Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Boy this is a terrific Dad.

This Dad Wanted His Unborn Son's First Room To Be Awesome, So This Is What He Made For Him. [STORY]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
That is totally awesome!! Nice to see a headline live up to what it said.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I see this through a different lens. To me this is what Daddy did for himself. He spent a lot of time and energy doing this and I am certain the kid will not appreciate it. Guests might.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
My son was fascinated by lights from the time he was born. He would have loved this ceiling (and at 10, I'm sure he still would but I'm not going to ask him because it would just lead to disappointment, as I'm not as motivated or able to do DIY as the dad in the story!)

Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I see this through a different lens. To me this is what Daddy did for himself. He spent a lot of time and energy doing this and I am certain the kid will not appreciate it. Guests might.
99.9% of kids, both male and female would definitely appreciate it. Beats a night light by far. I had constellations installed with glow in the dark stickers in my girls rooms and at 12 they still love it. I think it is terrific.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM

97 posts, read 162,466 times
This is cool. My husband plans on doing this in our media room.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM

324 posts, read 836,768 times
Quote:
Really? Do you have kids? I have two and I can assure you they would LOVE this! So much so that there is no way I'm going to show it to them. No, they would not appreciate the effort it took because they are too young to really understand that, but they would absolutely appreciate looking at all those lights.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Really? Do you have kids? I have two and I can assure you they would LOVE this! So much so that there is no way I'm going to show it to them. No, they would not appreciate the effort it took because they are too young to really understand that, but they would absolutely appreciate looking at all those lights.
I guess it is semantics. My feeling is that to appreciate it (in my mind at least), the kids would have to be much older in order to understand the amount of time, work, energy, etc. that went into doing it to begin with. A kid likes a new toy until he gets bored with it and plays with a cardboard box.

In my mind, by the time the kids are old enough to comprehend even a little bit of what it required, he/she would be probably want a change, thinking the room was too babyish. They do go through that stage.

That does not negate the job done at all, but it is my belief that you plan a nursery to what makes you happy. There is no right or wrong here just two very different viewpoints.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I guess it is semantics. My feeling is that to appreciate it (in my mind at least), the kids would have to be much older in order to understand the amount of time, work, energy, etc. that went into doing it to begin with. A kid likes a new toy until he gets bored with it and plays with a cardboard box.

In my mind, by the time the kids are old enough to comprehend even a little bit of what it required, he/she would be probably want a change, thinking the room was too babyish. They do go through that stage.

That does not negate the job done at all, but it is my belief that you plan a nursery to what makes you happy. There is no right or wrong here just two very different viewpoints.
Any parent can tell you that kids never appreciate the effort or expense required to make their world the happy place it is nor do they comprehend what is required until they have kids of their own.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
99.9% of kids, both male and female would definitely appreciate it. Beats a night light by far. I had constellations installed with glow in the dark stickers in my girls rooms and at 12 they still love it. I think it is terrific.
As a retiree, I have a projection night light in our bedroom, that was a retirement gag gift. It is of the solar system and was suppose to be, once we were retired the rest of the universe was ours.!!! When we relocated we were not accustomed to the darkness as street lights are spaced further apart here and our bedroom is in the back of the house which is darker than the front. We were commenting the first night here how dark it was and in the morning I grabbed the box with the gag gifts in it and pulled it out. It sheds just enough light that if one goes to bed before the other, it lights the way softly and does not disturb sleep.

I understand what the Dad intended, a nice and differently lit room and he achieved that with much hard work and sweat. My response comes from the viewpoint that an infant/child will not appreciate it. It will catch their attention and they most likely will like it. But in my view, he picked a project that he would be proud of and attached it to his son. One day when the dad is old and grey, his son might look back with wonderment on how his dad did it and then the appreciation will come, maybe sooner. Not taking anything away from the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating