Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:28 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Coffee table outside. Dining inside.
How would you rate the thermal efficiency of the door-wall? I love the look, but I don't see too many houses around the Seattle area incorporating a fully opening exterior wall, at least not on that scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
How would you rate the thermal efficiency of the door-wall? I love the look, but I don't see too many houses around the Seattle area incorporating a fully opening exterior wall, at least not on that scale.
Well since Dave is living in about 3° Fahrenheit right now (well maybe it went up a few degrees today) I would say it has to be pretty efficient.

Seriously, I'm sure Denver has similar energy efficiency requirements to California- what we call Title 24- that the overall thermal efficiency of his home is just fine. Great doors, they are not cheap though. I try to spec them whenever my clients can afford them.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Thanks for the 2nd photo, it just looks even more amazing. It's great how it's all one integrated space - I think that if you had a second dining room table outside, the duplication would make the inside dining room less integrated into the outside space. Now, weather permitting of course!, it's one amazing open space for relaxing and entertaining and eating.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
How would you rate the thermal efficiency of the door-wall?
OK. Not horrible, not great.
1. The door frame is made in New Zealand and the hardware is from ICON . Imported into the USA by Evolve Opening Door Systems in Denver and the glass is installed here (so, no pressure issues).
2. The first problem we encountered was heat gain in the Summer. The five panels face directly East and the sun comes pouring in. We had 3M Prestige 50 film (Prestige Series - Clear residential sun control window film for homes - Prestige - 3M US) installed for $850 by Home - Colorado Solar Vision and the heat gain reduction was dramatic.
3. The second problem was the original hardware was ANDO from ANDO and it started to fail as the aluminum is just too soft. We replaced it with ICON in 306 stainless steel.
4. In very cold weather of below 10°F, frost forms on the bottom hinges. We have learned to live with it. The good news is that gas for heating is cheap.
5. Would we do it again? Yes. It was THE MAIN SELLING FEATURE for the house.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:38 PM

671 posts, read 690,577 times
Default love that bling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love our blingy powder room that we just renovated, New Orleans style.

Yes, I'm a native of Nawlins. And a Saints fan. I try to be subtle about it but it's hard.
KA, LOVE your loo!!!!

Is that wall paper behind the sink? Or another specialty paper that you used? I think it's super! Agree that powder rooms can be "done up" in a variety of eye-catching ways. Yours explodes with bling- takes it to another level!

thanks for showing us the possibilities!

Dandiday

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
it is a a great look, no doubt, but one thing, what about bugs and flies? The doors dont have screens?
We have mosquitoes and flies here, that can drive you nuts, maybe not that bad in your neck of the woods???

Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default A reason to live in Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
what about bugs and flies?
What are these "bugs" you write of?
I grew up in New England with screened porches on the back of the house.
Everyone in Denver has a patio or deck.
The disadvantage of 15 inches of precipitation per annum is: no trees.
The advantage is: no bugs.
In the duration of one year, we get, maybe, 5 bugs in the house.
Our cats have asked for more bugs. We are ignoring their entreaties.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
KA, LOVE your loo!!!!

Is that wall paper behind the sink? Or another specialty paper that you used? I think it's super! Agree that powder rooms can be "done up" in a variety of eye-catching ways. Yours explodes with bling- takes it to another level!

thanks for showing us the possibilities!

Dandiday
Oh no - it's not wallpaper - it's backsplash tile laid vertically! Even more blingy!

Thank you for the compliments!

Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
What are these "bugs" you write of?
I grew up in New England with screened porches on the back of the house.
Everyone in Denver has a patio or deck.
The disadvantage of 15 inches of precipitation per annum is: no trees.
The advantage is: no bugs.
In the duration of one year, we get, maybe, 5 bugs in the house.
Our cats have asked for more bugs. We are ignoring their entreaties.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating