Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:23 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
But for now, it's muddy boots, chainsaw noise, and "special projects" in the living room.
I think I would be bored without all of that, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 12:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
All we had to do to make our "New House" our "New Home" was to move in.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:12 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Except for one year of my life, and including growing up at home, I have always had at least one roommate. To add, I have moved a lot from California to the Midwest, back to California, back to the Midwest, and to three locations on the East Coast.

Everyone has their own style, but there is one thing that stands out above all that differentiates someplace from where someone lives and someplace that is their home: a home is truly your own space that has a cohesion throughout that indicates that not only a personal touch went into it, but thought as well, and that everything has its place and function and purpose other than "I just like it". A home has a theme, a feeling, a sense of reason and being.

Where you live has random "favorite" pictures of friends and family, for example, in random frames hung in random locations throughout - even if you are trying to be artsy with the frames and arrangements. A home has specific pictures of friends and family framed in specific frames and hung strategically in specific locations to showcase who those in the pictures are and to indicate the reverence those people have in "your" life. You simply know it when you see it.

You just know you are in a home even when the design and aesthetics are so different from yours that you would never own such things in a million years, but you feel that sense of cohesion and comfort and reason for being.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on this. I prioritize comfort too. And a feeling of order and hopefully serenity. But I liked reading another person's point of view.

Color is my big thing. I am interested in color, and I pay attention to what colors I use in my home. And I like having personal things around me, such as art purchased on our travels, and photos, and pottery I've bought in places I've visited. So, even if I started with the floors, as the article suggests, I'd have to prioritize comfort and the feeling that my things help to define my space as mine.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I think most people would say that having their house be comfortable and "fit" them is important but it's also clear we all have very, very different ideas about what that means. For instance, I love an open floor plan and would hate living in a home divided into lots of smaller rooms. It doesn't mean I can't admire someone else's home that is designed that way, and appreciate that for them, that is what feels like home, of course.

To me, I think a big thing is to have confidence in your own tastes and preferences. Your house should look like YOUR house, not my house, not some house you saw in a magazine or on TV, but the house that fits you, fits the way you like to live, fits the things you like to have around you. And no one else can tell you exactly what that is.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

To me, I think a big thing is to have confidence in your own tastes and preferences. Your house should look like YOUR house, not my house, not some house you saw in a magazine or on TV, but the house that fits you, fits the way you like to live, fits the things you like to have around you. And no one else can tell you exactly what that is.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating