Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

I get rid of and buy furniture WAY too much. Really, it's embarrassing on how much I do it. In the last ten years, I've gone through five total redos of my living room alone. Yeah, I have issues! I am a bit of perfectionist and when something doesn't perform quite the way I want it to, it will bug me and bug me until I simply MUST change it out (the blue velvet sofa from Ethan Allen was a great example of that).

Whenever I mention even the slightest criticism about a piece of my furniture, my husband will give me that look. He knows what's coming! It's also likely why I could never have a decorator do my home. I'm so particular that there's no way someone would work with me and I would be handily fired as a client. At least I know I'm a complete pain in the ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 AM

13 posts, read 14,495 times
exactly I don't buy it after a particular time span I Believe untill something is not wear out I dont buy a new one

Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I get rid of and buy furniture WAY too much. Really, it's embarrassing on how much I do it. In the last ten years, I've gone through five total redos of my living room alone. Yeah, I have issues!
Whoa!
That's crazy!

I hope you figure out what you like soon. Just think of the money you would have....

Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
When I was young, I bought furniture that would stand the test of time, had my couch recovered once, and, new fabric put on my dining room chairs...then...I got sick of the stuff...so now, I buy more inexpensive furniture and when I get bored with it, I buy something else. As for accessories, I downsized several years ago and sold my expensive pieces, donated others and basically started over.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Whoa!
That's crazy!

I hope you figure out what you like soon. Just think of the money you would have....
I know it's crazy. I always liked leather furniture and decided to move away from that, for some reason, and go with varying fabric solutions. After bombing out on so many, I am back to leather. So, I love my current furniture and hopefully it will stay that way.

Now my bedroom furniture is another story!! Same problem, different surfaces. I like beds where I don't need a bedskirt and for some reason, decided to go with a headboard only and a bedskirt this time. It's been driving me nuts so that's likely another room that will be changed in the near future. Moral of the story - get what you like and don't worry about whether it's 'in', 'fashionable' or anything in between. Too bad I didn't take my own advice early on.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I get rid of and buy furniture WAY too much. Really, it's embarrassing on how much I do it. In the last ten years, I've gone through five total redos of my living room alone.
I'd be embarrassed, too, to waste so much money and so many resources. I do hope you found good homes for your discards.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd be embarrassed, too, to waste so much money and so many resources. I do hope you found good homes for your discards.
It's my money to waste. I always donate all furniture that gets moved out of our home. They seem quite appreciative because it's usually pretty nice stuff and they don't always get that (or that's what they tell me).

Old 10-30-2014, 07:12 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
It's interesting to see how different people do it! I know over the years I've' gone into people's homes where they seem to have just bought a brand new house full of furniture from Haverty's.....all the time. Whatever the latest "trend", etc. (for example....remember when those mixed-fabric sofas were a 'thing'...I think in in the 90s? The sofa might be leather but the cushions were upholsetered) And I often wondered how in the world they could afford to have brand-spanking new stuff ALL the time. Maybe they were in debt up to their eyeballs, who knows.

I'm one to buy pretty traditional pieces that stand the test of time, especially when it comes to wood pieces. Plus I have quite a bit of antique & handed down furniture pieces that have sentimental value to me that I will never get rid of....they will go on to my kids. But there have been times when I've thought...wouldn't it be fun to just start with a blank slate? What would I choose if I had no budget and was furnishing my entire house from scratch?

i have had to learn to let go of certain things. Just because it belonged to a certain person or was a gift from a certain person, if I don't love it, I don't have to use it in my home. It's MINE after all! But it took me a while to get to that point.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:34 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
One thing I've been noticing is that I feel like the selection is somewhat limited. I've been shopping kinda sorta for master bedroom furniture. In my old house, I had no headboard and a mishmash of other pieces that either won't physically fit into the new bedroom (more closets but very little wall space) or that I want to upgrade. And it seems like my choices are either upholstered leather or fabric headboards, which look nice but just aren't my style, or these huge massive sets that wouldn't fit even if I liked them. I wasn't going to get a fully matched set anyway, I prefer more of a mix and match look, but it's been frustrating to not see any pieces that I liked.

I finally found a metal bed that I liked but it's only available online so I'm going to have to take the risk and order that. But I'm still looking for a dresser that I like and that will fit in the space and that isn't crazy expensive.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
When we buy a new house, we usually end up getting a few new things, and getting rid of a few older things. With five kids between the ages of 21 and 32, we have no trouble finding a "taker" and what they don't want, we give to the Salvation Army or Goodwill or a women's shelter.

We've chunked and redone two bedrooms - a guest room and the master - because the guest room had juvenile furniture in it and needed "grown up stuff" and the master had furniture that we'd bought when we were younger, and on more of a budget. And when we bought new furniture we bought new bedding as well, and new lamps, a new area rug, you get the picture. But that's rare.

When we redid the guest room, we did the same thing. It was fun, but that's not how we roll in the rest of the house.

We have some nice antiques, and we have leather sofas in both the den and the living room, so those pieces have stood the test of time. I've reupholstered my grandmother's adorable Art Deco rocker and refinished the cute Art Deco table she always had beside it. After 20 years, we replaced the upholstered chair and ottoman in the living room...with another chair and ottoman. We've had the same rug in there for 20 years.

But I freely admit to changing out occasional tables, lamps, art, and throw pillows (and sometimes area rugs) pretty regularly - all that can really freshen up a room and make it more contemporary.

I have been smitten by love for the same colors for my entire adult life - moss green, reddish orange, deep tan, and cobalt blue. Thankfully those colors are apparently pretty timeless, because I never have any problem finding things to update my look with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating