U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,052,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What is new is the constant knocking down of walls in the never ending quest for anal retentive parents needing to supervise their precious offsprings' every waking moment, or for social whirlwind couples who must have their guests within sight at all times --are they afraid the guests will steal the silver, or talk about them behind their backs?

This is what I object to--Watching house after house butchered so that the lady of the horse can coo: Oh, it's so open!

My DH and I end up knocking a lot of walls down but our goal is for the water view. If you buy a waterfont home you should be able to see it when you open the front door and not a wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:48 PM

50,731 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I asked a question. Isn't that part of discusssion?
Sure, I guess. I didn't criticize your question either.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I asked a question. Isn't that part of discusssion?
Sure. I didn't criticize your question either, even though your question wasn't really an interactive question - it was more along the lines of "If it doesn't affect you, why don't you just shut up?"

That's not really the sort of question that expands the conversation. It's a criticism of the discussion itself. But you know that.

This is a section of the forum for discussing decorating, not debating, so I'll stop now - unless you really want to discuss decorating.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 PM

19,188 posts, read 5,179,932 times
My house is not completely open concept...from the front door of the living room you can see
the dining area of the kitchen and part of the family room. The cooking area of the kitchen is
behind a high wall, between the living room and kitchen, has about 3 ft open on top, you can
see the lights in the ceiling of the kitchen. Just enough to give it the open roomyness without
having one big open area. I've been here almost 10 years, it was a new build, I picked out the
floorplan myself, and I still like it.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:16 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My house is not completely open concept...from the front door of the living room you can see
the dining area of the kitchen and part of the family room. The cooking area of the kitchen is
behind a high wall, between the living room and kitchen, has about 3 ft open on top, you can
see the lights in the ceiling of the kitchen. Just enough to give it the open roomyness without
having one big open area. I've been here almost 10 years, it was a new build, I picked out the
floorplan myself, and I still like it.
Yes my house is a mix too. I have long halls leading to an open area in the back of the house which comprises kitchen, dining and living. I can cook on my cooktop and see the TV, if I want to. I can also see the fireplace, And when guest are here, I can see them, and they can see me. The cooktop itself is hidden behind a tiled area. Previously, my open plan comprised of entrance, living, library and dining. The kitchen was itself in a separate room. I tended to feel isolated at Thanksgiving or Christmas during meal prep.

I don't mind people having opinions about their preferred style of home--I certainly have my preferences too--buit there is no need to be as belligerent as the op was. We get to choose what we want for our homes. And I haven't watched an episode of HG TV in years.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:27 AM

1,363 posts, read 2,216,942 times
Our house is mostly open and I absolutely love it, but we have a small wall and a half that are strategically placed to make it both open and defined at the same time. I think it's silly to argue over what plan is best. There are a gazillion house plans out there and everyone has different preferences. I already lived in a house that was virtually identical to every other house on the street and one size does not fit all. Vive la difference!

Old 11-15-2014, 11:19 PM

4,524 posts, read 4,211,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I can't stand open concept homes. We've been looking to buy a 2nd home in SC and went looking with a realtor last month & saw 7 or 8 homes. He looked at my face after we saw the 1st couple and he said, "You don't like that open look, do you?" LOL, I guess he must have had other clients that had the same reaction.

And what's with these houses where you open the front door and step right into the dining room?
I feel the same way, I've been in shotgun houses that didn't have an open floor plan. My parents house is like that, walk in the front door( a small wall in front of it from the master br closet) to the living room, massive doorway to the dining room- archway- whatever, the only thing seperating the kitchen is a small two person breakfast counter/peninsula. I liked the big ol bungalo my stepdad had, even though it was spooky at times, been meaning to draw you guys it's floor plans.

If I built a house, the living room would be by itself, the bedrooms off from a "central" pseudo hallway(more like a foyer or vestibule, towards the back the kitchen, and dining room- which would be the only open plan thing in it. I think the whole open plan came from those warehouse loft apartments, like in the show One On One.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I feel the same way, I've been in shotgun houses that didn't have an open floor plan. My parents house is like that, walk in the front door( a small wall in front of it from the master br closet) to the living room, massive doorway to the dining room- archway- whatever, the only thing seperating the kitchen is a small two person breakfast counter/peninsula. I liked the big ol bungalo my stepdad had, even though it was spooky at times, been meaning to draw you guys it's floor plans.

If I built a house, the living room would be by itself, the bedrooms off from a "central" pseudo hallway(more like a foyer or vestibule, towards the back the kitchen, and dining room- which would be the only open plan thing in it. I think the whole open plan came from those warehouse loft apartments, like in the show One On One.
Open concept in various forms has been around since the late 1950s, or at least the 1960s. This is not a brand new concept, although how it has been done has varied a lot. When I was looking at homes in the early 1970s, I did see an open concept house built around an indoor atrium. Not the most efficient thing, but is was more open than the home I actually bought.

There is one iteration of an open concept home that I don't like. I hate seeing a row of kitchen cabs with an eating counter in front of it, in the middle of a house. I think that is bad design. I would hate a kitchen like that. But there are many designs of homes. The newer homes we looked at in 2012 used an open concept in various ways. Some of the older ones, from '80s, did too. I don't think this trend is going away. But we looked at traditional homes with segmented rooms too. So, there should be something for everyone out there.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM

8,208 posts, read 22,815,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I realize that, and I'm glad you're happy with yours.

But it's not just the design that matters - it's also whether or not you LIKE open concept living. Personally, I don't, so the design, while it makes a difference aesthetically, and functionally, doesn't do much to make up for the fact that I simply don't like LIVING in an open concept house. I think many of them, including my last home, are very attractive and I realize they work well for some families, but they're not for me, for the reasons I stated earlier.

There's no point in being offended by it though. The flip scenario is just as true - some people really dislike having separate rooms and more walls - and that's OK. That's why more than one option is available for home buyers!
For the record, I neither love nor hate the idea of open concept let alone the love or hate the idea of open concept living.

For me all that matters is that the space has a functional layout that is conducive to how I live. That sounds to be true for you as well.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
For the record, I neither love nor hate the idea of open concept let alone the love or hate the idea of open concept living.

For me all that matters is that the space has a functional layout that is conducive to how I live. That sounds to be true for you as well.
You're absolutely right. I look at the FUNCTIONALITY of a floorplan. It's not enough for a layout to be pretty, or even stunning. It has to work for my family's particular needs. And that's why there are so many different floor plans and home styles out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or