U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:33 AM

50,730 posts, read 40,119,236 times

Advertisements

You need to think about several things before you paint your ceiling:

1. How tall are the ceilings?

2. Do you have crown molding you want to emphasize?

3. How much natural light is in the room?

4. What is the color of the walls in the room?

Regardless of the answers to any of the above questions, I agree that the finish needs to be flat.

Anyway, "white" isn't necessarily white. There are many variations of "white" and they can be either warm or cool. They can have a pinkish, or greenish, or brownish, or yellowish, or blueish tint to them. You DEFINITELY need to go with a "white" that blends, rather than clashes, with your wall and crown molding trim colors - warm with warm, cool with cool, etc. if you decide to stick with "white" for your ceiling.

If the room gets lots of natural light, or if you want to emphasize the ceiling rather than down play it (this can work well with tall ceilings) then you can go with a color other than white and be fine.

For instance, in our bedroom (in this house and in our previous house) we did a pale blue ceiling (the walls were a buff color and the trim was white). Both rooms have tray ceilings, nice trim, and are ten feet tall, so this accentuated the beauty of the crown molding and height of the rooms. Also, we wanted to paint invisible glow in the dark stars and constellations on the ceiling!

In our new kitchen, we also wanted to show off the trim, so we chose a very pale version of the wall colors (which are a gray green):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 06:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,819,498 times
Go to The Decorologist | Paint Color Consultant | Home Staging She has great tips and before & afters of various ceiling painting scenarios. Plus a TON more good advice. You will have to search her site, but there's lots of tips & tricks on there. It's one of my fave decor blogs.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
When we had our entire house interior painted I chose a uniform very light warm color for the ceilings. I am fine with this selection except in our bedroom, which I had painted an intense and beautiful gray blue. I wish I had had the ceiling painted in a much lighter shade of the wall color, because I hate the harsh contrast between the walls and ceiling.

In my former house, which we painted room by room over a number of years, I used a lighter version of the wall color for the ceilings. The ceilings always looked white, but the look was very blended. I think I prefer doing that, if possible.

I truly hate the "ceiling white" look. Too harsh.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 AM

15,856 posts, read 26,052,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Ceilings are something that can be painted once every 25 years. Therefore, I'd say always go with white. People often change wall colors every 5-7 years which isn't THAT often, but who wants to mess with painting the ceiling every time? White matches everything. I don't think my ceilings have been painted in 30 years

omg, 25 years and never ainted the ceilings? that would never happen in my house....30 years????

Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
Scary, eh?

My ceiling gets painted when the walls get painted, which is about every 10 years or so.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Scary, eh?

My ceiling gets painted when the walls get painted, which is about every 10 years or so.

10 years is a bit long for me as well. But now a days, since people don't really smoke in thier homes anymore, the painting can go a little linger. remember in the 70's, ugh, both parents smoked, so my mothers kitchen was painted every year, no lies.

My apartment now is about 5 years already. I have river rock paint, it was expensive and I still like the colors. the ceilings are all blush, so they never look like a while ceiling turning yellow.

But I agree with you, If Im going to paint the walls, Im certainley going to paint the ceiling.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM

Old white ceilings go dingy even in homes that don't have smokers. You need to paint ceilings more often than every 25 years. I agree that if you paint the walls, you should paint the ceilings. I think painting walls every 5 years is a bit much. If you use good paint you could do this every decade or so. Although I have stretched this considerably in the past. But when the walls get painted, so does the ceiling, and I have never waited 25 years to do either!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 6,028 times
White painted ceilings can - but not all the time make your room look wider and cleaner. It depends on the elements that you can find inside your room like the color of the furniture, appliances if they all blend in well together. But for me, white is a very safe color.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Old white ceilings go dingy even in homes that don't have smokers. You need to paint ceilings more often than every 25 years. I agree that if you paint the walls, you should paint the ceilings. I think painting walls every 5 years is a bit much. If you use good paint you could do this every decade or so. Although I have stretched this considerably in the past. But when the walls get painted, so does the ceiling, and I have never waited 25 years to do either!
LOL, it depends on the type of home you also have. Since my sons are all grown and out and it is just me and my partner, we have since downsized to a 4 room apartment, it is easy to paint, and I actually like to paint, so every 5 years or less, to me, is a fun easy project.

But I know there are just some people that just cringe at the thought of moving things and have to paint. , it happens

Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, it depends on the type of home you also have. Since my sons are all grown and out and it is just me and my partner, we have since downsized to a 4 room apartment, it is easy to paint, and I actually like to paint, so every 5 years or less, to me, is a fun easy project.

But I know there are just some people that just cringe at the thought of moving things and have to paint. , it happens
For us it has always been a big production. In the past we have usually painted the rooms ourselves. And yes, moving furniture is no fun. But a small space, unless very crowded, is a much easier space to paint. So, I get why you change things up so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating