Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,810 times

Advertisements

I want to start off by saying hello. This is my first post and hopefully not my last. I am a part time photographer and trying to do something special for my wife, be it now or for the holidays. We have this partial wall in our dining room that is empty and we both hate it, but nothing ever gets done about it. 5 years in this house and still nothing hanging up. I have browsed the internet and overwhelmed with the amount of ideas. I thought about contacting an interior designer for help, but to be honest, I am a bit cheap for that.

So I was wondering if I could get some help from people on the internet. I have attached a photo of the wall. It's 31" high x 138" long, or roughly 3' high x 11 1/2' long. I would love to add some of my photos if they would fit (I take everything from wildlife to landscape to portraits) or family photos. We do not like the clutter feel, so having (100) 5x7s wouldn't work. I love the idea of 3 large pictures, similar to this
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1...icture-Art.jpg
but with the wall being so long, I am not sure it will work. I am also proficient with drafting software, so I have sketched multiple ideas in AutoCAD, but nothing seems to look right.

If anyone has any advice, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you!
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Wall Decor help-20141103_180157.jpg   Wall Decor help-20141103_180211.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,739,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlf5280 View Post
I want to start off by saying hello. This is my first post and hopefully not my last. I am a part time photographer and trying to do something special for my wife, be it now or for the holidays. We have this partial wall in our dining room that is empty and we both hate it, but nothing ever gets done about it. 5 years in this house and still nothing hanging up. I have browsed the internet and overwhelmed with the amount of ideas. I thought about contacting an interior designer for help, but to be honest, I am a bit cheap for that.

So I was wondering if I could get some help from people on the internet. I have attached a photo of the wall. It's 31" high x 138" long, or roughly 3' high x 11 1/2' long. I would love to add some of my photos if they would fit (I take everything from wildlife to landscape to portraits) or family photos. We do not like the clutter feel, so having (100) 5x7s wouldn't work. I love the idea of 3 large pictures, similar to this
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1...icture-Art.jpg
but with the wall being so long, I am not sure it will work. I am also proficient with drafting software, so I have sketched multiple ideas in AutoCAD, but nothing seems to look right.

If anyone has any advice, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you!
Alan
your home looks lovely.
I would suggest using your landscape pics and while I can't tell you what sizes to use I would suggest using 3 rather large sized ones. Maybe 2 of the same size length and width on the ends with 1 in the middle of a different size or shape. With pics done in Black and White.

You can always change the photos out every few months.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 PM

867 posts, read 1,366,379 times
I would either go with mirrors or try a different chandelier, something slightly longer in scale and tighter to the ceiling as to divert attention away from the wall. Pictures are just not speaking to me for that wall. It may appear to busy with the direct room view below. You can also try painting the wall to match the ceiling so that it doesn't stand out as much.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM

22,332 posts, read 47,298,153 times
I would not put anything framed on that fascia.

Although I do not have them in my house, Wall Words may work for that space.... as would an new chandelier (one that takes the light to the table rather than at the ceiling).

Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,728 times
I think a tapestry would look great there - you can get one of those 'old' looking ones and it will be telling a horizontal story! I'm not sure if you'd be into that, but it would look good. It gives homes a nice 'warm' kind of feeling, because the tapestry adds depth and 'padding' to the wall. You could probably get one that would fit great there!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:47 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,961,692 times
If I were going to put something up there ( I would not) and I were a photographer, I would do a tri or quad photo. I would go for the odd number but it would depend upon the size of the pictures.

I am speaking about the "panaroma" photo where one picture is broken up into 3 or 4 or more individual frames. Here is link of what I am speaking about and I have no connection to the company.
Parisian Night Triptych Wall Art Painting Print

If you are not familiar with this, there are companies that will take your photo and make a multi panel from it.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,970,977 times
That wall is begging for your photos. Large black and white would look great--maybe 4 or 5 of them designed to fill the whole space with the blank area maybe equal to the width of any matting. If it was me, I would print in a soft gray and white range. Or any other monochrome type rendering would look good. All the photos would need to coordinate in terms of white space, scale, etc. so that the visual was not overpowering, just a strong hint of something. Identical narrow frames and mats if possible. You could alternatively print in sepia tones if that fit you decor better, but the B&W is more modern.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,604,061 times
Personally, I would hang a horizontal salvaged wrought iron piece on the wall. There are salvage yards that sell on Ebay.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the replys.

PippySkiddles,
Thank you! I made a quick sketch today using a 20x30 in the center with a 16x24 on each side. Looks pretty good, although I am not sure if I should go with a frame/mat approach or a full canvas approach.

Runuova & Pitt Chick,
I like the idea of a different chandelier. We both like the look of that one, but I would love to rip that thing down with as many times as I have hit my head on it. Unfortunately, it's already as high as it will go. Maybe a one that points down will make for a different feel.

nuts2uiam,
I love those 3 piece canvas but even with one of those, there would be lots of empty wall. It's just a bastard wall.

luv4horses,
I will take a look at my photos and see if I have anything that would work. I might take another photo this evening of the wall straight on and try to overlay some of my photos in B&W to see how they might look.

ElizaTeal,
I hate iron and metals. They have such a cold feel to me. My wife has a few pieces in other parts of the house and I hate them. Shhhh, don't tell her that though.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the replys.

PippySkiddles,
Thank you! I made a quick sketch today using a 20x30 in the center with a 16x24 on each side. Looks pretty good, although I am not sure if I should go with a frame/mat approach or a full canvas approach.

Runuova & Pitt Chick,
I like the idea of a different chandelier. We both like the look of that one, but I would love to rip that thing down with as many times as I have hit my head on it. Unfortunately, it's already as high as it will go. Maybe a one that points down will make for a different feel.

nuts2uiam,
I love those 3 piece canvas but even with one of those, there would be lots of empty wall. It's just a bastard wall.

luv4horses,
I will take a look at my photos and see if I have anything that would work. I might take another photo this evening of the wall straight on and try to overlay some of my photos in B&W to see how they might look.

ElizaTeal,
I hate iron and metals. They have such a cold feel to me. My wife has a few pieces in other parts of the house and I hate them. Shhhh, don't tell her that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating