U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:37 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,052,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I see tons and tons of homes built in the 60-70s that still have the builders grade cabinets and countertops. That's 40-50 years! I don't see how cheaper Home Depot stuff could be any less durable. Sometimes I think people way overspend for durability when a much cheaper product will hold up just fine.....or odds are they'll tear out either product when they remodel within 15 years.

Agreed…I shop for looks(something I like) and price. I have never had a cheap cabinets fall apart on me or deteriorate. I have had a laminate seam melt from a crockpot once. Learned to use a cutting board to protect the counter

At least I know when the trends fade I won't lose any money on what I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,204,346 times
First I would pick local made to ore der cabinet if money is no object. but if money is then it quality of build and wood type . Red oak is always a good reasonable wood and available on many made to order semi-custom; even at big box stores like Lowes.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM

21,992 posts, read 13,064,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I see tons and tons of homes built in the 60-70s that still have the builders grade cabinets and countertops. That's 40-50 years! I don't see how cheaper Home Depot stuff could be any less durable. Sometimes I think people way overspend for durability when a much cheaper product will hold up just fine.....or odds are they'll tear out either product when they remodel within 15 years.
I had builder grade cabinets and laminate 2 kitchens ago. At that point, it was about 15 years old and not in very good shape. No major damage but lots of chips and dings and nicks on the counters, and peeling veneer on the cabinets. My last house was newer, but still about 10 years old by the time I moved out, and it had upgraded cabinets and tile counters with none of those issues. I personally think that most of the time, you get a better quality, more lasting product when you get a more expensive product. Obviously there are different tastes and standards at work, but I personally think it's not really accurate to say that builder grade kitchens are as durable as upgraded ones. They can certainly remain functional but they show wear and tear more rapidly.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 AM

12,554 posts, read 7,638,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I had builder grade cabinets and laminate 2 kitchens ago. At that point, it was about 15 years old and not in very good shape. No major damage but lots of chips and dings and nicks on the counters, and peeling veneer on the cabinets. My last house was newer, but still about 10 years old by the time I moved out, and it had upgraded cabinets and tile counters with none of those issues. I personally think that most of the time, you get a better quality, more lasting product when you get a more expensive product. Obviously there are different tastes and standards at work, but I personally think it's not really accurate to say that builder grade kitchens are as durable as upgraded ones. They can certainly remain functional but they show wear and tear more rapidly.
Chips and dings can happen on even the most expensive stuff. Durability will also depend on who's living in the house...if we're talking about a gang of wild kids that are swinging and climbing all over the cabinets, the cheaper stuff could wear out much faster than heavier duty stuff. However, if we are talking about mature adults that take reasonably good care of their stuff - just about anything could last them a lifetime. My house has the original 1964 builders grade cabinets and they are in good shape (original owners lived here from '64-'09 and raised two daughters from birth). I'm planning on painting them and hopefully getting another 25+ years. At that point they'll be 75+ years old.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,323,191 times
Our home is 25 years old. The kitchen cabinets are solid hardwood, classic style and nicely made. No structural damage to them when we bought the house 6 years ago....but the lower cabinets needed refreshing. We used a professional grade gel stain on them, after prepping them (cleaning and sanding lightly where needed)....the gel stain process is incredibly easy with amazing results....but the process can only be done on hardwood cabinets. My husband spent about 2 weeks (2 or 3 hours a day) redoing the cabinets....we changed out the hardware and they are good to go for another 25 years.

I would opt for quality cabinets if I possibly could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or