U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 PM

99 posts, read 82,889 times

Advertisements

I am trying to finalize the cabinet and drawer sizes for our kitchen remodel. I know I will have a drawer on either side of the stove with narrow cabinets on either side for cookie sheets, cake pans etc. I also know what I'm doing by the fridge. My problem is where my main cabinets and drawers will be on either side of the sink.

I have 48" to the left of the sink and on the right of the sink it's an L with the stupid blind corner where I'm thinking of having corner drawers(on an angle, but regular drawers that pull straight out-not inverted V). I'm not sure how wide the corner cabinet will be. I know it's measured like a corner sink cabinet and as of right now, my husband wants that cabinet to be 24"(24" on either wall), but I can't figure out what size the drawers would be. Maybe a 36" cabinet with drawers would be better there? To the right of the sink is 40" and then it turns and there is 107" on other wall of the L. Does that make sense?

I will have a drawer stack on the left of the DW(left of sink) and all my really big things(mixer, bread maker, tall pots, rarely used items etc.) will be in the small walk in pantry.

Here is a list of roughly what I need to store. I don't have a ton of stuff(Well, at least about the same as most families).

pots and pans(a few pots and a few pans-not excessive)
a few casserole dishes
mixing bowls
Tupperware
utensils(spatchula, tongs, can opener, etc. etc.)
silverware
knives(not accessive)-could maybe go with silverware?
dishtowels/placemats
tinfoil/ziplock bags etc.
phone books
office/junk drawer
maybe a little drawer for pens/notepads
possibly a stack of 5"? square drawers for chip clips, skewers, and other small things.

I don't know if I'm missing anything. That's all I could think of. I know I need deep, wide drawers for pots and pans, casserole dishes, mixing bowls, Tupperware and ?? Wide, shallow drawers for utensils and maybe dishtowels/placemats. I'm not sure of exact sizes that would work and what to do with any other drawers left over. Especially if there end up being weird medium to small drawers. I can figure some of it out, but get stuck when I come up with a stack of drawers that is a medium-smaller size.

I have the upper cabinets pretty much figured out, but I'm having trouble with the drawers. I'm not adding any inserts or trays etc in drawers, since that would be an added cost.

If anyone could tell me exactly what sizes to do(width-which is actually width of cabinet & how deep they should be) and what items should go in which size, I'd appreciated it, as the cabinet guy is coming Tomorrow(Tuesday) and I need to have it figured out as well as possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Here is a photo of the type of angled corner drawers I was thinking of. Not sure what size they would be though. I know lazy susans etc give more storage(use more of the blind corner space), but I don't care for them. I prefer the drawers.

**Oh, I forgot to add in the 20"? wide pull-out garbage!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Drawer Sizes-angled-corner-drawers.jpg  

Old 11-03-2014, 04:36 PM

8,497 posts, read 11,404,222 times
Are these custom cabinets? If not you really won't have much choice.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Yes, these are custom cabinets/drawers, which already makes them more expensive, and we have a budget, so I'm not looking for tons of drawers, just what I need.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,109,823 times
In my area, cabinets businesses have kitchen designers that plan the cabinets with the customers. Can you make an appointment with yours?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:11 PM

We don't have a kitchen designer. As, I mentioned, we have a budget and don't want to spend the extra $$. I know it would most likely be money well spent, but we can't afford to hire one.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,109,823 times
KDs through the cabinet makers are free here.

I just worked with two of them as I was soliciting bids for a project. Their time was free, as were their designs. Just part of getting my business....

Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM

50,094 posts, read 39,800,875 times
Kathy did you say the cabinet makers are coming in the morning? If so, they should be able to help you - whether they call it "kitchen designing" or not. I mean, they should have some good ideas and can guide you.

But I get what you're asking and why.

Do you have a lot of spices and tall, skinny bottles of stuff like oils and salts, that sort of thing? If so, where are you going to put them?

I am having a hard time visualizing your kitchen layout, but we just remodeled our kitchen and I had to think a lot about drawers so I know what you're going through.

You say you need to store the following:

Quote:
pots and pans(a few pots and a few pans-not excessive)
a few casserole dishes
mixing bowls
Tupperware
utensils(spatchula, tongs, can opener, etc. etc.)
silverware
knives(not accessive)-could maybe go with silverware?
dishtowels/placemats
tinfoil/ziplock bags etc.
phone books
office/junk drawer
maybe a little drawer for pens/notepads
possibly a stack of 5"? square drawers for chip clips, skewers, and other small things.
I'd say you need a standard size drawers for your silverware, utensils, and knives. Your cabinet maker will know what a "standard size" is.

You will need a wide drawer that's also deep for baggies, tinfoil, etc.

1 drawer for dishtowels.

I would store placemats and other linens in the pantry.

You will want your pots and pans to be near the stove. Tupperware NOT near the stove.

Let me show you something beautiful that my cabinet makers made for me - it runs along the side of the pantry near the stove and it's only four inches deep:

How awesome is that? Not too expensive either.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM

That's awesome! I actually followed your kitchen remodel. It turned out great! Love colors, the counters, actually everything. Very well done! I'll have an upper pull-out on either side of the stove for spices. I'm having trouble figuring out what goes in the weird sizes(12"-"18" drawers) and how deep they need to be. I used to have really deep 14" drawers that I hated! I put my dishtowels and placemats in one and it became a jumbled mess! That's why I'm asking for help. What would I use the somewhat smaller drawers for and how deep should each drawer in the drawer stack be?

Last edited by Kathy246; 11-03-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 06:14 PM

50,094 posts, read 39,800,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
That's awesome! I actually followed your kitchen remodel. It turned out great! Love colors, the counters, actually everything. Very well done! I'll have an upper pull-out on either side of the stove for spices. I'm having trouble figuring out what goes in the weird sizes(12"-"18" drawers) and how deep they need to be. I used to have really deep 14" drawers that I hated! I put my dishtowels and placemats in one and it became a jumbled mess! That's why I'm asking for help. What would I use the somewhat smaller drawers for and how deep should each drawer in the drawer stack be?
Oh, thank you for the positive feedback on the kitchen remodel project!

It really depends on what the drawer stack is close to. I am a big believer in not taking unnecessary steps in a kitchen.

Do you have room in your pantry to stack the placemats and other linens other than the towels you use every day?

That's another thing - you've probably thought of this but I consider every inch of a kitchen to be valuable real estate so to speak. The things I use every day need to be RIGHT THERE. The things I use every week need to be accessible. The things I use once a month need to be behind the things I use every week or every day, and the things I use a couple of times a year need to be way high, or way back behind other things.

I personally like deep drawers for utensils and that sort of thing if they glide in and out easily. Could that have been part of the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or