U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:42 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,071,571 times

Advertisements

I don't care for granite. But I especially dislike brown granite. I live in a suburb with lots of 21st century home construction and it is EVERYWHERE. The less expensive product the builders use, the uglier the tone and the grain pattern. I'd just as soon have laminate. I say, "Go light, no matter what product you choose, unless you have white cabinets." White, cream, or bone with small flecks of colors to complement your cabinets and wall color. The light will reflect off the counters and make the kitchen look bigger and brighter. Since I live in the Southwest, I also have a thing against paneled cabinet doors, but that's because it's very dusty here which makes it difficult to keep them looking clean. But if you're in Florida, either one you chose is probably fine. They seem to me to reflect the general taste of the nation. Traditional, not too dark, not too light. I've always liked a classic white kitchen, but they have become so ubiquitous in recent years, they will probably be completely out of style in five years. If I were doing a kitchen this year, I'd choose a painted finish for cabinets, since that doesn't seem to be as tied to a specific year. But for short-term resale value, a mid-toned wood is probably best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM

11,728 posts, read 10,874,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Wilsonart has come a long way. I really like the look and texture of the HD counters.
I'll say. The other night I was reading one of your threads (about your daughter's remodel) and loved the countertop she chose. BTW, her kitchen turned out so nice and after she changed the backsplash, it really made the biggest difference. I didn't want to post a comment there since the thread was several months old so I thought this would be a good place since you're talking about cabinets and counters.

I really like the Wilsonart Bianoco Romano Mirage. As for cabinets, price doesn't always mean the best quality. I know you'll find the right one, though.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:49 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,052,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree totally with this sentiment!

When remodeling, I always think about resale and the market, but I don't allow that objectivity to determine every single remodeling decision unless I'm ONLY buying a house to flip it. In a house I'm going to live in for 5 or more years, I find the balance between resale and daily living and sometimes that decision may cost me a little more money on the front end, but I love the results every day that I live there.

And like gentlearts said, I want you to keep the terrazo flooring!

That will save you a bundle right there and you can spend that money elsewhere. Like in the kitchen. But I think you've already bought something else so I guess that's a moot point.

Oh, you asked about the cost of soapstone. I think ours was around $50 a square foot.
I know you and gentlearts love that terrazzo. I think we will be keeping this house for awhile…don't hold me to that. I am the only thing Mike won't sell if a really good offer comes along, lol. Our gypsy life suits us…but really we plan to hang on to this one longer So yes I don't want to live with the things I really don't like regardless of what others think I also don't like spending a lot of money…and sadly $50.00 a square foot is a lot "to me". I've been like that since I was a kid. My father would pick me up to take me out to a nice place to eat. He would yell at me to stop looking at the prices, lol. I would always scan the menu for the cheapest thing I would like Same goes for Mike when he wanted to buy me any ring I wanted. It took me two years and dozens of jewelry stores to find one ring I liked. I looked at the price and said no it's too expensive….Mike said "YOU ARE GETTING THAT RING"…ha, ha after two years he was tired of looking with me. I told you I didn't like anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I had tile counters in my last house and never broke a glass or a dish on them. On the tile floor, yes, but never on the counter. I would hope that a glass getting knocked over on a counter wouldn't break it no matter what the counter surface is! And I have solid hardwood floors in the new house, so hopefully that will be a little more forgiving on the glasses and dishes that will get dropped on the floor.
I dropped a butcher knife one time on a wood floor and cut a chunk out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I won't say that I've never broken a dish or a glass but it's not an occurrence that happens often enough for me to base counter top decisions on.
It's the same thing as burning. Some people get crazed about not being able to put hot things down on a counter. I have never been able to do that so it doesn't bother me. We all adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can break glassware and dishes on any surface: laminate, stone, tile, vinyl and wood. I especially like to break things in the sink.
I would cry if I broke one of my dishes or coffee mugs….they don't make my pattern anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't care for granite. But I especially dislike brown granite. I live in a suburb with lots of 21st century home construction and it is EVERYWHERE. The less expensive product the builders use, the uglier the tone and the grain pattern. I'd just as soon have laminate. I say, "Go light, no matter what product you choose, unless you have white cabinets." White, cream, or bone with small flecks of colors to complement your cabinets and wall color. The light will reflect off the counters and make the kitchen look bigger and brighter. Since I live in the Southwest, I also have a thing against paneled cabinet doors, but that's because it's very dusty here which makes it difficult to keep them looking clean. But if you're in Florida, either one you chose is probably fine. They seem to me to reflect the general taste of the nation. Traditional, not too dark, not too light. I've always liked a classic white kitchen, but they have become so ubiquitous in recent years, they will probably be completely out of style in five years. If I were doing a kitchen this year, I'd choose a painted finish for cabinets, since that doesn't seem to be as tied to a specific year. But for short-term resale value, a mid-toned wood is probably best.
I don't care for white kitchens. I might be able to live with one if it was a small kitchen. My kitchen is huge…so no white. It would feel like a hospital to me….same as gray would feel like a garage of commercial building to me. I do like darker rich wood tones but I am not going with the darkest there is

