U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,815,567 times

Advertisements

being able to see all "my business" from the front door? I'm all for open layout between kitchen/casual dining/family room. But more & more I see (around here anyway) the the newer houses have absolutely NO privacy. I don't want someone walking up to my front door to see our cups & remotes & magazines (& kids toys) all over the family room! And I certainly don't want them to see my kitchen & the mess that might be in there. But a lot of homes are designed precisely like that.

I don't want totally separate, closed-off spaces at all. But I think we do all need a "buffer" between the front door/foyer of a home and the "guts" of a home where you do your day-to-day living.

What do y'all think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:45 AM

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. You can see the home's entire living/eating space from the front door. You actually walk right into the living room.

http://www.legacyhomesal.com/wp-cont...n_Brochure.pdf

Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM

39,094 posts, read 48,037,614 times
What I think about it is you are absolutely right. This is a classic case of the HGTV syndrome, in which an idea is drummed into the consciousness of the public, so that people think there's something wrong with them if they don't want that.

Open concepts can be a great way for families to spend time together, but they don't always work in small homes, for the reasons you stated. There have been some other threads about this sort of thing, especially the threads bashing the HGTV shows, in which, just once, we'd love to hear the house hunter say they DID NOT want an open concept for "entertaining", and they did not want hardwood floors or granite countertops.

I think what happens is builders try to squeeze big house amenities into small houses, and this doesn't work.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM

671 posts, read 705,698 times
Do what pleases you and stay away from trends...Traditional is eternal,fads come and go...

Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,427,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
being able to see all "my business" from the front door? I'm all for open layout between kitchen/casual dining/family room. But more & more I see (around here anyway) the the newer houses have absolutely NO privacy. I don't want someone walking up to my front door to see our cups & remotes & magazines (& kids toys) all over the family room! And I certainly don't want them to see my kitchen & the mess that might be in there. But a lot of homes are designed precisely like that.

I don't want totally separate, closed-off spaces at all. But I think we do all need a "buffer" between the front door/foyer of a home and the "guts" of a home where you do your day-to-day living.

I generally agree. My last home was *wide* open; when you walked in the front door, you say the living room, kitchen, and dining room. While I prefer an open living space, this time around I've arranged it differently. The kitchen, DR, and LR are still open, but they are all on the back side of the house, separated from the foyer by a wall. The front of the house has the two downstairs bedrooms, which you cannot see from the entry.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,181,842 times
Growing up in a row home in Philadelphia PA, we entered the front door and stepped into a vestibule. A small area just big enough to allow the closing of the front door before opening a second door directly into a hall that led to a flight of steps to the second floor. The downstairs rooms were on the right - first door living room; second door dining room. The kitchen was behind the dining room.

One could not see anything of the house other than that hallway and the steps until entering one of those two doors. MOF, it was actually pretty claustrophobic.

The house I live in now was built sometime before 1930 and the front door opens directly into the living room. Since I always use the back door, which opens into the kitchen, I tend to forget what the visitor sees on entering from the front.

Either way, I don't much care, because the bits of stuff indicate everyday living and I'm sure the visitor has much the same in their own home.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think what happens is builders try to squeeze big house amenities into small houses, and this doesn't work.
Yep, that's it.

Another thing I hear a lot around here is "no wasted space". And I'm not talking about unused rooms, I'm talking about no hallways or transition areas between different areas of the house. In other words, NO privacy! You have the door to the master BR right off the kitchen, and the other bedrooms are just across the 'great room'. No hallways for separation of noise, etc. yes, it cuts down on "wasted" sq footage, but you also sacrifice a lot of privacy and noise control.

I think builders saying these homes have "no wasted space" is a nice way of saying "we scrimped on the sq footage of the house but still crammed the same number of rooms into it".

Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,488,698 times
I do not like the open concept we do have an open foyer which I like because it is bright but the noise from downstairs does travel upstair to the bedrooms. My den, living room which we use as an office, dining room and kitchen are all seperated by doorways not actual doors except a swinging door between the the dining room and kitchen. All the rooms are spacious so that makes a difference. While I'm in the office i don't want to be distracted by someone watching TV and when I'm in the kitchen it's fine to me if others are in the den while I'm cooking if they want to hang out there's room but I don't feel shut out just because they are not right in the room with me. From my front door you enter the foyer and it is usually pretty clean so if someone just stops by for a minute none of my mess is in view.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,902,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post

Yes, I agree. I've looked at some new homes near our house and some of them, when you opened the front door, you could see the entire kitchen/dining/living areas. I really don't like that at all. Basically the entire 1st level was one big room.

We have an entry hall when you come in the front door that leads to the open living/dining/kitchen area, so it seems separate from the rest of the house.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM

33,085 posts, read 61,908,019 times
I'd love to have a foyer or entry hall. I don't even like the fact that when I open the door, whoever is at the door can see my electronics, antiques, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or