Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,035,328 times

Advertisements

Has anyone put this in their home? I'd love to hear experiences, both good and bad. The price sure sounds great compared to the California Closet type companies, so I'd love to know if there is some fatal flaw I'm not seeing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 AM

17,672 posts, read 29,570,689 times
"Some assembly required"
Instructions are not in English.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 AM

17,411 posts, read 65,576,721 times
The carcass is the inexpensive part-

The doors and all of the internal accessories are the price drivers.

And the instructions do come in English (if there is something to actually read)- most IKEA instructions are actually diagrams showing how and sequence of assembly. NO "LANGUAGE" REQUIRED!

Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,035,328 times
I should have specified that I would be using Ikea's delivery and installation services! So it's true apples to apples comparison to the custom closet companies. Well, mostly, I guess, since they come out and measure and plan, and with Ikea, I had to do that myself, although the person helped me figure out the online planner which is not exactly intuitive to use.

I am not finding the internal accessories that expensive, but then again, I am not looking for really extreme customization, more just maximizing the use of the space. It's a walk in closet but it's not that large so I want to get the most use out of it that I can. I'm looking at mostly rods and shelves and just a few extras.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,570,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I should have specified that I would be using Ikea's delivery and installation services!.
Don't.
Find a friend and do it yourself.
A valuable skill and will save you a lot of money.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:22 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,226,185 times
I wanted the Pax system but couldn't get it since it was going into a small bedroom that I converted to a closet. I needed something that could easily allow me to convert back to a bedroom should I ever have to sell and the Pax system would be more difficult to break down. If you go to Youtube and do a search there are tons of videos from people that have the Pax system and love it. Its a great cheaper option than the California companies. You could go even cheaper if you are willing to get creative. I bought the Mulig bars and Kallax shelving units with the accompanying storage bins to create a closet like this Plan for a reach-in wardrobe with personality
All of this together is even cheaper than Pax but if you prefer the more handsome, built-in look of Pax, I get that too. Great thing about Ikea is that there are tons of options.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:04 PM

69 posts, read 113,800 times
I LOVE my Pax closet!
I have the 93" tall by 118" wide version with gorgeous sliding glass doors. Unfortunately my husband doesn't want to take it when we move, and there isn't a place for it in the new house. I plan to buy the current smaller version eventually.

It was purchased in 2009 or so and was delivered. The boxes are too large and heavy for a car. I had little trouble assembling it by myself. It says you need two people, but I managed. The only part that you definitely need another person for is hanging the doors on the track.

It was moved once, and the movers damaged the base of a couple frames which has caused a levelling problem. Doing it again I'd just buy new frames for a new place and take the doors and Kompliment bits. (I'm actually taking the Kompliment drawers and glass shelves with me for the next Pax, because They cost the most and the new glass shelves aren't as nice.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating