6 months out of the year. Thank you, menopause.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,829,284 times
You wouldn't want the fan blades near the recessed lighting, you would have a strobe effect.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM

33,089 posts, read 61,955,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not necessarily. The Number One cause for eye infections in adults is ceiling fans (not so good).
Apparently, as most people sleep "rapid eye movement" during sleep also causes eyes to open momentarily and/or extended periods of time. The air being circulated dries out the eyes which can lead to infections.
I guess we should all run around with our eyes closed 24/7 then, eh?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 AM

12,234 posts, read 6,612,861 times
Yes, yes, yes to ceiling fans. Not that I use them all the time but the times I've needed them, I was delighted that we had them. They're great for moving stagnant air around. Great for when it's cold, cuz you can adjust and have the warm air pushed down. Great for when it's hot. Blades set for summer time and cool air circulates. There are times when I like to have the windows open but don't necessarily like to hear the 3 dogs next door and down the street barking all night long. Other times I may have both - windows open and ceiling fan going, I guess it just depends on the mood and if dogs aren't out or barking much. We've got 2 of our own, so we're understanding of barking but just not ALL night long.

Oh and as for lighting. Ours is a globe light. It's a separate switch. You can have the light on and fan going or light off and fan going.

Last edited by cat1116; 10-30-2014 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Forgot about the lighting part.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,152,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not necessarily. The Number One cause for eye infections in adults is ceiling fans (not so good).
I don't believe that, but I am trying to keep an open mind. Do you have a credible source for that "fact"?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM

628 posts, read 1,826,503 times
We are building a new home in Indiana and will have a ceiling fan in every bedroom and also our office and main living room area--and even on our screened in porch--I never set my AC below 78

Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM

13,415 posts, read 51,417,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't believe that, but I am trying to keep an open mind. Do you have a credible source for that "fact"?
I found out about it from my opthamalagist; and confirmed by my optometrist. The onset is "dry eye". Which leads to the infection(s). Here's one source-

https://www.opt.uh.edu/uei/services/...-is-dryeye.cfm

Of course, this is in the South- and everybody has ceiling fans. So, it could be more prelivant here than say the NE.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,152,213 times
From that link:

"Chronic irritation to the ocular surface:

Allergies
Air conditioning, heating systems or ceiling fans
Dry environments including frequent airline travel
Improper contact lens use, fit and contact lens solutions
Computer use
Eyelid disease
Cigarette smoke

Some prescription and over-the counter medications:

Antihistamines/Decongestants
Antidepressants
Acne treatments
Blood pressure medication
Diuretics
Eye drops (i.e. glaucoma, red eye reducers etc).
Oral contraceptives

Other risk factors include:

Advancing age
Poor diet/water intake
Hormonal changes/menopause
Chemotherapy/radiation
LASIK or other eye surgery
Diseases such as arthritis, diabetes,lupus thyroid disease, and Sjögren's Syndrom"

So, ceiling fans are among the dozens of causes of dry eye, but not #1 for infection.
(Not all dry eye leads to infection).

Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM

5,229 posts, read 12,297,420 times
I have ceiling fans in every bedroom, as well as the living room. They circulate air so things don't get stale and make the AC and heat more efficient and have to work less. I don't have them set on high speed so you barely feel them in action, but they do the job and cost less than the AC or heat. In th esummer they blow downard and in the winter they blow upward. Hot air rises and cool air settles, and this keeps teh temps even from floor to ceiling.

And I've never had an eye infection or dry eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or