We've been to busy to go look at stone but I really don't have high hopes for that. Same here…I really just don't like granite and the limited color choices on other stones. I do want light…so we will see what I pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'll say. The other night I was reading one of your threads (about your daughter's remodel) and loved the countertop she chose. BTW, her kitchen turned out so nice and after she changed the backsplash, it really made the biggest difference. I didn't want to post a comment there since the thread was several months old so I thought this would be a good place since you're talking about cabinets and counters.

I really like the Wilsonart Bianoco Romano Mirage. As for cabinets, price doesn't always mean the best quality. I know you'll find the right one, though.
She is so much happier with her new backsplash, lol. Funny I think most backsplashes are just too busy and they really do take away from a nice counter. I am not one for different colors and textures all over the place. Two toned cabinets especially would drive me nuts. I'm too anal for different patterns, tops, or cabinets. They would make me crazy walking into my kitchen everyday. I would want to "fix" it all the time, lol.

Thanks for so many varied opinions. I knew you all would help

Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 PM

248 posts, read 750,435 times
OP,

Have you really looked at the Hampton Bay Cabinets??? I mean really. They are are a really cheap cabinet. The Charleston ones are a plywood box with a decent under mount glide. Are the Charleston ones you are looking at sold by US Cabinet Depot?

I would never buy a Hampton Bay cabinet. If I need to save some money I would buy Americana Capital cabinets.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
OP,

Have you really looked at the Hampton Bay Cabinets??? I mean really. They are are a really cheap cabinet. The Charleston ones are a plywood box with a decent under mount glide. Are the Charleston ones you are looking at sold by US Cabinet Depot?

I would never buy a Hampton Bay cabinet. If I need to save some money I would buy Americana Capital cabinets.

I have worked with the Hampton Bay cabinets before and they really are fine. I do think they are better than the Lowes stock cabinets and I have those in my house in TN, lol. This time I am going for a fancier door oh yeah and the glides will be great!!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have worked with the Hampton Bay cabinets before and they really are fine. I do think they are better than the Lowes stock cabinets and I have those in my house in TN, lol. This time I am going for a fancier door oh yeah and the glides will be great!!
I'm glad you made a decision. I could not sell a Hampton Bay cabinet and sleep at night.

Best of luck!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
I'm glad you made a decision. I could not sell a Hampton Bay cabinet and sleep at night.

Best of luck!
I hear you but they are the best dollar value if you plan on only staying for 10 years or so and by then the styles change so you don't lose money to keep a current look

Either way I'm not doing them this time

Thank you.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,958,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I spend the money on cabinets.

Countertops are easily changed. Not so much cabinets.

I totally agree! The cabinets need to look good as well as function well. They are a big deal to replace. The countertops are an item you can go cheaper to fit your budget and replace easily if necessary or if you want a higher end feel and look. I am not a fan of granite and would go with laminate or manmade surface.

I found making decisions for the kitchen really overwhelming - go slow and be confident of your choices.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Perfect

Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,638,209 times
I see tons and tons of homes built in the 60-70s that still have the builders grade cabinets and countertops. That's 40-50 years! I don't see how cheaper Home Depot stuff could be any less durable. Sometimes I think people way overspend for durability when a much cheaper product will hold up just fine.....or odds are they'll tear out either product when they remodel within 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or