U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 10,097 times

Advertisements

Nice room, looks cozy. But instead of a chandelier i would go with 2 floor lamps, maybe 5 feet tall. You already have those spot lights in the ceiling. The chandelier will make the room smaller. With the two floor lamps the room will look more cozy and you will see your stress fly away . If you do want a chandelier, buy one small to medium size and not to complex.
good luck, Hausloop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:44 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,084,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I personally think it is too ornate for the French countryish look of your room. I also think the lamp while in and of itself I like the lamp, to me it seems too small in scale.
I agree. I think it needs something that is simple and if you want a lamp in the center of the ceiling
I thought that this below (or similar) is subtle and artistic.

http://img2.sprzedajemy.pl/540x405_z...l-31608392.jpg

Other options vs what the decorator suggested.
Had to throw this one in (there are others that are either bark or twig structures made of metal)
http://cdn.decorpad.com/photos/2011/...862ba3a73b.png

Stone
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...dbfdb5da4f.jpg

With a round shade
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/13a1bc9802...able-lamps.jpg

Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,972,083 times
I've bought a few rugs on Overstock and the color has always been what I expected. I've never bothered to buy a small rug first; I'm way too impatient and cheap to do that!

I agree that the chandelier is a little too ornate. I like the idea, but I would probably go with something more like this:

Aranya 6-light Orbit Pendant | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Deals on Chandeliers & Pendants

The same idea, just with less bling.

Also, I don't know how much you are paying for the chandelier you found, but Overstock has that exact chandelier in bronze:

Foucault's Orb Crystal Iron 6 Light Chandelier - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Gallery Chandeliers & Pendants

This one seems more bird-cage-like:

Quoizel Regina Imperial Bronze 6-light Cage Chandelier | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Deals on Chandeliers & Pendants

Anyway, I'm sure the room will all come together and look great.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM

50,732 posts, read 40,119,236 times
I like the idea of the bird cage chandelier over the one in the pictures. I also think the table lamp is too small. I like the idea of at least one floor lamp also (but I love lamps). Personally, I'd use the table lamp and floor lamp for lighting most of the time and only turn on the chandelier occasionally - but I like the idea of having it there as an accent piece.

Go big on the rug rather than skimpy. Same with the art. If you don't, I think the room is going to veer a bit into "fussy country" rather than sophisticated French country.

Great bones though!

Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 11,030,304 times
I have been going back and forth on the Chandelier. I actually brought it back to the store, but in the end, it has really grown on me. I decided to keep it. Who knows, once it goes up, I may change my mind, but I am going to let him hang it today and see.

I also agree the table lamp is on the small side. I like it though. I think I will put it somewhere else and get a bigger one to go on that marble table.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:54 PM

OK. I'm no decorator, and for all I know it could be technically all wrong, but I like it! More importantly, my wife does too.

Now onto finding the rug, a bigger lamp, and a different piece of artwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Chandelier for a parlor...-img_3503.jpg   Chandelier for a parlor...-img_3501.jpg  

Old 11-15-2014, 07:07 PM

8,571 posts, read 11,459,328 times
Your home, your money you don't have to please anyone but the both of you, congrats.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 AM

39,184 posts, read 48,160,480 times
I was flipping through the Home Decorators catalog, and this rug made me think of your room. The color is sea foam, but it has some red and taupe in it. The rug is called Balcony.

http://www.homedecorators.com/images...l/01107310.jpg

Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was flipping through the Home Decorators catalog, and this rug made me think of your room. The color is sea foam, but it has some red and taupe in it. The rug is called Balcony.

http://www.homedecorators.com/images...l/01107310.jpg
That is really nice. Do you have a link to the place I can buy it? I am searching on homedecorators.com, but there are so many rugs to go through.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:31 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
I can't tell about the chandelier. I you adore it, then I think it is OK. On the table lamp, I would like it to be a little taller, and the table needs to be closer to the sofa, IMO. If you absolutely love the lamp then keep it though. These are personal choices. The lamp needs to be functional of course, but lamps are like jewelry. You can go different ways with different choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating