U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,373,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Thanks. These look good too. Have to find a match for our odd size requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is what I did in our laundry room for narrow space, the hardware is actually cabinet handles.
That's an interesting idea. You are handy! How many inches do they come out?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
OK, so in that case, I am thinking you could use this on the bottom (it also comes in white):

HEMNES Shoe cabinet with 4 compartments - black-brown - IKEA

Then maybe use the hooks from the container store I posted above above it (those come in white, too). If you need a shelf above the hooks you could get one from IKEA, or you could just skip that. The shoe storage cabinet could easily hold gloves, hats, or whatever. My sister has one, it's pretty awesome for a very shallow cabinet.
Thanks for the suggestion. That looks very nice, too bad it's 42 inches wide. We only have room for 40 inches.

This is going to be a challenge.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:13 AM

41,050 posts, read 42,834,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That's an interesting idea. You are handy! How many inches do they come out?
If I recall it's an 11 inch shelf but you can get the handles in other sizes.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:02 AM

8,524 posts, read 11,425,659 times
Quote:
You raised a good point. I was thinking that the unit we put on the wall might not be very wide. We only have 40 inches wide of wall space to deal with anyway. I just measured and I can comfortably reach out 26 inches from the left of the side door. I will have to ask my wife to do the same thing, so see how far her reach is too.

I figured that if we got something that was 38 inches wide, we just wouldn't use the far left side of it to hang anything on it. This is assuming we got something that wide. If the coat rack were much lower we could still reach much of if I think from the stairs.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone reaching far over to hang up a coat, that could be dangerous. But if we keep the rack to a smaller size width, like under 30 inches that might work.

I just measured again. :-) I held my middle heavy coat up where it could be hung and be easily accessible while standing on the stairs, provided it is parallel with the bottom of the light switch shown in the photo. Have to ask my wife if she would find it annoying or uncomfortable to stand on a step to hang up or retrieve a coat.

Thanks for bringing this up, because placement has been a concern for me for this in general.
I may be overly cautious, but the only thing I had hanging in that space in my former home was a dog leash. I have heard way too many stories of people who simply lose their balance on a regular floor, maybe a trip, or stumble and to me the stairs are an accident waiting to happen. That said, many people do exactly what you are hoping to do with no problem.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 11-04-2014 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,200,171 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. That looks very nice, too bad it's 42 inches wide. We only have room for 40 inches.

This is going to be a challenge.
You could do separate pieces and make the one piece yourself if you are a wee bit handy.

Just take a 2 X 4, 4 X 4 or whatever size board you like and put some screw in hooks on it then mount it to the wall.
Then find a good sturdy bench that has storage under the seat part and put under the board you just mounted.
You could also get a bench that is open underneath and put baskets under it to hold gloves, caps, etc.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,392,856 times

My husband built this near our backdoor. We didn't need seating because there is seating close by. So we incorporated or Dog/Cat Door, shelves for flashlights, dog leashes, gloves, ect and a shelf that we use as a charging station for our electronics.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post

My husband built this near our backdoor. We didn't need seating because there is seating close by. So we incorporated or Dog/Cat Door, shelves for flashlights, dog leashes, gloves, ect and a shelf that we use as a charging station for our electronics.
Thanks for sharing that. That looks nice!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:57 PM

47,290 posts, read 45,670,341 times
I would look for another place to hang them.

Besides the obvious potential for danger (especially for kids), the fact that this wall is located as you are coming up the stairs will lead to all kinds of irritating problems: knocking items off the hooks with your shoulder as you come up, hitting your head on anything that projects out from the wall, dropping items down the stairs as you try to hang them, etc.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would look for another place to hang them.

Besides the obvious potential for danger (especially for kids), the fact that this wall is located as you are coming up the stairs will lead to all kinds of irritating problems: knocking items off the hooks with your shoulder as you come up, hitting your head on anything that projects out from the wall, dropping items down the stairs as you try to hang them, etc.
I'm not planning to have it cluttered. The wall is 7.5 inches away because of the shelf on the bottom. So it should be out of the way. I talked it over with my wife and we will be lowering the coat rack to make it easier, and no one would be leaning over to hang anything up or take it off, because it would be accessible from the stairs. We use to have the coat rack behind the side door, but that was a problem because it restricted the door from being opened all the way.

We have decided to add a second coat rack in the garage to hang work type of jackets and umbrellas.

This thread has been very helpful to us. I'd like to thank everyone who has posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or