Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,265,578 times

Advertisements

We are finishing up painting our mud room. We had our coat rack behind the side door, but that never worked out for us. So we've decided to move the hanging coats on the wall of the side door. I figured it's dead space anyway, might as well use it if we can. At the bottom of the wall is a narrow shelf. Below this are stairs. I have included a photo and measurements.

I'm not a wood-working type of person, so making something myself isn't an option. I don't have the skill, tools, space or time to do it anyway. Plus the previous owner wasn't a very good DIYer and I don't want to continue in his tradition.

I'm looking for a system to purchase here, which may include two rows of coat racks and a shelf possibly with small drawers at the top of putting in additional gloves and scarfs. Or just a shelf that could hold narrow boxes for gloves or something decorative.

I promised my wife I would take care of this. Please help me find something. Posting of links would be appreciated. Suggestions and comments on this are also welcome. I have written the measurements on the attached photo, so please keep that in mind when recommending something because it has to fit in this space.

About the measurements: The edge of the wall over the stairs to the molding is 40 inches. The distance of my wife's reach for the top shelf or coat rack would be 69 inches. The distance from the narrow shelf at the bottom to the slope of the ceiling over the stairs is 40 inches.

If I'm leaving something out here, or you see a problem, please let me know. Thanks!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention the narrow shelf at the bottom only has a depth of 7.5". Considering how small this is we weren't planning on keeping anything on it. Figured the coats if there is a second rack would be touching this this shelf anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Mud room, need suggestions for hanging coats-mud_room-copy.jpg  

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 11-03-2014 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:04 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,961,734 times
Something like this for the bottom:

Holtom Storage Bench - Antique White

This hung above it:

Holtom Wall Shelf - Antique White

This wouldn't go with the other links, but I liked these coat hooks and had them in my last house:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...&Ntt=coat+hook

You can hang a few of them and they almost look like art when they're not in use.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, nikitakolata. Those are nice looking pieces!

After looking over the measurements I realize that something with a depth of 13 inches is going to be too large. Might have to give up on the idea of having a shelf there unless it's something very small like around 7 inches.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,733,146 times
looking for something like this? http://www.wayfair.com/Linon-Anna-Ha...Fehj7AodggcA1Q

Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,189,577 times
nikitakolata showed some good ideas. Here are a few more (the length and width would be easy to change).

Long Mudroom Design - Contemporary - laundry room - Dwellers without Decorators

Narrow Hallway Built-In Wall Mudroom (DIY).. - The Creativity ExchangeThe Creativity Exchange

Old 11-03-2014, 06:54 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,943,521 times
Maybe I am just misunderstanding but isn't that a dangerous place to hang coats. One misstep and you fall down the stairs no?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,828,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

UPDATE: I forgot to mention the narrow shelf at the bottom only has a depth of 7.5". Considering how small this is we weren't planning on keeping anything on it. Figured the coats if there is a second rack would be touching this this shelf anyway.
This is what I did in our laundry room for narrow space, the hardware is actually cabinet handles.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,961,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, nikitakolata. Those are nice looking pieces!

After looking over the measurements I realize that something with a depth of 13 inches is going to be too large. Might have to give up on the idea of having a shelf there unless it's something very small like around 7 inches.
OK, so in that case, I am thinking you could use this on the bottom (it also comes in white):

HEMNES Shoe cabinet with 4 compartments - black-brown - IKEA

Then maybe use the hooks from the container store I posted above above it (those come in white, too). If you need a shelf above the hooks you could get one from IKEA, or you could just skip that. The shoe storage cabinet could easily hold gloves, hats, or whatever. My sister has one, it's pretty awesome for a very shallow cabinet.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Maybe I am just misunderstanding but isn't that a dangerous place to hang coats. One misstep and you fall down the stairs no?
You raised a good point. I was thinking that the unit we put on the wall might not be very wide. We only have 40 inches wide of wall space to deal with anyway. I just measured and I can comfortably reach out 26 inches from the left of the side door. I will have to ask my wife to do the same thing, so see how far her reach is too.

I figured that if we got something that was 38 inches wide, we just wouldn't use the far left side of it to hang anything on it. This is assuming we got something that wide. If the coat rack were much lower we could still reach much of if I think from the stairs.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone reaching far over to hang up a coat, that could be dangerous. But if we keep the rack to a smaller size width, like under 30 inches that might work.

I just measured again. :-) I held my middle heavy coat up where it could be hung and be easily accessible while standing on the stairs, provided it is parallel with the bottom of the light switch shown in the photo. Have to ask my wife if she would find it annoying or uncomfortable to stand on a step to hang up or retrieve a coat.

Thanks for bringing this up, because placement has been a concern for me for this in general.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
That looks stunning, I wish we had the room for it though. Something like that would be nice in the entry way though. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating