U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 PM

577 posts, read 981,554 times

Advertisements

Moving south in a few years - all these homes have huge open concept kitchens and family rooms. Large islands and 'off the kitchen is something like a 'keeping room' where you can have a huge 'kitchen' table that seats 8-12. However, all these new southern homes have NO dining room. Anyone have photos of some kind of built in for dining room dishes I don't want to get rid of? With no dining room, these homes must be getting some kind of storage. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM

50,010 posts, read 39,777,061 times
LOL My suggestion is to do what I did, and buy a house with a formal dining room! After living just four years in a beautiful, new custom built open concept home, we couldn't take it any longer and bought a 17 year old, very southern (Low Country style) home with a formal dining room and two living areas - with actual walls!

Best decision we ever made regarding housing.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,098,072 times
Sure, a china cabinet.

Hopefully, there would be a spot on the exterior wall to put it.

Now, I have seen some open concept homes in the south that do have separate dining rooms. You just have to keep looking.

I have 6 different sets of fine china. The every day stuff is in the kitchen. I do have a formal dining room with a buffet, server and china cabinet. Not enough room. So I took what was the old laundry room off the kitchen and turned it into an old fashioned china closet. There's enough room for three sides of pantry cabinets. And they are all chock full.

One of those sets of china has 12 place settings. Each setting has 14 pieces, plus serving pieces.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,563,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Moving south in a few years - all these homes have huge open concept kitchens and family rooms. Large islands and 'off the kitchen is something like a 'keeping room' where you can have a huge 'kitchen' table that seats 8-12. However, all these new southern homes have NO dining room. Anyone have photos of some kind of built in for dining room dishes I don't want to get rid of? With no dining room, these homes must be getting some kind of storage. Suggestions?
Buy an older home.

Or a china cabinet if purchasing a newer home.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 AM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times
No built ins, but I have an art deco buffet that I will be using on the wall of the dining area in my open concept. Still finishing construction so I can't post a photo.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:59 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,814,670 times
I live in the South, and I do know what you're talking about. But there are still plenty of homes (in my area anyway) that do have formal dining rooms in addition to the kitchen/breakfast/family room open concept. so keep looking!

I will caveat this by saying that I've seen a lot of open concept plans that have a "formal" dining room just off the foyer, but only have columns of some sort that separate it from foyer & family room. This just leaves 1 wall for a big piece of furniture such as a china cabinet or hutch.

I'm with you. I have so many dishes and collections of stemware and they are sentimental and beautiful and I'm not getting rid of them! And I want easy access to them when I want to use them. so any home I build or buy MUST have a separate dining room...in addition to kitchen eating area.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:59 AM

577 posts, read 981,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Sure, a china cabinet.

Hopefully, there would be a spot on the exterior wall to put it.

Now, I have seen some open concept homes in the south that do have separate dining rooms. You just have to keep looking.

I have 6 different sets of fine china. The every day stuff is in the kitchen. I do have a formal dining room with a buffet, server and china cabinet. Not enough room. So I took what was the old laundry room off the kitchen and turned it into an old fashioned china closet. There's enough room for three sides of pantry cabinets. And they are all chock full.

One of those sets of china has 12 place settings. Each setting has 14 pieces, plus serving pieces.
you sound like ME!! I am the dish queen of the family!! I figured some kind of built in on an exterior wall -- even if just a very long buffet server type thing -- and some of the nice crystal glasses and unique pieces I can put in the kitchen with glass cabinet doors. Maybe I can arrange a type of second pantry for the stuff??!!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:06 AM

39,057 posts, read 48,006,211 times
Our garage is off the kitchen, and fortunately, the former owners put the old kitchen cupboards and counter on the back wall of the garage. I have a buffet in the dining area where I can store some dishes, but the garage cupboards are a lifesaver.
If you have a walk in pantry, this would be good for dish storage too.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 AM

10,774 posts, read 9,390,234 times
I'm confused. Why not just buy a piece of furniture, a sideboard or buffet, to house said dishes?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,814,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm confused. Why not just buy a piece of furniture, a sideboard or buffet, to house said dishes?
Becasue she doesn't have enough empty wall space to put a large piece of furniture on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating