U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM

56 posts, read 58,941 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this question will be all over as it's merely opinion, but how much should fabrics be marked up from wholesale?

I ask because I have several customers come in and borrow sample books and then look them up online and find them for much less from online fabric stores. Sometimes, I will price match, other times I just recommend buying direct from that store. My current mark-up is the recommended one from the brands of double wholesale and I do not charge extra for shipping. I'm wondering if I should even try to compete with the online retailers, although, I've seen some marked at only $7-$10 over wholesale which wouldn't be profitable for our storefront selling that way. I know I've lost some fabric sales due to price, but fabric sales only make up about 20%-50% per month of our total sales (upholstery shop) and I've lost anywhere from 2%-5% of those who purchased elsewhere. I've also noticed that the mark downs are on the designer labels, the lower end discount labels I also carry are normally not found online, so maybe I should just adjust pricing on the designer brands which tend to be higher priced anyways. There is some overhead in maintaining the books and we have well over 100 that have to be price checked and discontinueds pulled at least 3 times a year as well as I don't charge a "designing" fee for helping customers with the fabrics (many need design guidance in color and pattern matching).

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 03:31 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,139,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny82 View Post
I'm sure this question will be all over as it's merely opinion, but how much should fabrics be marked up from wholesale?
Whatever the market will bear and still give you a profit.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,271,976 times
I would probably start to charge people to "borrow" your sample books and then if they buy their fabrics from you, you can deduct that charge from the order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating