U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,431,937 times

Advertisements

My contractor likes to paint the ceiling a shade lighter of the wall color, but am wondering about painting it white instead. Wouldn't that tend to make the space feel more open?

(The wall color will likely be a light-neutral brown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
I have no white ceilings in my house. They are the same color as the wall -or- a lighter shade of the wall -or- a different color entirely.

In my house, a white ceiling closes in the room... plus looks like a large unfinished area.
YMMV.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM

5,721 posts, read 13,965,650 times
All of our ceilings are painted an ultra white in satin. It makes the room warmer, far brighter, and less depressing. It also makes any wall color come alive. Probably different in other areas around the country. We still use the spray on acoustic ceilings and then paint them.
Here's a bedroom remodel we did for an elderly gentleman last year. We tore out the exterior wall, replaced the aged windows with low E sq insulated units. Installed wall insulation, installed porcelain floors, installed oak trim, installed ceiling fan, replaced all doors in the house with 5 panel units, and painted. My cabinet guy made him a base with drawers to go under his bed too. All paint in the pic is satin finish.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,683,524 times
My painters recommended using ceiling paint which is an ultra flat finish. The ceiling was originally painted with an eggshell finish. I was completely surprised at how much taller the room looked with the ultra flat finish vs the eggshell finish where he had not yet painted.

Go ahead and add a little color to it if you wish - but, having seen what a difference it makes vs a shinny finish I strongly recommend using a paint that is for ceilings. I actually did my walls in a Benjamin Moore Pearl finish to reflect more light - but, I am very glad I went with the ultra flat paint designed for ceilings.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:24 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,119,241 times
I use Pratt and Lambert Sky Light. Flat soft white. I have 10 ft ceilings throughout. My ceilings are plaster.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:16 PM

10,780 posts, read 9,416,027 times
I advocate a flat paint for your ceiling. Barring that, it's really a personal choice thing. Some people like painted ceilings. I personally prefer white as it seems to make the room feel brighter that way since the light bounces off it better.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM

13,438 posts, read 51,478,836 times
This doesn't work on EVERY color (like red) but,

An old painter trick- 1qt. of wall paint to 1gal. of ceiling white (finishes the same of course). It tones down the stark contrast of WHITE and the wall color; without making the room feel like a dungeon.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

15,856 posts, read 26,052,902 times
I don't like white ceilings at all. To me it makes the room look like it has a lid on it. If there are other white things in the room, ie: trim or doors, blinds, etc, then it could look fine, but boring....I like the ceilings the same color as the wall or another lighter shade.

My ceilings in the whole apartment are a blush color, it looks nice, well I think so, as white does not match my decor at all, and I have nothing white in the apartment. So my blush color works well.

I agree with another poster here who said a white ceiling just looks like a large unfinished area, I agree.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,638,209 times
Ceilings are something that can be painted once every 25 years. Therefore, I'd say always go with white. People often change wall colors every 5-7 years which isn't THAT often, but who wants to mess with painting the ceiling every time? White matches everything. I don't think my ceilings have been painted in 30 years

Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 PM

15,408 posts, read 20,625,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
...An old painter trick- 1qt. of wall paint to 1gal. of ceiling white (finishes the same of course). It tones down the stark contrast of WHITE and the wall color; without making the room feel like a dungeon.

This is what my not-so-old painter did throughout my entire house. The walls are mostly EggWhite. I love the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating