U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:11 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,972,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So definitely a mix of approaches. We'll be using it every day as the main eating area, so I guess I need to factor that into the equation.

I'm thinking maybe a combination of a table runner and placemats, so there is something covering the middle to put serving dishes on along with the eating dishes.

If I use a tablecloth, it would be over the pads, so I can't see myself putting those plus a cloth on and off for every meal.
The bold would definitely be too much work for me! I would go with the place mats and runner if you can find ones you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,262,503 times
Quote:
I've always kept my dining room table covered with the table pads and then a table cloth over that. When I had my last house staged for showings, I took off the covers and left the beautiful cherry wood showing.

I'm getting ready to move into my new house and part of me wants to be able to look at the beautiful cherry wood every day, like it looked in the staged house. But I'm afraid of the wood getting damaged from daily use.

For those with nice wooden dining room tables, what do you do? Do you protect the wood with a cover, with the trade off that you don't get to enjoy looking at it? Or do you go with the "nice things are made to be used" approach and figure the enjoyment you get is worth the possible wear and damage?

Put the table pad and cover on before you use it each time or do what we do and use hot pads and place mats when we use the table, which is often.
I don't know anyone who has a wood dining room table they cover completely; why have the wood if you are going to hide it?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM

86 posts, read 112,795 times
I don't plan on covering it. I plan to use table runners and place mats.i love the look of wood.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:04 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Quote:
I've always kept my dining room table covered with the table pads and then a table cloth over that. When I had my last house staged for showings, I took off the covers and left the beautiful cherry wood showing.

I'm getting ready to move into my new house and part of me wants to be able to look at the beautiful cherry wood every day, like it looked in the staged house. But I'm afraid of the wood getting damaged from daily use.

For those with nice wooden dining room tables, what do you do? Do you protect the wood with a cover, with the trade off that you don't get to enjoy looking at it? Or do you go with the "nice things are made to be used" approach and figure the enjoyment you get is worth the possible wear and damage?
I have a nice cherry dining set, which is about 10 or 12 years old now. It sits in an open dining area. On most days, I have a centerpiece (sometimes a quite simple one) with/without a runner. I like runners for tables, actually, and I have gathered a few of them over time. When we have more that three for a meal, we use the table, and then I put a flannel backed pad over it and table cloth over that. I just bought a new table cloth, by the way.

I like how the satiny finish of the cherry wood looks, so I enjoy it as an arrangement even when not in use.

When we moved cross country, the only damage we had was to the table top, which we discovered well after we set up the table. The damage was to the leaf, which stores under the table. We had the top refinished, and all is well. It was not prohibitively expensive. But minor things just add character to the top, I think.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,683,524 times
A neighbor invited me to her home for dinner and I noticed right away her beautiful wood dining room table and a delicate antique piece of lace at the center of the table. It took me a while to realize that it was under glass.

The glass was about a 1/4" thick and was cut to size to exactly fit her table. I think it was some sort of plexi glass - so shatterproof, but, it looked like glass. Showed her beautiful table and very easy to keep clean.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

The glass was about a 1/4" thick and was cut to size to exactly fit her table. I think it was some sort of plexi glass - so shatterproof, but, it looked like glass. Showed her beautiful table and very easy to keep clean.
Plexiglass scratches easily.
It probably was glass.

I have glass on my butcher block kitchen table.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 AM

3,102 posts, read 3,030,268 times
Nice things are meant to be used...

We love this table. A single slab (9ft x 4ft x 4") of rosewood ~ 1,000lbs from a 300 year old tree. It was a lot of work to get this in the house.

We even let our little kids draw and do craft at the table.

Maybe in 10 years or so I will sand it back and refinish it if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood dining room tables - covered or show off the wood?-t2.jpg  

Old 11-15-2014, 01:35 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,119,241 times
I have to keep the dining room table covered: pad and tablecloth with clips.

I have cats.

When I have company, said cats are banished to the playroom, the pad and protective tablecloth come off....and Grandma's antique lace tablecloths are used.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 PM

1,363 posts, read 2,216,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
why have the wood if you are going to hide it?
The same could be said of any material. I have a "new" table that I will use for the first time on Thanksgiving and I'm going to use a pad and tablecloth. I plan to use both almost exclusively.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 PM

33,117 posts, read 62,006,885 times
In the dining room, I use a tablecloth for everyday; if I have company, I'll sometimes use a table runner or cloth mats with charger plates.

I change the tablecloth or mats frequently; my dining room and all my dishes are my toy.

My kitchen table is solid pine from Ikea; it's 30 years old and as tough as nails. Usually it's uncovered, or I use placemats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating