U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM

14,757 posts, read 476,481 times

Advertisements

Nothing on it but an occasional cat. It is part of our daily life. It took SO 30 minutes to pick table and chairs. Plain table which fits nicely into the dining corner, Castle Bromwich by Theodor Alexander
WiltonArmetale platters make great chargers and sit on cork rounds when they are heated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM

39,184 posts, read 48,160,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, I definitely have those thoughts which is why this is not a clear choice for me. But this is also a table being moved into a new home with a new configuration. When I bought it, it wasn't with the intention of daily use. Now, 7 years later in a new house with a different floor plan, I would not have bought the same table. But it's what I have and there are too many other things I need to buy to replace it.

Another possibility is to refinish the top with a stronger sealer, to provide a bit more protection. I need to look into how much that would be as I'm not sure I would do a good enough job myself to be happy with it.
So, maybe if I were you, since you and the family use this every day, I would just let the life you live be reflected in the surface of the table. Let it develop a patina over the years.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,620,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've always kept my dining room table covered with the table pads and then a table cloth over that. When I had my last house staged for showings, I took off the covers and left the beautiful cherry wood showing.

I'm getting ready to move into my new house and part of me wants to be able to look at the beautiful cherry wood every day, like it looked in the staged house. But I'm afraid of the wood getting damaged from daily use.

For those with nice wooden dining room tables, what do you do? Do you protect the wood with a cover, with the trade off that you don't get to enjoy looking at it? Or do you go with the "nice things are made to be used" approach and figure the enjoyment you get is worth the possible wear and damage?

My mom has a beautiful table and to save it she had a custom beveled edge glass top made for it...It has these little felt pads so the wood can breath underneath but you can't see em they match the wood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating