U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:20 AM

43,012 posts, read 94,991,988 times

Advertisements

There are very few flippers here overall. Some people have moved very often due to job transfers. Some people are actually in the construction trades and enjoy offering advice for people looking for answers on how to solve remodeling problems. It seems most people here have lived in a limited number of homes and enjoy updating them from time to time. There are quite a few people who are updating old homes for their own enjoyment and usage. IMO, the most interesting ones are the people who restore houses over 100 years old to period because it's a painstaking process that's a labor of love for the architecture.

I consider Younglisa a flipper. My hat is off to her and her husband for their energy because it takes an entire year, sometimes longer, for my husband to update one room. I wish I was married to a flipper. LOL I wish there were more flippers on CD because we can learn so much from them since they have incredible experience and can help provide answers to many problems members encounter when remodeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,022,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are very few flippers here overall. Some people have moved very often due to job transfers. Some people are actually in the construction trades and enjoy offering advice for people looking for answers on how to solve remodeling problems. It seems most people here have lived in a limited number of homes and enjoy updating them from time to time. There are quite a few people who are updating old homes for their own enjoyment and usage. IMO, the most interesting ones are the people who restore houses over 100 years old to period because it's a painstaking process that's a labor of love for the architecture.

I consider Younglisa a flipper. My hat is off to her and her husband for their energy because it takes an entire year, sometimes longer, for my husband to update one room. I wish I was married to a flipper. LOL I wish there were more flippers on CD because we can learn so much from them since they have incredible experience and can help provide answers to many problems members encounter when remodeling.
Aww…that was nice of you I love some of the older Craftsman's homes but I would never have the patience to do it the "right" way We went to an Antiques show yesterday and they had some beautiful old leaded glass…I just didn't know what I could do with it in our current situation.

BTW, how are you and your DH doing on your changes?

Mike and I have done a lot of different things and we are still learning, lol. I think any remodeling is a constant learning lesson.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,574,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
If you are in Florida tearing down and rebuilding can be a hassle. More power to you
I co-own a construction company with my brother so I know what we would be in for....it is actually beneficial. The cost of tearing down offsets the impact fees, clearing costs, and utility hookup fees we would have to pay on raw land, and our insurance rates will be cut in half plus I will be able to design it exactly the way I want it!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 AM

10,776 posts, read 9,393,198 times
Well, I've lived in my house for about twelve years now. I am doing a remodel top to bottom on the house but if that makes us house flippers, we would be the slowest flippers in history. I do envy the flippers on how fast they seem to get things done. With both my husband and I working full time and long hours at that, our ability to remodel fast since we're also DIYers is non-existent but then I'm not really on a timeline either.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I co-own a construction company with my brother so I know what we would be in for....it is actually beneficial. The cost of tearing down offsets the impact fees, clearing costs, and utility hookup fees we would have to pay on raw land, and our insurance rates will be cut in half plus I will be able to design it exactly the way I want it!

Good for you. Those impact fees are insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, I've lived in my house for about twelve years now. I am doing a remodel top to bottom on the house but if that makes us house flippers, we would be the slowest flippers in history. I do envy the flippers on how fast they seem to get things done. With both my husband and I working full time and long hours at that, our ability to remodel fast since we're also DIYers is non-existent but then I'm not really on a timeline either.
By then you may have to start all over agian Home ownership is a never ending work in progress, lol. My husband's family have all lived in their houses for many years. The longest I have been in any one house was from 1976-1984 when I was a kid…it's all downhill from there.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM

43,012 posts, read 94,991,988 times
Quote:
BTW, how are you and your DH doing on your changes?
OMG! Don't get me started! I can't blame it all on my husband's laziness because he had some serious health problems for a few months earlier in the year. Add that his work schedule only allowed him to work on projects on Sundays and the need for him to have fun golfing on occasion, which I completely understand, and it has been a slow process for sure. We finally got the kitchen floor in about 4 weeks ago. He was going to drag it out. One Sunday, he was stopping at 1pm when it was half done, and I said, "If you work on this the rest of the day, it will be done and you'll have never to hear me b*tch about the kitchen floor again." He worked until 8pm and finished it! I kept my mouth shut for two weeks about "now the trim needs to be done." He switched jobs last week and took a temporary pay cut for a better work/life balance. Now he has real weekends where he'll be home Saturday and Sunday. I had great plans for him last weekend but he wanted to go to camp. LOL

Quote:
Mike and I have done a lot of different things and we are still learning, lol. I think any remodeling is a constant learning lesson.
I do enjoy remodeling. It's one of the shared interests my husband and I have. There are just some things I can't do on my own until he teaches me something. It took two weeks for him to get a special saw out and show me how to use it. Often I can figure it out on the internet, but it's not as fun as working on things together. I think we're going to make significant progress now that he will have real weekends again

Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM

8,205 posts, read 22,794,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OP, what on earth are you taking about?

I was reading through some threads last night and got not only the impression that younglisa was a house flipper, but perhaps a few other users, too. Instead of hijacking a thread, I started my own to ask the question.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,720,850 times
Nope, wish I was...

Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM

15,689 posts, read 11,412,311 times
Not a house flipper - we live in and love our homes. If I buy a home that needs work I get to make it MINE, MINE, MINE. Hubby is military so we do have to move a lot, but that would happen no matter what we did or didn't do with houses. Fortunately, we have made instead of lost money. But, it definitely isn't done with the intent to make money.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! Don't get me started! I can't blame it all on my husband's laziness because he had some serious health problems for a few months earlier in the year. Add that his work schedule only allowed him to work on projects on Sundays and the need for him to have fun golfing on occasion, which I completely understand, and it has been a slow process for sure. We finally got the kitchen floor in about 4 weeks ago. He was going to drag it out. One Sunday, he was stopping at 1pm when it was half done, and I said, "If you work on this the rest of the day, it will be done and you'll have never to hear me b*tch about the kitchen floor again." He worked until 8pm and finished it! I kept my mouth shut for two weeks about "now the trim needs to be done." He switched jobs last week and took a temporary pay cut for a better work/life balance. Now he has real weekends where he'll be home Saturday and Sunday. I had great plans for him last weekend but he wanted to go to camp. LOL

I'm glad your Dh is better. Yeah…sometimes we have to give then a little nudge and then bak off. It's all about balance. Mike says I manipulate him..but in a good way

I do enjoy remodeling. It's one of the shared interests my husband and I have. There are just some things I can't do on my own until he teaches me something. It took two weeks for him to get a special saw out and show me how to use it. Often I can figure it out on the internet, but it's not as fun as working on things together. I think we're going to make significant progress now that he will have real weekends again
I was afraid to try anything before Mike, lol. I have learned so much from him and I am mush braver. If I mess something up…well most of the time it can be fixed…but not with saws…no second chances with that.

Enjoy the extra time and projects with your DH. Being together to do what you like is priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I was reading through some threads last night and got not only the impression that younglisa was a house flipper, but perhaps a few other users, too. Instead of hijacking a thread, I started my own to ask the question.
Not so many….we have only had 3 houses since 2005 that we have sold. We have done some land development in between, built our house in TN and built a store… and the house right now will be a keeper at least for a little while and definitely in the winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating