U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 09:29 AM

323 posts, read 645,465 times

Advertisements

Our previous two houses were both open/semi-open concept. When we bought our current home, there was a wall between the dining/kitchen area and the living room. At first I was into it and thought it would be "fun" having separate rooms and something different than what we'd had before. That lasted maybe two weeks before I started calling contractors and ended up having the wall removed.

For me, it has nothing to do with HGTV or what's "in", it's all about what works for my family. Our last house was semi-open and had all the bells and whistles. Huge open foyer, beautiful formal living and dining room, long hallways, etc. I hated it. HATED it. There was so much wasted space and so many rooms I had no use for. Our new house is half the size of the old one and much more modest, but every bit of space is useful, and I love that. No, we have no foyer or long hallways, but since we're on a five acre lot that fronts to 50 acres of hay field and backs to 100 acres of corn field, with woods to the sides; I'm not really worried about someone looking in and seeing my business. I don't think the deer much care what I'm up to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:37 PM

19,521 posts, read 24,463,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
being able to see all "my business" from the front door? I'm all for open layout between kitchen/casual dining/family room. But more & more I see (around here anyway) the the newer houses have absolutely NO privacy. I don't want someone walking up to my front door to see our cups & remotes & magazines (& kids toys) all over the family room! And I certainly don't want them to see my kitchen & the mess that might be in there. But a lot of homes are designed precisely like that.

I don't want totally separate, closed-off spaces at all. But I think we do all need a "buffer" between the front door/foyer of a home and the "guts" of a home where you do your day-to-day living.

What do y'all think about it?
:
If you think that you are the "only one". than I am the other one!

I love my circa 1924 home because the kitchen is in the back of the house. There is a swinging door that leads to the dining room, and a door that can be closed - or opened, to the family room. The Sun room is in the front of the house, off the dining room.

Bad flow? Just the opposite. Perfect for entertaining. When I want guests in the kichen, I open the door to the kuchen. Behind the kitchen is a large family room.

It's open enough - without feeling as though I live in a fishbowl.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:09 PM

8,205 posts, read 22,788,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
being able to see all "my business" from the front door? I'm all for open layout between kitchen/casual dining/family room. But more & more I see (around here anyway) the the newer houses have absolutely NO privacy. I don't want someone walking up to my front door to see our cups & remotes & magazines (& kids toys) all over the family room! And I certainly don't want them to see my kitchen & the mess that might be in there. But a lot of homes are designed precisely like that.

I don't want totally separate, closed-off spaces at all. But I think we do all need a "buffer" between the front door/foyer of a home and the "guts" of a home where you do your day-to-day living.

What do y'all think about it?
Then either get a solid front door, or don't buy an open concept. Problem solved.

What do I think about it? I think that these "I hate open concept threads" and "HGTV sucks" are tired. I do not understand why people feel the need to moan and groan about this topic, or why it is such a popular topic to gripe about considering the people who bark the loudest are the ones who are not currently living in an open concept space.

Sure, if you once lived in an open concept and hated it I suppose you can talk about that. But since you (and by "you" I do not mean you you, OP) moved out and found a nice, walled, dwelling that suits your fancy why all the animosity? Seriously, of all the things to complain about.

I also think that those who blame HGTV for the "open concept" trend either do not watch much HGTV and/or do not realize that this "trend" has been around for quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Have you lived in a completely open concept home before?
Yup, living in one now. There isn't even a foyer, mudroom, nothing: enter the front door and bam, hello downstairs. Open concept works for some layouts, and not so well with others. It is all in the design.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM

25,324 posts, read 16,297,798 times
My last house had a huge, vaulted great room that you entered immediately from the front door. I lived there for 26 years. The house was built in 1979. I don't think newer homes are any more likely to have an entrance right into the living area than they used to. In fact I know older homes often had no entries at all. You walked right into the living area.

If you like a center hallway, then buy yourself a center hallway. I like an entry, or a hallway myself. But I don't think newer homes are less likely to have them than older, tract type homes. An open plan does not necessitate loss of privacy.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 AM

50,009 posts, read 39,777,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yup, living in one now. There isn't even a foyer, mudroom, nothing: enter the front door and bam, hello downstairs. Open concept works for some layouts, and not so well with others. It is all in the design.
I realize that, and I'm glad you're happy with yours.

But it's not just the design that matters - it's also whether or not you LIKE open concept living. Personally, I don't, so the design, while it makes a difference aesthetically, and functionally, doesn't do much to make up for the fact that I simply don't like LIVING in an open concept house. I think many of them, including my last home, are very attractive and I realize they work well for some families, but they're not for me, for the reasons I stated earlier.

There's no point in being offended by it though. The flip scenario is just as true - some people really dislike having separate rooms and more walls - and that's OK. That's why more than one option is available for home buyers!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:25 PM

33,065 posts, read 61,882,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Seriously, of all the things to complain about.
You complain about what annoys you, and leave others free to do the same.

Quote:
I also think that those who blame HGTV for the "open concept" trend either do not watch much HGTV and/or do not realize that this "trend" has been around for quite a long time.
What is new is the constant knocking down of walls in the never ending quest for anal retentive parents needing to supervise their precious offsprings' every waking moment, or for social whirlwind couples who must have their guests within sight at all times --are they afraid the guests will steal the silver, or talk about them behind their backs?

This is what I object to--Watching house after house butchered so that the lady of the horse can coo: Oh, it's so open!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:46 PM

5,229 posts, read 12,287,851 times
If they didn't knock down the walls of your house that you live in, why do you care so much?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:56 PM

50,009 posts, read 39,777,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If they didn't knock down the walls of your house that you live in, why do you care so much?
This is a discussion forum. We're discussing our opinions.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM

25,324 posts, read 16,297,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You complain about what annoys you, and leave others free to do the same.

What is new is the constant knocking down of walls in the never ending quest for anal retentive parents needing to supervise their precious offsprings' every waking moment, or for social whirlwind couples who must have their guests within sight at all times --are they afraid the guests will steal the silver, or talk about them behind their backs?

This is what I object to--Watching house after house butchered so that the lady of the horse can coo: Oh, it's so open!

For some of us, an open plan is what we want. For you not so much. Unless the house is of historical interest, there is no reason an owner cannot customize his or her home to please him/herself. I personally prefer to be not closed off in the kitchen if I have guests. I don't think this is unreasonable. If you are having the dinner catered, then you are free from kitchen duty. But I do the food in my house, and it is nice not to be off in the kitchen. Instead, I can be available to my guests and be a part of the conversation. But that is a personal preference. It is a free country. We get to choose how we live our lives in our homes.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:12 PM

5,229 posts, read 12,287,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is a discussion forum. We're discussing our opinions.
I asked a question. Isn't that part of discusssion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or