U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:00 AM

15,712 posts, read 11,452,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Let me show you something beautiful that my cabinet makers made for me - it runs along the side of the pantry near the stove and it's only four inches deep:

How awesome is that? Not too expensive either.
That is awesome!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:04 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,412,695 times
What about saving cabinet room and storing pots/pans in the oven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 AM

99 posts, read 83,149 times
I'd rather not have my pots and pans in the oven. I'll have wide, deep drawers for them. Can anyone give me examples of what you put in drawers that are anywhere from 12"-20" wide and how deep is the drawer? I think I just need to know what works in those size drawers. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 AM

99 posts, read 83,149 times
Can anyone tell me what types of things you put in your smaller drawers and the width and depth of the drawers?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 AM

8,571 posts, read 11,459,328 times
If I were going to replace my cabinets in the kitchen, the one must have for me( that you have not ruled out) is a cabinet that is narrow and deep to store cookie sheets and baking pans.

This is also something to think about. My old kitchen was custom too, and I had full upper shelves on the lower cabs. This house only has half upper shelves. There are pros and cons. There is a tremendous amount of lost space with half shelves but you do have easy access to the lower shelves. The only saving grace in this kitchen is that there are 24 cabinets. That said, I miss the full shelves, for me I have had to stack things that in the past were "singles". Truth be told it isn't a tragedy but if I were going the do over route, I would think about. I could always extend the shelf too.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 AM

390 posts, read 1,447,722 times
Are you looking at toe-kick drawers at all? I'm thinking those might be perfect for under a couple of my cabinets for things like muffin pans and some of my stone bakeware. Some of that is so heavy I can't put a lot of them together in drawers anyway. Other than the inconvenience of bending down to get things, it might be an option for smaller items which you may not need all the time and might get lost in the bigger drawers? I'm just starting the final stages of planning a kitchen myself (footprint is done, so now it's time to fill in the details), and I am amazed at how difficult it is to know where to start and focus.

For drawer sizes, however, when in doubt go slightly larger than you may need...it's easier to put a larger and smaller item in a single large drawer than find out that you have no drawers big enough for larger items.(I found that out the hard way in the last kitchen I did, when I didn't have enough time to really think things through.) The height, where if you stack too many things they'd get lost, would be something more difficult to gauge.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:33 PM

8,208 posts, read 22,815,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
I am trying to finalize the cabinet and drawer sizes for our kitchen remodel. I know I will have a drawer on either side of the stove with narrow cabinets on either side for cookie sheets, cake pans etc. I also know what I'm doing by the fridge. My problem is where my main cabinets and drawers will be on either side of the sink.

I have 48" to the left of the sink and on the right of the sink it's an L with the stupid blind corner where I'm thinking of having corner drawers(on an angle, but regular drawers that pull straight out-not inverted V). I'm not sure how wide the corner cabinet will be. I know it's measured like a corner sink cabinet and as of right now, my husband wants that cabinet to be 24"(24" on either wall), but I can't figure out what size the drawers would be. Maybe a 36" cabinet with drawers would be better there? To the right of the sink is 40" and then it turns and there is 107" on other wall of the L. Does that make sense?

I will have a drawer stack on the left of the DW(left of sink) and all my really big things(mixer, bread maker, tall pots, rarely used items etc.) will be in the small walk in pantry.

Here is a list of roughly what I need to store. I don't have a ton of stuff(Well, at least about the same as most families).

pots and pans(a few pots and a few pans-not excessive)
a few casserole dishes
mixing bowls
Tupperware
utensils(spatchula, tongs, can opener, etc. etc.)
silverware
knives(not accessive)-could maybe go with silverware?
dishtowels/placemats
tinfoil/ziplock bags etc.
phone books
office/junk drawer
maybe a little drawer for pens/notepads
possibly a stack of 5"? square drawers for chip clips, skewers, and other small things.

I don't know if I'm missing anything. That's all I could think of. I know I need deep, wide drawers for pots and pans, casserole dishes, mixing bowls, Tupperware and ?? Wide, shallow drawers for utensils and maybe dishtowels/placemats. I'm not sure of exact sizes that would work and what to do with any other drawers left over. Especially if there end up being weird medium to small drawers. I can figure some of it out, but get stuck when I come up with a stack of drawers that is a medium-smaller size.

I have the upper cabinets pretty much figured out, but I'm having trouble with the drawers. I'm not adding any inserts or trays etc in drawers, since that would be an added cost.

If anyone could tell me exactly what sizes to do(width-which is actually width of cabinet & how deep they should be) and what items should go in which size, I'd appreciated it, as the cabinet guy is coming Tomorrow(Tuesday) and I need to have it figured out as well as possible. Thanks!
Perhaps I am showing my age (and I am not that young), but it seems that having kitchen drawers dedicated to office supplies, junk, and phone books seems a bit antiquated. Nothing wrong with that if that is how you want to do it, just an observation. I really do not think that you need any specific layout with the remaining space in terms of drawers. Just have at least one deep drawer for the pots and pans, one medium drawer and what ever space is left can just be of a standard size.

I personally keep utensils on the counter as I cook nearly every day. I also keep larger pans, casserole dishes, placemats, and a few other items in a buffet off the kitchen. I keep baking sheets in the broiler. Not saying that this is what you should do, but if you are on a budget I would say to just go with a standard drawer set up and not design a set up for any specific use. If you run out of space you can always find a spot...such as in the oven for pots and pans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or