Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,181,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Becasue she doesn't have enough empty wall space to put a large piece of furniture on.
I don't think the OP said that? She referenced building some kind of built in on an exterior wall. I was assuming that meant there was so wall space surrounding the dining area? In my open floor plan, the dining area is in the corner next to the kitchen so I have 2 wall sides, although one of those wall has windows. But on the other wall, I have room to put a buffet. I could put in a built in on that same wall if I wanted, but I love my antique art deco buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,298,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think the OP said that? She referenced building some kind of built in on an exterior wall. I was assuming that meant there was so wall space surrounding the dining area? In my open floor plan, the dining area is in the corner next to the kitchen so I have 2 wall sides, although one of those wall has windows. But on the other wall, I have room to put a buffet. I could put in a built in on that same wall if I wanted, but I love my antique art deco buffet.

Whoops. you're right.

I guess I'm in the "why don't you buy a china cabinet/hutch?" crowd. I was thinking that with her open concept she didn't have enough walls to place a large piece of furniture on.

I still say keep looking! There are plenty of newer homes here in the South that have formal dining rooms.

What area are you looking in, OP?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,045,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our garage is off the kitchen, and fortunately, the former owners put the old kitchen cupboards and counter on the back wall of the garage. I have a buffet in the dining area where I can store some dishes, but the garage cupboards are a lifesaver.
If you have a walk in pantry, this would be good for dish storage too.

Sounds like you have improvised a Butlers Pantry, the best solution if you have the space

Capturing any space for storage is ideal. They can be as small as a closet.
Or.
More elaborate butlers pantries- Butler Pantry Cabinets - Transitional - kitchen - Cote de Texas

Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM

4,269 posts, read 6,290,988 times
I'm in SC and we have a house with a formal dining room as well as a large eat-in kitchen. We never use the dining room though. But we do have two china cabinets in there since I collect Fiestaware and need a place to store it.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 AM

50,317 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Really, I think a china cabinet is an overly simplistic suggestion. A china cabinet seems very dated in this day and age. They are not really terribly practical, since most are made to display only a few dishes in the top, with only limited real storage in the bottom.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 AM

4,489 posts, read 4,976,004 times
Our vey!
We just moved to "the south" Ga. I thought I was already in "the south" Tx.
Was used to sprawling kitchen with tons of cabinet space and open plan for dining and kitchen nook seating.
I had to buckle and buy one of those buffet/cabinet things to store entertaining pieces and wine glasses, shot glasses, platters.... I swore I would never purchase one of those old lady looking things!
Well went to this unique consignment store here in Ga. And found a black shabby chic hutch looking thing that matches our black/brown 8 seated dining room set for the stand alone dining room.
WE LOVE it. We are digging this Southern older home concept of divided off the kitchen rooms.
Good luck on your search.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,298,660 times
Quote:
Really, I think a china cabinet is an overly simplistic suggestion. A china cabinet seems very dated in this day and age. They are not really terribly practical, since most are made to display only a few dishes in the top, with only limited real storage in the bottom.
I don't think that's true at all. Maybe you're thinking about a secretary or hutch. I have a large marble topped buffet in my dining room. It holds all the big serving bowls & platters, pitchers, etc. that are awkward to fit into kitchen cabinets, plus I don't need those things taking up real estate in my kitchen cabs! And since it has a dark marble top, it's very practical. I can set things on it during meals and not worry about whether the plate is hot or something is wet. It's one of the most functional pieces of furniture I have.

It's all in how you use things. My mother used to store her "good" china in the drawers of a dresser in the guest bedroom! There werent' any clothes in there, so why not? she took them out when needed for large gatherings, and put them back in the drawers until the next time.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:26 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,015,045 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be the old fashioned buffet with hutch of days ago with leaded glass and all of that. There's plenty of new style type of sideboards that can both hold plenty of dishes while fitting in with an overall decor. Look at Pottery Barn - they have loads of things like that. I have a sideboard in my dining room because there's not enough room in my kitchen. I did an open shelved one so all of my dishes are stacked on it. Since I did all white dishes in there, it looks pretty good. I like the look of stacked dishes too. Quite 'in' right now as well.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,259 times
Unless you want to have it on display, buy either a large buffet, or a really nice, long dresser with drawers deep enough to stack your dishes in with plate holders etc. If there are shallower drawers on the top row, put cutlery and linens in there. Either way, the stuff is easy to get to and the top is a good serving space.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,226,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Moving south in a few years - all these homes have huge open concept kitchens and family rooms. Large islands and 'off the kitchen is something like a 'keeping room' where you can have a huge 'kitchen' table that seats 8-12. However, all these new southern homes have NO dining room. Anyone have photos of some kind of built in for dining room dishes I don't want to get rid of? With no dining room, these homes must be getting some kind of storage. Suggestions?
Well, the argument over whether Maryland is a Southern State or not seems to never come to any conclusions, so I can't help you there. I do however live in an open concept with no formal dining room.

As I mentioned in another thread I have a buffet off the kitchen, which is technically in the "dinning room" area. In addition to that, and next to it, is a china cabinet. I would prefer to have built-ins, but whatcha gonna do?

I am considering adding a row of short cabinets, perhaps only 18" tall, along the wall above the buffet for added storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating