U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM

93 posts, read 75,249 times

Advertisements

I will be meeting with our builder to go over lightning location/selection for the house and need suggestion for lightning position in the kitchen and dining room. When I walked the model home, the house is overloaded with recessed lights in these area and I can use some of these recessed lights in different location of the house. Attached is an image of location of these lights. What should I do - which should I remove. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with reducing lights in kitchen & dining room-light.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,394,035 times
remove lights over Island/Cut them way down to 2
stick with 1 dining room light

Old 11-05-2014, 10:43 PM

Great idea. Though my wife is thinking about doing small hanging lights at the counter and reduced a few in various location as shown here. We would be using either hanging lights at the island or recessed lights but not both together.

Good/Bad, evil
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with reducing lights in kitchen & dining room-capture.jpg  

Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 PM

or like you said "Cut them way down to 2 stick with 1 dining room light". 1 Stick at dishwasher area and the other stick at the cooking area
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with reducing lights in kitchen & dining room-capture.jpg  

Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,394,035 times
I would make sure you have 1 light over each key area and then go from there.

So 1 over stove, 1 over sink, 1 over table, 1 over island...

I would also suggest counter lights under or even a lamp if you have counter room would be neat.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 AM

Under cabinet light does come with it. I revised to put one light each at refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, and cooktop. The other two lights for walking hallway from the garage (I am thinking about changing these two to mini-lights or reading lights for a warmer look). Final?
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-06-2014, 06:43 AM

21,983 posts, read 13,012,959 times
Are you sure you can relocate individual cans from a set? My builder said I could split sets but they'd still be all on the same switch and turn on and off at the same time. I had to buy separate lights/sets for them to be wired separately and operate on different switches.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:02 AM

13,394 posts, read 51,373,145 times
You didn't state the ceiling height- Which can have an overwhelming affect to the lighting design.

Assuming it's at least 9' here's my suggestion- attached

The idea is to flood the kitchen area with light- That's done WITHOUT being specific to the island. If you remove those cans and use pendants (which are considered "task lights" because of their narrow beam), the overall lighting of the island becomes diminished making it a not so good work area.

Not knowing your taste or decor- an island that size would look fantastic with a large chandelier above it. Then the raised bar could be highlighted with mini-cans (MR16 type). One note with this idea, depending on the shape of the table (casual dining) I would use only cans configured to match the table. Otherwise, you have two chandeliers competing with each other. But could be OK if they are exactly the same.

The cans in the casual dining are overkill- gone. So are the cans between the kitchen and living- whatever the Hell those were for.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You didn't state the ceiling height- Which can have an overwhelming affect to the lighting design.

Assuming it's at least 9' here's my suggestion- attached

The idea is to flood the kitchen area with light- That's done WITHOUT being specific to the island. If you remove those cans and use pendants (which are considered "task lights" because of their narrow beam), the overall lighting of the island becomes diminished making it a not so good work area.

Not knowing your taste or decor- an island that size would look fantastic with a large chandelier above it. Then the raised bar could be highlighted with mini-cans (MR16 type). One note with this idea, depending on the shape of the table (casual dining) I would use only cans configured to match the table. Otherwise, you have two chandeliers competing with each other. But could be OK if they are exactly the same.

The cans in the casual dining are overkill- gone. So are the cans between the kitchen and living- whatever the Hell those were for.
First of, my wife and I just can not stop laughing when you said "The cans in the casual dining are overkill- gone. So are the cans between the kitchen and living- whatever the Hell those were for" and still laugh whenever we read this response again - thank you - you made our day with lot of joy.

Our taste of décor is simple, and we like warm and cozy low lightning - perhaps kitchen is the one area that should have lot lights to cook, area for kids to do homeworks (on the island), etc...
The ceiling is 10' tall in this casual dining and kitchen area and the island would be a flat one level 36" height. Table in casual dining would be rectangular and is 9~10' long and 3~4' wide.

We could swap the position of the Chandelier from casual dining to the island but can not quite picture how the rest of the lightning arrangement would be and also the parts where mini-cans should be. Can you please help with picture as your previous response. Thank you much.

Last edited by kutolam; 11-06-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:21 PM

13,394 posts, read 51,373,145 times
OK-
Plan 2

Pointed out the MR16's (mini-cans) and their general placement along with the chandelier placement.

Then the cans for the table- I'd make those Mini's also. Not so obtrusive. Or go with a single row of four 6" cans.

People always under estimate the value of having light! Not just a lot of light; but good lighting!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with reducing lights in kitchen & dining room-light-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or