Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. How often do you buy new furniture? What about lamps, wall art & other accessories?

U have some things rhat I will keep forever be they are family antiques, and I have a few really nice pieces I've bought over the years that I still love. But sometimes look around at pictures or side tables or (fill in the blank) and I think to mysel....it would be fun to get rid of all this & start over! Have any if you ever done that? How long do you typically keep major furniture pieces like sofas, chairs, kitchen tables, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
" Furniture, accessories, etc. when do u start over?"

Never.
I had added to my things, and subtracted as necessary, but I have never got rid of everything and started over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
How long do you typically keep major furniture pieces like sofas, chairs, kitchen tables, etc?
Sofas.... until they wear out.
Chairs... until they wear out.
Kitchen table... until it wears out.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I am very classic in my furnishings so I keep everything forever. Thus far I have not had to replace anything much in 20 plus years. We have replaced my hubby's recliner (I prayed for an early death and it resulted in a new Big brother arriving!!!, that was not part of the plan.!) We have a formal living room that I only entertain in. We have a tv room that has the lovely Big Boy recliner in and a lady wing chair for me. I also have an office that has a tv in it. We are very traditional and never really strayed from that style except for art.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:47 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I generally add to......

However, I also repurpose. I'm in the process now. What was a dining room server and hutch........well... the hutch is being repurposed as a faux fireplace for the sitting room and the server is currently being stripped and readied for staining and sealing. It's new home will be the master bedroom as I need drawer space desperately. After having looked and looked for a couple of years for something to fit into the space the light bulb finally went off.

See.. it started with replacing the worn out ugly bathroom linen cabinet. I liked the new one so much, I ordered it in mahogany to go into the dining room. That freed up the hutch and server to be repurposed.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:38 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I'm moving into a new house next month and kind of starting over, because it's bigger than my old house so I needed to add a fair amount. I decided to repurpose my current sofa for the loft/family room, and buy a new sofa and loveseat for the living room. I have a pair of chairs that I'll be reupholstering - they were my mom's and I always loved the shape of them. I'll replace the coffee table too, at some point once I have all the rest of the furniture and can figure out what will look right.

I'm also mostly starting from scratch in the bedroom too, because I never got around to buying a headboard, and the bureau I had won't fit in my new bedroom. But I'm keeping the one piece I had that I loved, a nightstand that I got last year. But I wouldn't have gotten rid of what I had in order to buy new.

I have a somewhat eclectic, transitional style, so I can incorporate lots of different things. So it's easier to mix and match and swap individual pieces in and out if I want to, without redoing an entire room.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
There are things in my house that get cycled out. Try removing all the art and accessories and look at your room. Maybe all you need is to switch some things around, or get new lampshades, or some new throw pillows.

My feeling is that I have chosen things I love throughout the years, so I very seldom stop liking them. Some moves have caused me to get rid of things, but for the most part, all my things have a story. I do not want a room to look like a furniture catalog, I want it to look like a history of us.

The biggest change I ever made was moving to the south from the frozen north. Many things I had seemed very heavy and dark, and looked funny, so I did get new, lighter living room furniture, and I'm still giving the hairy eyeball to the bronze lamps, because something brighter would probably look better.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I'm curious. How often do you buy new furniture? What about lamps, wall art & other accessories?

U have some things rhat I will keep forever be they are family antiques, and I have a few really nice pieces I've bought over the years that I still love. But sometimes look around at pictures or side tables or (fill in the blank) and I think to mysel....it would be fun to get rid of all this & start over! Have any if you ever done that? How long do you typically keep major furniture pieces like sofas, chairs, kitchen tables, etc?
Pretty much when something breaks or is worn out, we replace it. We've never gotten rid of an entire room of stuff and gotten new.

We have a Flexsteel recliner that we've had for about 12 years. I've thought about reupholstering it since the color doesn't match the rest of the room (it is blue while the room is a red/cream/yellow theme). But I kind of like how it stands out. And it's still in great condition despite someone sitting in it every night.

We do add new art pieces every now and again, but we don't remove old art - we just rearrange to include the new piece.

We've had our kitchen table since we moved into the house in 2006. We went from an 1800 sq ft house to 2800 sq ft. Our old house didn't have an eat-in kitchen, so we had to buy a table set.

Our kids also needed bedroom furniture - in our old house they were in a crib and toddler bed, sharing a room and one dresser. But when we moved we put her in a real bed and him in the toddler bed, in their own rooms. We bought a big bedroom set that my daughter still uses to this day (I bought something that very deliberately could transition from toddler to teen to college to guest by merely changing the drawer knobs).

Other than that, the only thing that has really been swapped out with regularity is the big sofa in the TV room. But, along with the recliner, it gets the most use. We're on our third one since moving in 2006.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
3rd once since 2006? Wow! I have the same leather sofa I bought in 2006 and it has had daily use over the past 8 years. I still love it & it looks good. Although I can tell the cushions have lost some of their "spring". In the next house, that we will buy once we get a contract on current home, this sofa will probably be sent to basement TV and I'll get a new one. But I'm feeling pretty good now that my 8 yr old sofa is still going strong!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I replace items when they are no longer functional, and not until then.

My upholstered living room furniture is reaching that point - purchased in 1992 and 1993. My bed will need replacing soon, purchased in 2004.

Items such as lamps, non-upholstered furniture, etc., I try to buy second hand. A lot of my furniture is older than I am.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Moving can "encourage" you to change/replace/ furniture.
We moved to a modern house so we ditched our 20+ year old stuff and bought new.
We had the money ($20K) to do this.
Looks good, in my opinion.

and

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating